The Student Room Group

Big banks should be split up

Splitting up the largest banks by way of a market share cap has been Miliband policy for some time, but today and in light of the HSBC tax scandal, Lord Lawson said on BBC World At One;

Standards in banking have deteriorated over the years. Things which would never have been done in the past are being done now. The big banks are not only too big to fail but too big and to complex to manage

I completely agree. Unlike the free-market radicals in the "Conservative" (Ha! MacMillan would be rolling in his grave) and "Unionist" (Ha! Despite everything they do that's calculated to insult and provoke the Scots) Party. The Labour Party takes a pragmatic approach; we don't believe in the fetish of freedom from regulation at any cost and no matter how much it damages society.

This would even be beneficial from a free-market perspective; the benefits that would be rendered from smaller market units competing with each other would far outweigh the dubious
benefits of economy of scale that, in banking, really are not that necessary in the 21st century

Edit: It's quite funny to think that Lord Green, the HSBC Chief Exec at the centre of these swirling allegations (and the previous instance where HSBC laundered billions of dollars for Mexican drug cartels) was put in charge of "banking reform" by David Cameron.

It gets better, he's not just a banker, but also an ordained priest. When you add Conservative cabinet minister to the mix, it's starting to sound like a joke
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Looks like you're in the wrong section of the forum...
Can't believe you are falling for this kind of dumb populist policy that does nothing to address the real problems. It's not that the banks were "too big to fail" but that because of the monetary system, their fate was strongly linked to the currency. This does nothing about over-leverage either.
The financial crisis seemed to affect more or less every bank in the entire world. The problem was systemic and related to the way banks interacted with one another, not just their internal practices. Breaking up banks may or may not be a good idea but it seems entirely tangential to the problems its supporters claim it addresses.
You're clueless. Those who don't understand a market should not be put in charge of regulating it.
Reply 5
Indeed. Increasing regulation on the banks and breaking them up has been a Labour Party policy for quite some time now, but hasn't been as well publicised as some of their other policies.

The most recent banking debacle demonstrates, once again, how untrustworthy the banks are and how untrustworthy the Conservatives are when it comes to helping these people who continually wreck our economy in any way possible.
Reply 6
Original post by viddy9
Indeed. Increasing regulation on the banks and breaking them up has been a Labour Party policy for quite some time now, but hasn't been as well publicised as some of their other policies.

The most recent banking debacle demonstrates, once again, how untrustworthy the banks are and how untrustworthy the Conservatives are when it comes to helping these people who continually wreck our economy in any way possible.

I'm afraid that in your partisan smearing you've caught yourself out.

The HSBC scandal relates to over 100,000 accounts held with HSBC in 2007. Given that the Tories were out of power i find your claim spurious.

Granted the electorate look at detail even less than people on here so the Tories will be tarred somewhat.
Original post by young_guns
Splitting up the largest banks by way of a market share cap has been Miliband policy for some time, but today and in light of the HSBC tax scandal, Lord Lawson said on BBC World At One;

I completely agree. Unlike the free-market radicals in the "Conservative" (Ha! MacMillan would be rolling in his grave) and "Unionist" (Ha! Despite everything they do that's calculated to insult and provoke the Scots) Party. The Labour Party takes a pragmatic approach; we don't believe in the fetish of freedom from regulation at any cost and no matter how much it damages society.

This would even be beneficial from a free-market perspective; the benefits that would be rendered from smaller market units competing with each other would far outweigh the dubious
benefits of economy of scale that, in banking, really are not that necessary in the 21st century

Edit: It's quite funny to think that Lord Green, the HSBC Chief Exec at the centre of these swirling allegations (and the previous instance where HSBC laundered billions of dollars for Mexican drug cartels) was put in charge of "banking reform" by David Cameron.

It gets better, he's not just a banker, but also an ordained priest. When you add Conservative cabinet minister to the mix, it's starting to sound like a joke

The only tax-scandal was the amount of money Labour gave the workshy and teenage Mums in benefits!
Original post by young_guns

You have to be careful here, because the tax scandal happened in HSBC's Wealth Management Division, aka: The Private Bank which actually, as far as I know, is not that big compared to rivals. Private banking services are a relatively competitive market as many investment banks, brokers and retail banks compete in this area. In which case, splitting up the market share of the retail bank (what you're talking about) wouldn't have made any difference in this instance. I don't see the logic as to why splitting up the bank's retail market share would have prevented the tax scandal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by billydisco
The only tax-scandal was the amount of money Labour gave the workshy and teenage Mums in benefits!

How much did you get again?
Original post by Quady
How much did you get again?

I have never received anything in benefits. You're not still obsessed with thinking I have, are you? Its so funny, considering the remainder of TSR think I own half of Surrey.....
Reply 11
Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug
You're clueless. Those who don't understand a market should not be put in charge of regulating it.

Nobody understands markets.
Reply 12
Original post by billydisco
I have never received anything in benefits. You're not still obsessed with thinking I have, are you? Its so funny, considering the remainder of TSR think I own half of Surrey.....

Well what do you do if you're not a work shy benefit cheat?
Original post by Quady
Nobody understands markets.

Several economists would argue that markets don't understand people. :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by Rakas21
Several economists would argue that markets don't understand people. :tongue:

:P

They are the worst kind...
Original post by Quady
:P

They are the worst kind...

They've got a point. Mainstream economics assumes that humans are far more rational and intelligent than they are.
As the banks are patently incapable of regulating themselves, it would be a good idea perhaps to appoint someone from outside to sit on their boards , specifically, to keep an eye on regulation?

Seeing as we own part of some banks as a result of bailing them out that should have been a condition of handing over the money.

Banks lurch from one scandal to another but with Mr Green , now David's business helper, in charge at HSBC, while it was busy helping millionaires, tax avoid, the time is surely now when something has to be done.

One thing is certain it won't be David Cameron who can be relied upon to do it - he's there to protect their interests isn't he?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pickup
As the banks are patently incapable of regulating themselves, it would be a good idea perhaps to appoint someone form outside to sit on their boards , specifically, to keep an eye on regulation?

Seeing as we own part of some banks as a result of bailing them out that should have been a condition of handing over the money.

Banks lurch from one scandal to another but with Mr Green , now David's business helper, in charge at HSBC, while it was busy helping millionaires, tax avoid, the time is surely now when something has to be done.

One thing is certain it won't be David Cameron who can be relied upon to do it - he's there to protect their interests isn't he?

The scandal occurred in 2007. Both Labour and the Tories should take a hit from this.
Original post by pickup
As the banks are patently incapable of regulating themselves, it would be a good idea perhaps to appoint someone from outside to sit on their boards , specifically, to keep an eye on regulation?

Banks do have independent non-executive directors on the board for this reason and also Compliance Officers.

The problem is these non-executive directors aren't actually 'independent' and are executive directors of other firms whilst Compliance Officers are often told to not go overboard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21
I'm afraid that in your partisan smearing you've caught yourself out.

The HSBC scandal relates to over 100,000 accounts held with HSBC in 2007. Given that the Tories were out of power i find your claim spurious.

Granted the electorate look at detail even less than people on here so the Tories will be tarred somewhat.

Why did David Cameron appoint Green as a government minister, then? Cameron's refusing to answer the question of whether tax avoidance was discussed.

Whenever the scandal occurred, details of the scandal were given to HMRC in 2011.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending