Amyfoxxx11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

I'm hoping to go to Westminster Uni this Sept and was planning on living in halls until I found out they were in Harrow and Wembley for 1st year undergrads.

Is there anyone else planning on starting 1st year at UoW this year that doesn't want to live in these particular halls but looking to live in some form of student acc in London?

Im thinking of renting a room in a shared student house with other 1st years but don't know how to go about this...
s.g16
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try out pure city. Im staying here for year. its very close to king's cross with a lot of students from Westminster. Its an amazing place to stay and not to expensive either!
eleesh09
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Amyfoxxx11)
Hi

I'm hoping to go to Westminster Uni this Sept and was planning on living in halls until I found out they were in Harrow and Wembley for 1st year undergrads.

Is there anyone else planning on starting 1st year at UoW this year that doesn't want to live in these particular halls but looking to live in some form of student acc in London?

Im thinking of renting a room in a shared student house with other 1st years but don't know how to go about this...

Hi! I'm also going to UoW this year to study Sociology. I don't want to live in halls either and am looking to do the same but again I have no idea how to go about this... Sorry I'm not much help but at least you know you're not alone!
priceamy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, i was thinking the same because the accommodation is so far away but i randomly came accross WBSA student accommodation, it's on the westminster uni site 'private halls', same price for a twin room 179! right in westminster too
peterkasicki
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Amyfoxxx11)
Hi

hey guys
thought id drop a message as i've actually had hands on experience with this issue.

i was meant to be at university this year, however i had huge complications with accommodation. like you, i wanted to flat share because you can get a lot more for your money renting privately, than going to halls (depending on the area obviously, distance wasn't really an issue for me - i believe commuting is part of london life lol no escaping it). my problem was finding people to rent with...
i had a few mates that were semi up for it but ended up backing down last minute... stupidly, i didn't apply for halls so by the time they backed down, ALL of the rooms were gone at student court/raffles house apart from the studios... and they're a bit pricey for what they are.
I then got told to try victoria halls. they had "limited" rooms available and said that i had to send my application in by the next day however, I couldn't because my mum was abroad and you need a guarantor to sign the papers etc. I managed to convince my mates mum to sign it but she couldn't sign it until after 12pm due to work and victoria halls wanted the application by 12.... i begged them to wait 2 hours for my application but they weren't having it. I couldn't find anywhere else to live at such short notice so i had to defer my entry.
the ironic thing is is that victoria halls said they couldn't take any applications after 12 because of the volume they were receiving and the "limited" rooms, but having complained a few days later, it turned out they had loads left!
So i've wasted 1 year doing nothing (apart from working and saving), for the sake of 2 hours. ridiculous.

Anyway, my point is, even if you are planning on renting, apply for halls as soon as the portal opens. you don't pay the deposit until you get your grades in august anyway and then you will have a clearer idea of whether you will be renting or not etc. otherwise you will end up like me! i literally can't wait to go to uni. I'm so ready. working at a supermarket pretty much full time is not the one.

REGARDING RENT.
if you are renting then you need to be super organised. if you're looking at properties on rightmove, through estate agents etc. then you ideally need to know who you're living with and start the process June/July latest. They will usually ask for a security deposit, which is normally 6 weeks worth of rent. This will be held until you leave the contract and be refunded if there are no damages to the place. You also have agency fees which are usually about 200-300, it varies. Also you will need a guarantor, someone with a good income otherwise they will be reluctant to give you the place. Also, you pay for the month upfront, so you will need, 6 weeks worth of rent, agency fees AND the rent for the first month. it soon builds up!

if you are renting in a student house (a house that rents out to students only), then it's different. you just put down a small deposit and pay per month. they don't tend to be that nice though although you will get way more space than you do in halls.

Tbh, i wouldn't mind renting - i'm pretty sure i would prefer it. I was 90% against going halls last year as I think theres a lot of pressure to go out all the time and get wasted... which isn't me. i can go to bars and restaurants for a drink, pubs etc but i hate clubs. can't stand them. and club culture is quite strong in halls. especially during the first 3/4 weeks... and thats one of the main reasons i didn't want to go halls - because i didn't want to seem like a boring let down when i'd refuse to go out aha.
but now i'm not bothered... they do personality tests so hopefully they should allocate you a room with people appropriate. not sure if the system has changed though.
it's a good way to meet people as well - so the second year in you're more than likely to have someone to rent with.

SORRY ABOUT THIS ESSAY. I JUST WANTED TO MAKE EVERYONE AWARE OF THE MISTAKES I MADE. APPLY FOR HALLS, EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GO.
ill shut up now
desireeluciani
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm also looking for an accommodation, my budget is anything less than 200 pounds, i also considered WBSA but I found that the Veridian Goldsmith's house offers single rooms for about 140 pounds, any opinions on that?
International student housing has twin rooms for that same price, which is also convenient as its about 5 min walk from the marylebone campus.
I need to book as soon as possible so please give me some ideas!
alinaj
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by eleesh09)
Hi! I'm also going to UoW this year to study Sociology. I don't want to live in halls either and am looking to do the same but again I have no idea how to go about this... Sorry I'm not much help but at least you know you're not alone!
I'm going to study Sociology as well!
aaand I don't really want to live in halls either. I just don't think you get your moneys worth and the location of the halls isn't really what I was hoping for :/

Have you thought of student housing? If there's more people having that issue, we could get together and look for something?
desireeluciani
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alinaj)
I'm going to study Sociology as well!
aaand I don't really want to live in halls either. I just don't think you get your moneys worth and the location of the halls isn't really what I was hoping for :/

Have you thought of student housing? If there's more people having that issue, we could get together and look for something?
Yup I have pretty much looked at every student hall websites out there and as I want a place close to the campus (Marylebone) I have come to two final options: International Student Housing and Viridian Housing (Goldsmith's House). They both seem pretty decent but if you know any other student hall near the Marylebone campus that would be great!
robert buckland
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
**** just read this and dam. The fact you have to wait another year before you can go to university because of the accommodation is crazy! Im on a cap year working (starting this Sept at Westminster) , only part time and still hate it. Thats so gutting man... Literally going to apply for halls now after reading this.
peterkasicki
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by robert buckland)
**** just read this and dam. The fact you have to wait another year before you can go to university because of the accommodation is crazy! Im on a cap year working (starting this Sept at Westminster) , only part time and still hate it. Thats so gutting man... Literally going to apply for halls now after reading this.
yeah get it sorted mate ! I'm doing the same. I'm contracted part time but I exceed full time hours with all the overtime aha. had enough of working though

Posted from TSR Mobile
desireeluciani
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by peterkasicki)
yeah get it sorted mate ! I'm doing the same. I'm contracted part time but I exceed full time hours with all the overtime aha. had enough of working though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I still haven't found an accommodation and I'm getting really worried. I think my last resort would be to stay at the student halls in wembley if I don't manage to find anything else
peterkasicki
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by desireeluciani)
I still haven't found an accommodation and I'm getting really worried. I think my last resort would be to stay at the student halls in wembley if I don't manage to find anything else
like I've said before, apply for halls now! just so u have a place. u don't need to take it. I made the mistake of doing what you're thinking of doing - I convinced myself I'll be able to find a mod suitable place to live but the reality is, it's diffucult without knowing people beforehand.. it is London after all. you may be lucky enough to find an alternative later on, but just apply for halls now. you will regret it if you don't... I did aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (567)
34.26%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (681)
41.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.53%

Watched Threads