Can I do A level maths again? Watch

dnbhead
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm in my 2nd year at uni doing electrical/electronic engineering and I was just wondered if I could take A level maths exams again, because I know I can do alot better than I did as I got a D. I don't want to go to lectures/lessons for it, just want to take the four exams on the edexcel syllabus (C1, C2, C3 & C4). I know most of the stuff I need to know and I will teach my self in my own time for anything i don't know. Anyone know how I can go about doing this? cheers
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah you can, but if you have already been certificated it might be a bit tricky. If you have a certificate for A-level Maths and want to resit it, you'll have to do all 6 units again. However, I'm not sure if you can do this in your position, but I think you maybe able to send the certificate back and do the four papers you want to do. But you'll have to personally write to the exam board to explain why you are declining so late.
username51312
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maybe it will be easier to take exams from different board.
Why do you want to do retakes if you are already at uni?
The Boosh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
maths is a dull subject. try words rather than numbers,
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Boosh)
maths is a dull subject. try words rather than numbers,
That's beside the point of this thread :p:
The Boosh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
point is not the issue. we are talking about life, not angles.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm sure you'd be able to do it again, but you'd have to start from scratch (it's a completely new syllabus now anyway). Still not quite sure what the point is. If you have a degree in EE, employers are going to know you have a decent maths ability even if you have a fairly poor grade at A-level.
dnbhead
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Whyknows)
Maybe it will be easier to take exams from different board.
Why do you want to do retakes if you are already at uni?
because I want a decent A level Maths grade for my CV. I have an A for the maths module in the first year of my course at uni, but its easier than A level Maths. Having an excellent grade for A level maths is impressive!! Please could someone tell me the other exam boards for A level maths? Also, where could I take the exams?
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dnbhead)
Please could someone tell me the other exam boards for A level maths? Also, where could I take the exams?
OCR, Edexcel and AQA

Just phone local schools and colleges and ask if they are willing to provide a sitting for private candidates.
username51312
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
OCR, Edexcel and AQA

Just phone local schools and colleges and ask if they are willing to provide a sitting for private candidates.
I think its 15 pounds foreach module, so it will be 90 pounds in total
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Whyknows)
I think its 15 pounds foreach module, so it will be 90 pounds in total
Quite a few centres are a bit stingey with private candidates, I wouldn't be suprised if he found one which charged £40 per module.
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dnbhead)
because I want a decent A level Maths grade for my CV. I have an A for the maths module in the first year of my course at uni, but its easier than A level Maths. Having an excellent grade for A level maths is impressive!!
I'm also thinking of doing some A' levels, preferrably Pure Maths (C1 to C6) and Mechanics (M1 to M6), at the end of my Year 2 to get two more decent grades to enhance my CV with good A' level qualifications. I got a B in A' level Maths and now doing good in Maths at uni.

If indicating the 'date of qualification received' is not compulsory in the CV, then it will certainly be very advantageous for anyone doing/resitting A' levels after joining uni cos UK employers give some weighting to A' level grades (UCAS points) when choosing applicants for job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.72%
No - but I will (82)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (510)
47.62%

Watched Threads