The Student Room Group

why do others have good luck and not me?

i dont think its fair. i think i should have some of the good luck some people seem to get. why cant i have some of it, why do i get hardly any?
I'll let you in on a secret...

Spoiler

Are you sure it's luck? Maybe you need to work for what you want instead of waiting for it to be given to you :h: You haven't really given us much info...
Original post by Colonel Agansu
I'll let you in on a secret...

Spoiler

elicit
Original post by StarvingAutist
elicit

Why are you eluding?
Reply 5
Original post by damoni
i dont think its fair. i think i should have some of the good luck some people seem to get. why cant i have some of it, why do i get hardly any?

Maybe you don't deserve it?

If luck was something that could be traded, I could point out a million worse off people more deserving than us.
(edited 9 years ago)
Whenever someone says "I don't think it's fair/it's not fair" I imagine a whiny child crossing their arms and pouting. Why don't you stop comparing yourself to others and do your best at getting what and where you want. Maybe try and stop believing in luck because if you believe some people have more luck than you then you're just going to think 'why bother', and you'll never get anything at all. "Make your own luck" is a saying I've heard a few times, and I don't really think you can argue with it- it means just stop waiting for things to be handed to you and gain your own successes and whatever it is you want.
Original post by sliceofcake
Whenever someone says "I don't think it's fair/it's not fair" I imagine a whiny child crossing their arms and pouting. Why don't you stop comparing yourself to others and do your best at getting what and where you want. Maybe try and stop believing in luck because if you believe some people have more luck than you then you're just going to think 'why bother', and you'll never get anything at all. "Make your own luck" is a saying I've heard a few times, and I don't really think you can argue with it- it means just stop waiting for things to be handed to you and gain your own successes and whatever it is you want.

To a certain extent luck does exist due to social convention. I don't see why equally well-qualified people could have different outcomes (I refuse to use the notion 'fate'), as in how an ignorant person can get into Oxford whereas the other intelligent being is in a less well-ranked university due to finance or geographical location and gets a criminal record due to unjust politics.
you make your own luck in this game

[scrollr]:yay:[/scrollr]
Original post by Colonel Agansu
Why are you eluding?

What?
Original post by sliceofcake

How do you avoid bitterness in such situations as eg your partner cheats on you for someone they think is hotter despite you being in gym 3 or 4 times a week etc. At some level '**** happens' has to nlame someone and without some appreciation of luck and chaos you can easily end up blaming yourself for failure despite your best efforts.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
How do you avoid bitterness in such situations as eg your partner cheats on you for someone they think is hotter despite you being in gym 3 or 4 times a week etc. At some level '**** happens' has to nlame someone and without some appreciation of luck and chaos you can easily end up blaming yourself for failure despite your best efforts.

I don't think I'd be able to avoid bitterness, but it would be entirely directed at my partner. If they cheated on me for such a superficial reason as the other person is more attractive, despite my best efforts, it means my partner can't be trusted and is a **** person. If they don't have the balls to leave me first, that is. I would blame myself a bit, I'm sure, because I'm an insecure person. But the fact is, there's nothing I could have actually done to stop them cheating if someone being more attractive is all it took to get them to stray. I probably would blame myself at first, but it would be their fault. I'd look at it this way even if it happened to me and I've never stepped foot inside a gym. Luck would have nothing to do with it, it'd just be unfortunate that my ex partner had been so awful.
Reply 12
If you want to compare yourself to others, ask your question to someone with a severe disability or terminal illness...

Sometimes we don't realize how fortunate we are :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest