The Student Room Group

Dissertation Support Megathread!

Scroll to see replies

Royally screwed up myself. I had another essay and exam in late March and made the mistake of therefore doing the dissertation in early April/Now instead of February when i should have. While i can't the fault the quality i'm really not sure i'll crank out close to 10,000 (let alone the 12,000 word maximum) and it won't be as well read as it should.
Original post by Rakas21
Royally screwed up myself. I had another essay and exam in late March and made the mistake of therefore doing the dissertation in early April/Now instead of February when i should have. While i can't the fault the quality i'm really not sure i'll crank out close to 10,000 (let alone the 12,000 word maximum) and it won't be as well read as it should.

I'm in the same situation :/ I should have done most of it ages ago but I'm struggling to get participants. What are you studying?
Original post by meera.28
I'm in the same situation :/ I should have done most of it ages ago but I'm struggling to get participants. What are you studying?

Japanese aggregate demand. The main weakness will come from the literature review, methodology and word count for me.
Original post by Rakas21
Japanese aggregate demand. The main weakness will come from the literature review, methodology and word count for me.

I don't really know what this is :/ wait what subject are you actually studying? Method isn't too bad, depending on if you have participants, its usually stuff like very very detailed about where and when you recruited people or if you aren't recruiting then info about where you got your information like research and stuff from I think.
I don't really know what this is :/ wait what subject are you actually studying? Method isn't too bad, depending on if you have participants, its usually stuff like very very detailed about where and when you recruited people or if you aren't recruiting then info about where you got your information like research and stuff from I think.

Economics. No surveys, just quantitative data.
Original post by Rakas21
Economics. No surveys, just quantitative data.

What do you do with the data then?
What do you do with the data then?

Well after taking ages I've tabled it, i'll graph some of it and i'm analyzing it.
Original post by Rakas21
Well after taking ages I've tabled it, i'll graph some of it and i'm analyzing it.

Oh that kind of makes sense, whens it due?
Oh that kind of makes sense, whens it due?

Next week.
Original post by Rakas21
Next week.

Oh. Good luck :smile: it is doable :smile:
Original post by Rakas21

Get motivated and do it now. You can do it!
I am currently doing my proposal i study sport science with business but my dissertation will be sports science. I have come up with the title,
Could childhood obesity treatment and prevention dramatically reduce cardiovascular disease rates?

Does this sound ok, i am going to do a systematic literature review. Also is it possible to answer two questions in the disseration or does it have to be only one.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 52
Hi guys, do you include models in the literature review?

Or could you include models in the discussion chapter too? I would rather talk about them in the discussion, but it feels like it would make more sense to be in the literature review.
Original post by Roving Fish
Hi all,

It's coming to the time of year where a lot of students are compiling their dissertation.

First of all, I think that everyone needs a :hugs: You'll get to the end!

Take some advice from Dory!

This thread is intended to act as a central place for people to get advice from others that are going, or have been, through the same experience. Please feel free to share any issues you're having or if you need just that little bit of support.

You must not, however, post links to surveys in this thread. Please instead go to the Media & Research Opportunities forum. Please read through the forum guidelines before you post a thread. Please note that this forum has a moderation queue and all threads are pre-approved before appearing.

Helpful Links
If I see any helpful links posted in the thread then they'll appear here. :smile:

Happy discussion and good luck!

-RF :h:

I've posted these on the EPQ/IB EE threads but they're probably still useful resources for anyone who is trying to come up with a dissertation topic and struggling without much support.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/research-project <= a free 1 hour a week, 8 week online course on planning, running and writing up a research project.

http://www.edshare.soton.ac.uk/4068/ is again aimed at EPQ students (but ideally EPQ students with access to a university library) and has a whole bunch of good subject related resources.

http://www.learnwithus.southampton.ac.uk/academicSkills/ these have some really simple guides to planning essays, effective reading, conducting research, referencing etc etc which are particularly useful if you're writing up a research project/dissertation after a degree that hasn't involved a lot of essay writing.

tbh most of these would probably be more use to people PRE dissertation rather than anyone who's part way through but I find them quite handy because they're aimed at pre-uni students - there's no assumption that you know everything :biggrin:

Edit: also http://web.anglia.ac.uk/anet/student_services/public/Oct2010%20-%20Dissertation%20guide.pdf (despite the crappy layout) has some very useful practical advice/support for different types of research and dissertation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sarah1423
I am currently doing my proposal i study sport science with business but my dissertation will be sports science. I have come up with the title,
Could childhood obesity treatment and prevention dramatically reduce cardiovascular disease rates?

Does this sound ok, i am going to do a systematic literature review. Also is it possible to answer two questions in the disseration or does it have to be only one.

Thanks for your help :smile:

Hey, I'm not sure how it works with your course but I would say you should consider rephrasing it so its not really a question. I think with stuff like this you can have more than one aim as far as I am aware although its probably better to stick to one but it depends on what you mean.

Original post by hoozaha
Hi guys, do you include models in the literature review?

Or could you include models in the discussion chapter too? I would rather talk about them in the discussion, but it feels like it would make more sense to be in the literature review.

Hey what subject are you studying? I would say that its best in the literature review if it has relevance as some lecturers prefer that there are not new references in the discussion. However, you can mention the models used in the literature review in the model on how they supported or went against your findings and that sort of thing. I think when it comes to future research you can also say that certain models can be used if you're suggesting an intervention depending on your subject of study. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 55

Hey what subject are you studying? I would say that its best in the literature review if it has relevance as some lecturers prefer that there are not new references in the discussion. However, you can mention the models used in the literature review in the model on how they supported or went against your findings and that sort of thing. I think when it comes to future research you can also say that certain models can be used if you're suggesting an intervention depending on your subject of study. Hope that helps :smile:

Hi, I am studying business. Thank you so much, that was very helpful
It was under the word limit and late but i finally submitted something i hope will pass. It just means i need to push harder on my other essays to make sure i'm over the grade boundary.
Original post by Rakas21
It was under the word limit and late but i finally submitted something i hope will pass. It just means i need to push harder on my other essays to make sure i'm over the grade boundary.

If its late does that mean it gets capped or were they okay with it in your case?
If its late does that mean it gets capped or were they okay with it in your case?

I think i lose 5% or 10%.
Original post by Rakas21
I think i lose 5% or 10%.

Oh right, you still have a chance of doing well then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending