The Student Room Group

Triple or Double Science

So I have to choose my GCSE subjects really soon and I don't know whether to do triple or double science. If I do Triple I get 2 choice subjects and if I do double I get 3. I definitely am going to do Spanish and History but I don't know whether to do double science and do drama too. I keep getting told that Drama is good to relax from stressful subjects and it will help me to present things in future. I might want to do something that includes science though as I'm quite interested in Psychology. Basically I want to know if Triple science is worth it and if I did double would it really effect me if I chose to do a science at A Level. Also how important are your GCSE's really to universities and employers? :confused:
Original post by Red512
So I have to choose my GCSE subjects really soon and I don't know whether to do triple or double science. If I do Triple I get 2 choice subjects and if I do double I get 3. I definitely am going to do Spanish and History but I don't know whether to do double science and do drama too. I keep getting told that Drama is good to relax from stressful subjects and it will help me to present things in future. I might want to do something that includes science though as I'm quite interested in Psychology. Basically I want to know if Triple science is worth it and if I did double would it really effect me if I chose to do a science at A Level. Also how important are your GCSE's really to universities and employers? :confused:

Overall I would say drama isn't an easy subject, I didn't take it. But many of my friends did and trust me it's not a walk in the park, an essay with a lot of it being about literature. Triple science is hard to do well in, for the triple paper (extension) you are only competeting against those who take triple science so the paper and grade boundaries are higher. But personally, I'd choose your favourite subjects. Because when it comes to revising, it's a massive PITA to revise subjects you really don't care for
Well to be honest, at first I thought the same as you, that drama would be an 'easy' subject away from my academic ones. I quickly realised in the same way art requires LOTS of coursework/commitment, so does drama. I decided against in because of that, and since you're considering psychology perhaps triple science would benefit you as it'd put you at more of an advantage than your peers who might take double. You'll be more knowledgable and triple science will look better. In terms of importance of GCSE's, they're fairly imporant for getting into sixth form but they don't determine things in the way A levels do. Don't worry, do what you'll enjoy, if you genuinely think double science + drama would be less stressful go for it 100%, and if you're not as fussed about drama perhaps triple science would be for you. Good luck! :smile:
I didn't do drama but I did take triple science. I definitely think you should take what you enjoy doing, and I love science so for me it was a no-brainer. I wouldn't just take drama because you think it'll be easy as you will be in for a shock (I've heard that there's a lot of essay writing involved) but if it's what you're good at and if you enjoy it, take it! Likewise, don't just take triple science because it 'looks good' at the end of the day, you need good grades and by taking the subjects that you are good at and that you enjoy, you will be more motivated when it comes to revsion and coursework, and you will hopefully get good results (as long as you put the work in). Triple science is quite intense, but I do really enjoy it!
Original post by Red512

I got my GCSE results last summer and when choosing GCSE's wasn't too sure whether to do triple or double but I ended up doing triple science. The reason for this is if you mess up on one science for example, I hated physics so thought I wouldn't do well in it, then it doesn't affect the other two sciences so instead of getting a C overall if you did double for example but you were amazing in say chemistry and biology but awful in physics then, if you did triple, you would get like an A or B in chem and bio and like a D in physics. If you get what I mean it doesn't bring it down overall. Also psych is really good! (goes well with the sciences!) I'm doing psych at AS and would definitely recommend it at GCSE!
Reply 5
Thanks for all the responses. I never thought about Double science meaning I'd get an overall grade but thanks for reminding me. :smile: I am still mega confused but don't worry. I'd probably only take triple science because I thought it looked good but I'd also only take drama because I thought it would be easy. I've got to try and think of an option three now. :smile: I literally joined TSR 5 mins before I posted this so sorry if this posts weird or something. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red512

If u are confused between triple or double than choose from the point of view of what you are going to do in A levels or for your career. If you want to do medicine in the future than take triple science other wise choose double.
Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red512

speaking as an A level student who's secondary school did not offer triple and I am studying sci now. DO triple if you want to do science next year otherwise do double , may seem like more hassle but it will be worth it next year , i had to learn so much new stuff because i didnt cover half of it with GCSE :smile:
Reply 8
I take both Triple Science and Drama. I think I'm fine with both but for me it does seems that Drama has less work than others as we haven't started our writing records yet. I do recommend triple science if you are aiming for science, and it's a better atmosphere to study for sure. Hope it helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thanks for all the responses. :smile: I've decided to do Double Science and Drama. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red512
Thanks for all the responses. :smile: I've decided to do Double Science and Drama. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, drama is good (and difficult) but if you are going to take it. I really want to advise you, so that you don't make the same mistakes I did!

1. Always constantly write up the pratical explorations you do.
2. You'll be given a textbook, make sure you utilize that to expand your notes.
3. Plan your line learning time (never squeeze into last minute)
4. Make sure you write detailed notes on your live performance and when you do the additional units make sure write good notes.
If you always do the work and keep on practising drama essay writing, then an A or an A* is easily obtainable.
Do not slack off because you think it is a "easy subject" otherwise your liable to failure :biggrin:
I regret taking drama and would have rather picked triple but :biggrin: if you work hard, it is so enjoyable!!!
First of all: Don't, whatever you do, do GCSE Drama; it's a piece of sh*t. I thought it would help with confidence and public speaking and it hasn't at all. It's really boring. Doing GCSE Drama is the worst decision I have ever made-ever. While it is not an academic subject it is really hard and frustrating, the grade boundaries are ridiculously high. You need at least 80% for a B grade and it is marked really harshly. A lot of work is bull**** like drawing a goofy costume for your character, talking about the symbolism of colours on the costume and linking it to some crappy, abstract stimulus.

Also Double Science is what the dumb kids do. It is a mickey mouse subject. It is a dumb qualification as the Sciences are far too broad of a range of subjects to be contained in a generalized qualification.
Original post by TheEccentric
First of all: Don't, whatever you do, do GCSE Drama; it's a piece of sh*t. I thought it would help with confidence and public speaking and it hasn't at all. It's really boring. Doing GCSE Drama is the worst decision I have ever made-ever. While it is not an academic subject it is really hard and frustrating, the grade boundaries are ridiculously high. You need at least 80% for a B grade and it is marked really harshly. A lot of work is bull**** like drawing a goofy costume for your character, talking about the symbolism of colours on the costume and linking it to some crappy, abstract stimulus.

Also Double Science is what the dumb kids do. It is a mickey mouse subject. It is a dumb qualification as the Sciences are far too broad of a range of subjects to be contained in a generalized qualification.

Whilst I agree with your opinion on drama, I completely negate your opinion on double science I was not dumb at all and I took it. There is no difference between triple and double (apart from the extra unit) triples can still take foundation and doubles can take the higher papers. I am taking physics and chemistry A Level having done only double science (I had to bridge the gap, but I am not disadvantaged or dumb)
Original post by physicsamor
Whilst I agree with your opinion on drama, I completely negate your opinion on double science I was not dumb at all and I took it. There is no difference between triple and double (apart from the extra unit) triples can still take foundation and doubles can take the higher papers. I am taking physics and chemistry A Level having done only double science (I had to bridge the gap, but I am not disadvantaged or dumb)

OK I'm sorry I offended you. I take back what I said about it being for dumb kids. However I stand by it being better to do the triple.
Reply 14
I think I must have worded it wrong or something and made it seem like I was just going to slack off in Drama. I'm not and what I mean as a relaxing subject is a practical one as all the others I have taken are academic. I understand not everyone likes Drama but please don't go on about it because I actually do. I've talked to the head of the drama department at my school about the course and I like the sound of it. Also Double science isn't for 'dumb kids' there's plenty of really bright people who take it. It's just a step down from triple because some people don't like science. So not to be rude or anything but I asked this question for advice not so people could belittle my choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I only just saw the bit about taking back the dumb kids comment as my phone's going weird. Ignore the last part of my last post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is 2015 and students should be encouraged to increase their knowledge in science so choose Triple Science.
Up to you, in my school we do core and additional science (AQA) but my class is the only one in the school's history to do triple and we did core a year early which most of us got A's in a few got b's and 2 a*'s and it is a lot easier since I only have to revise the same amount as everyone else. Sorry for the long post but I'll say if you want to do science as a career go for it!
Reply 18

Quick Reply

Latest