The Student Room Group

York vs. Exeter vs. Leicester vs. QMUL vs. City for Law

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian applicant who won't get the chance to visit any of the schools before deciding.. I've received an unconditional offer for Exeter, just waiting on the others. I want to know about pros and cons for each university in terms of the course, the student life and the city, including expenses and job prospects, and their reputation.. anything to help me make a decision without being able to visit the schools.

Thanks!
QMUL>York>Exeter>Leicester>City in my opinion
Exeter is undoubtedly top in my view- you see a lot of their grads at good City firms and a few breaking through into the bar.

Then probably York and QMUL. Both are not great for law to be honest, they are kind of mediocre "also rans". The big problem with them is their law courses are quite new and you will find a lot of people who don't even realise they offer law. The quality of the overall University is what drags them up.

Then Leicester ahead of City. Both are poor choices, I would advise against attending either.
Original post by Karina1196
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian applicant who won't get the chance to visit any of the schools before deciding.. I've received an unconditional offer for Exeter, just waiting on the others. I want to know about pros and cons for each university in terms of the course, the student life and the city, including expenses and job prospects, and their reputation.. anything to help me make a decision without being able to visit the schools.

Thanks!

Hi there.

I don't know if you will be returning back to Canada after you finish your degree, but I can tell you that given your circumstances, the situation would be different than what the others have commented.

Leicester has a great law program for Canadians, especially given its popularity among Canadian students, with the opportunity to gain insight on the transition back to Canada. One of the professors at Leicester is well-informed about the accreditation process, so that would be really beneficial to you.

A number of Canadian students go to QMUL and City as well. It isn't exactly the best choice, but it is conveniently located in London. If you do choose London, then I would go for QMUL instead.

Exeter and York would be good choices as well, although I would be slightly leaning towards Exeter given the number of Canadians that do attend there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I've narrowed it down to Exeter or QMUL but I just can't decide! Thanks for the feedback!
Original post by jenkinsear
Exeter is undoubtedly top in my view- you see a lot of their grads at good City firms and a few breaking through into the bar.

Then probably York and QMUL. Both are not great for law to be honest, they are kind of mediocre "also rans". The big problem with them is their law courses are quite new and you will find a lot of people who don't even realise they offer law. The quality of the overall University is what drags them up.

Then Leicester ahead of City. Both are poor choices, I would advise against attending either.

In commercial law you see quite a lot of York and QM grads with training contracts. York was fairly up there in some chamberstudent stat sheet.

Latest

Trending

Trending