Short video showing why our voting system sucks

Watch this thread
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago

The spoiler effect is what is happening with Greens and Labour now.

Why can't we make a new better more representative system that lets people vote for what they actually want rather than voting for who you like least?

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
The referendum in 2011 was the worst organised campaign of anything ,ever.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Ever thought people do get who they want?
democracyforum
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurroc...s_in_the_2010s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camborn...onstituency%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_W...2.E2.80.931885

FPP is dead.

The Av campaign was deliberately confusing and done badly. We need a new referendum, with a real debate on it.

The only problem is, many voters don't realise, you don't have to put down 1,2, or 3.
You could just select one candidate.

But what people may be too afraid to say is, are the British public smart enough for it ?
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by democracyforum)
no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurroc...s_in_the_2010s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camborn...onstituency%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_W...2.E2.80.931885

FPP is dead.

The Av campaign was deliberately confusing and done badly. We need a new referendum, with a real debate on it.

The only problem is, many voters don't realise, you don't have to put down 1,2, or 3.
You could just select one candidate.

But what people may be too afraid to say is, are the British public smart enough for it ?
So basically you're saying that peole are stupid for disagreeing with you?
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The problem isn't the voting system. The problem is one institution within the British nation state has to much power, the government. Changing the voting system will not solve this problem, in fact it would simply make the problem worse.
democracyforum
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
So basically you're saying that peole are stupid for disagreeing with you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...,_2011#Polling

Well, look at the areas that voted majority Yes. Cambridge, Oxford.

No, I am saying, the campaign deliberately made it confusing and played on people's ignorance, and was a massive propaganda campaign. People were told a yes vote was a vote for the BNP and other rubbish designed to scare them.

We need another referendum on it from a majority government.
dozyrosie
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

The spoiler effect is what is happening with Greens and Labour now.

Why can't we make a new better more representative system that lets people vote for what they actually want rather than voting for who you like least?

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/
I have voted with a PR system, and it is crap, it allows very minority parties to share power, in fact it allowed Hitler to succeed in Germany. FPP may not be a perfect system but it has worked well in Britain, giving us stable and balanced government.

We have had the referendum so abide by it, we don't need another until at least 2036, for the next generation.
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I would prefer a form of PR, the Irish one I think is my preference as you are represented by several people, so more likely to be one or more whom you supported. The EU and London Assembly one with closed party lists I object to, as there could be an individual in a party whom I dislike, whilst liking the party overall.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by democracyforum)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...,_2011#Polling

Well, look at the areas that voted majority Yes. Cambridge, Oxford.

No, I am saying, the campaign deliberately made it confusing and played on people's ignorance, and was a massive propaganda campaign. People were told a yes vote was a vote for the BNP and other rubbish designed to scare them.

We need another referendum on it from a majority government.
So oxford and Cambridge are the only clever parts of the UK?

Maybe people voted no because they didn't want it.

I don't.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dozyrosie)
I have voted with a PR system, and it is crap, it allows very minority parties to share power, in fact it allowed Hitler to succeed in Germany. FPP may not be a perfect system but it has worked well in Britain, giving us stable and balanced government.

We have had the referendum so abide by it, we don't need another until at least 2036, for the next generation.
PR does not allow minority parties to share power (well, not if it's a small minority). For them to even be in a coalition still requires them to get a lot of seats, and they'll have to have a strong support base for that to happen.

And if they do, so what? If a protest party starts to gain support, other parties should act. e.g. If the greens had a surge in support, other parties might adopt stricter environmental policies.
If a protest party ends up in a coalition after a PR election, surely that is 100% the fault of other parties for not addressing those concerns, rather than the fault of the voting system through which that protest was eventually expressed?

It does help smaller parties, but it does that by eliminating tactical voting and making protest voting much more viable - the party still needs to have the support to be able to win seats. PR helps minority parties, but only if they represent a significant minority.

Hitler got into power because he had managed to build up enough support - the success he had would have happened under a FPTP system. The voting system was not the problem there.
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 7 years ago
I know it's a bit of a left-wing shibboleth, but I think the case against FPTP is pretty watertight. The establishment like it because it keeps them in power. That said traditional PR is also pants. Like the Lib Dems (ugh) I'd favour a single transferable vote system, giving a much larger amount of power to the voter, without shielding any MP from the ire of the electorate.

Pity the Lib Dems threw away the chance they had for real electoral change on AV, a compromise which wouldn't make the system fairer in any meaningful way, other than that it just happened to be the system which would most benefit them specifically.

(Original post by RFowler)
Hitler got into power because he had managed to build up enough support - the success he had would have happened under a FPTP system. The voting system was not the problem there.
Hitler got into power because he managed to convince Hindenburg the communist revolution had begun, and he needed just a little bit of unlimited power (which he would give back, honest) to protect Germany. Even in a particularly painful time for Germany, he only ever reached about a third of the German vote. But oh well.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
You ever thought that they don't?
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
(Original post by dozyrosie)

it doesn't really matter what voting system you have when Fascists do their fascist thing.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
The argument about FPTP keeping extremists in check is something I've always had problems with.

It's basically saying "we can't have a fairer voting system because the British public will all vote for the BNP if we do that". It's stupid and incredibly insulting to the British public to say that extremist parties would be voted in to positions of power if we change the voting system. In the 2009 European elections, the BNP won 2 seats out of 70-something in a proportional system, and that was their peak - they lost both those seats in 2014, and have lost lots of non-PR council seats as well.

It's not the voting system that keeps fascists and similar extremists out of government. The British public overwhelmingly rejecting the racism of parties like the BNP is what keeps extremists out of government.
The_Mighty_Bush
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I agree that we need a proportional or more proportional system. Not sure which one is best though, any ideas?
democracyforum
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
People voted no to AV to spite Nick Clegg.

We demand a new referendum.

AV favours centrists and the Lib Dems and second favourite.

FPTP favours quality, not quantity.

PR favours quantity.

You decide.
IBIB
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It would be harder to form a government because a coalition would often have to be made up of more smaller parties. More instability because of greater idealogical differences etc
B-FJL3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
In two minds about that video. It did make the topic easily digestible but it also drew some rather debatable conclusions.

FPTP does not make a two party system inevitable, whatever "math" might think about it (if it does I'd appreciate some actual proof of that rather than a cartoon of a blackboard full of "math" and a meaningless graph). It then made the assumption (at around 04:00 I think) that, once a two-party system was in place, 60% or so actually didn't want the two parties that had secured 49% and 51% of the vote. Well no actually because it's very simple: if you actually don't want a party, then don't vote for them because if you do then they'll tend to get into power.

People get the politicians and the government they deserve. If they behave in such a defeatist manner, switching their votes to other parties because they think "oh well... our guy will never win anyway" then yes, you might end up with a two party system. If you vote properly and go with what you believe, and try and persuade others of that too, and maybe put a bit more effort in... well then maybe you might get the MP or even the government you want.

The whole argument is indicative of the current rather selfish, childish and individualistic attitude of "Why can't I get what I want? I voted for this guy and he never wins, so I'm going to go and have a big sulk over it and never vote again." It ignores the fact that you have had your say and you have had your voice heard, because that is exactly what happens when you cast your vote!

Besides every MP is duty-bound to serve the interests of all his constituents, including those who did not vote for him... so you can be represented if you get off your arse and go and speak to him. I didn't vote for my MP but when I wanted him to do something for me, I made an appointment, he actually came to my house and I told him what I wanted done.

All this is not to say that other voting systems don't have their merits, I just don't believe in changing something for the sake of it. It must be proven that it will change things for the better.
QuantumOverlord
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I voted no in the referendum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (57)
16.67%
The paper was reasonable (168)
49.12%
Not feeling great about that exam... (83)
24.27%
It was TERRIBLE (34)
9.94%

Watched Threads