username1692103
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
These are the subjects I'm taking with the exam boards and what I would like to get...

If possible could you guys provide any tips?

Physics AQA (Core,Additional,Extension) aiming for A*/A/B
Chemistry AQA (Core,Additional,Extension) aiming for A/B/C
Biology AQA (Core,Additional,Extension)aiming for A/B/C
Economics Edexcel Aiming for A*
Maths Edexcel aiming for A*
I.T Edexcel aiming for A
Further Maths Edexcel aiming for B
English aiming for B Lit is AQA, language is Cambridge
Psychology OCR aiming for B/A
Geography OCRb aiming for B/A

Any tips for the individual subjects or revision tips and tricks would all be useful please. Also feel free to post your exam boards and subjects and we can maybe make a massive revision notes doc for some subjects?
suirrel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
First of all, I 100% reccommend using the search function on the various relevant forums! There are loads of good posts in there that have a lot of good tips and tricks.

I did AQA Double Science and for that I recommend, starting from March-ish time, a mixture of BBC Bitesize, podcasts by The Naked Scientists (found on BBC website), Memrise/flashcards for any definitions you're struggling with, and EXAM PAPERS! Understanding how marks are given out and knowing what the exam boards specifically are looking for is what got me my A and B in double science.

For Maths (AQA, A grade) , I used Memrise to memorise things such as equations and circle theorums. I did so many exam papers, and then, closer to the exam, I did loads of selected exam questions on the same topics, so I could understand how to apply my knowledge in the exam setting.

In English (Single award, WJEC, A grade) I found that discussing not only the text, but the context it is in, was key in showing I understood what was written. The characters act in whatever way they do because of the context they are in - for example, Curley's wife in Of Mice And Men acts the way she does because she's a poor, badly educated woman from 1920s Southern USA. Her motivations are not limited to what the book tells you about, but also her past and the interactions that were not written about, but you can "read between the lines" and tell that they have happened. Show writing fluency and adapt your style to what is appropriate - for this I recommend you read!!! Read newspapers to figure out how to write newspaper articles, etc etc etc. Don't just write, THINK about what you're writing. Be clear, be specific. When appropriate in essays, add in your own opinions and also what you imagine other peoples' opinions would be of this ("the reader is lead to think XYZ... however some readers believe ABC")

Hope this helps you! Good luck!!!
username1692103
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by suirrel)
First of all, I 100% reccommend using the search function on the various relevant forums! There are loads of good posts in there that have a lot of good tips and tricks.

I did AQA Double Science and for that I recommend, starting from March-ish time, a mixture of BBC Bitesize, podcasts by The Naked Scientists (found on BBC website), Memrise/flashcards for any definitions you're struggling with, and EXAM PAPERS! Understanding how marks are given out and knowing what the exam boards specifically are looking for is what got me my A and B in double science.

For Maths (AQA, A grade) , I used Memrise to memorise things such as equations and circle theorums. I did so many exam papers, and then, closer to the exam, I did loads of selected exam questions on the same topics, so I could understand how to apply my knowledge in the exam setting.

In English (Single award, WJEC, A grade) I found that discussing not only the text, but the context it is in, was key in showing I understood what was written. The characters act in whatever way they do because of the context they are in - for example, Curley's wife in Of Mice And Men acts the way she does because she's a poor, badly educated woman from 1920s Southern USA. Her motivations are not limited to what the book tells you about, but also her past and the interactions that were not written about, but you can "read between the lines" and tell that they have happened. Show writing fluency and adapt your style to what is appropriate - for this I recommend you read!!! Read newspapers to figure out how to write newspaper articles, etc etc etc. Don't just write, THINK about what you're writing. Be clear, be specific. When appropriate in essays, add in your own opinions and also what you imagine other peoples' opinions would be of this ("the reader is lead to think XYZ... however some readers believe ABC")

Hope this helps you! Good luck!!!
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
11.03%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (87)
63.97%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (18)
13.24%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (13)
9.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.21%

Watched Threads