The Student Room Group

AEA maths?

Anyone care to give me any insight on what this is, if it is beneficial ( do uni's like it) and if it is worth doing it? Got offered to do it not sure if I cba quite frankly.
Reply 1
Original post by Super199
Anyone care to give me any insight on what this is, if it is beneficial ( do uni's like it) and if it is worth doing it? Got offered to do it not sure if I cba quite frankly.

AEAs (Advanced Extension AWards) used to be available in all subjects but were dropped, except for Maths, about 8 years ago when the A* grade was introduced. The AEA is designed as a more difficult test of the A level content. The exam lasts 3 hours and the possible grades are Distinction (40 UCAS points), or Merit (20 UCAS points). There are some universities who make it part of their offer, or give a choice between this or STEP papers. It tends to be right at the end of the exam season so would not interfere with anything else. If you're intending to read maths it's probably quite good practice.

You can find out more about it here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/advanced-extension-award-mathematics-2008.html (You have to take the Edexcel AEA, regardless of the exam board you are taking the A level with)
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
AEAs (Advanced Extension AWards) used to be available in all subjects but were dropped, except for Maths, about 8 years ago when the A* grade was introduced. The AEA is designed as a more difficult test of the A level content. The exam lasts 3 hours and the possible grades are Distinction (40 UCAS points), or Merit (20 UCAS points). There are some universities who make it part of their offer, or give a choice between this or STEP papers. It tends to be right at the end of the exam season so would not interfere with anything else. If you're intending to read maths it's probably quite good practice.

You can find out more about it here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/advanced-extension-award-mathematics-2008.html (You have to take the Edexcel AEA, regardless of the exam board you are taking the A level with)

What are the grade boundaries?
Reply 3
Does an M mean merit

Quick Reply

Latest