The Student Room Group

Bristol or UCL

Poll

UCL or Bristol?

Background information:
I am from Hong Kong and I have studied in the UK for 7 years.
I have applied to both UCL and Bristol and received offer (AAA) to study mechanical engineering.

UCL:
Pros:

Great international reputation

Great link with industries

Variety of courses in second year (such as mechanical engineering with business finance) as I am not sure if I want to study PURE engineering.

Great city, many people told me its great to live in London.

Many opportunities to meet new people

Cons:

Expensive to live in London

Not that great at engineering.

Bristol:
Pros:

Great engineering department

Great city with a good student community.

Cheap to live in Bristol

Great link with industries as well

Cons:

Not as internationally recognized

Smaller city?

So yea guys,
The main factor I need to consider is its international reputation, I am not planning to work in the UK after uni so I need a uni that is useful, recognized by the world.
Money is a bit of an issue but I can work during my study in London to make up some cost.
But is it worth it for going into a great engineering department but risk not being as internationally recognize as UCL?

If you are a student in these Unis please give me your thoughts and If you were me, where would you choose and why. Thanks a lot. :biggrin:
Reply 1
UCL has a better international rep than Bristol, but the engineering departments are both prestigious. If you're looking for international rep, then UCL is the way to go. The courses are both excellent, but if you'd enjoy Bristol more, you need to remember that you'll be spending 3/4 years there. UCL's industry links and reputation are really useful for jobs, though. I'd choose UCL in your situation as it seems to fit to your needs more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending