Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think the worst thing about breast implants is that so many people who don't need them are having them done. The programme that I saw which made me start this thread showed a beautiful 18 year old girl go from a 34C to a 34F. Her breasts ended up looking grotesque, her frame was too small to carry them off, and she ended up ruining her career. She was amodel, and had been photographed by playboy prior to the operation. They advised her not to have breast implants, but she said she 'wanted to look like Pamela Anderson'. Playboy told her that if she had her boobs done, that it could ruin any chance she had of appearing in Playboy, as the natural, girl next door look was coming back.

I can understand why some people have it done in rare instances, but the fact that it's so wide-spread now and seen as a 'normal' thing is worrying, because a lot of impressionable women think they have to get implants to conform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What do you mean by that you dildo? A 1/250,000 chance of not waking up from surgery is a risk most people would take wouldn't they?

We weigh up and take risks all our lives. Nothing is risk free.
    Lol! Can't say I've ever been called a dildo before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I think the worst thing about breast implants is that so many people who don't need them are having them done. The programme that I saw which made me start this thread showed a beautiful 18 year old girl go from a 34C to a 34F. Her breasts ended up looking grotesque, her frame was too small to carry them off, and she ended up ruining her career. She was amodel, and had been photographed by playboy prior to the operation. They advised her not to have breast implants, but she said she 'wanted to look like Pamela Anderson'. Playboy told her that if she had her boobs done, that it could ruin any chance she had of appearing in Playboy, as the natural, girl next door look was coming back.

I can understand why some people have it done in rare instances, but the fact that it's so wide-spread now and seen as a 'normal' thing is worrying, because a lot of impressionable women think they have to get implants to conform.
    i think i saw that programme. was it MTV's I Want A Famous Face? i thought that she was really pretty before the op too and after it they just looked too big and really unnatural.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    i think i saw that programme. was it MTV's I Want A Famous Face? i thought that she was really pretty before the op too and after it they just looked too big and really unnatural.
    Yeah it was that show. Didn't she look so much better before! Shouldn't have got her lips done either, she was naturally beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Yeah it was that show. Didn't she look so much better before! Shouldn't have got her lips done either, she was naturally beautiful.
    yup, she was really pretty. i can't belive they told her to lose weight either, i thought she was stunning.

did you see the programme straight after it with the man who had breast implants in order to look like J-Lo? that was just scary! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    did you see the programme straight after it with the man who had breast implants in order to look like J-Lo? that was just scary! :eek:
    Lol, yeah. There have been some very funny episodes of that MTV show. The guys that wanted to look like Brad Pitt, and, well... didn't. The woman who had her stomach cut up to look like Kate Winslet and now has a massive massive scar on her stomach. Maybe people will realise plastic surgery isn't all it's cracked up to be!

ReputationRep:
    wasnt there an episode of the simpsons on sky where marge gets breast implants? i've only heard of it. i havnt got sky.

ReputationRep:
    It is much more important for boobies to be soft and and pert than to be big. It's that simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I don't like the idea of them atall. You may aswell make them out of plastic and stick them on the outside with ducktape, it'll be no less real than implants.
    you can get them...chicken fillets. exactly the same thing you have inserted but you put it in your bra instead.

also, i am 18 and my boobs have been growing recently, having stayed the same size for 3 years. to get implants at 18 seems a very ill-thought out idea, because you really don't stop growing or at least changing shape until about 20/21...it might be a waste of money!

ReputationRep:
    for the girl at 18 to get implants just sound as if the decision is an immature one. and for her to do it so soon suggests that she's been affected by what shes surrounded and exposed to and i'm guessing that she is assuming that with the extra volume in her breasts will change how people see her when you overcome the initial hype over an unnaturally endowed figure you are back to sqaure one, just exactly where you started.

what she will get as a result of having breast implants won't bring her anything permanent that she'll cherish. it is such a bad idea. why do americans think so ill-mindedly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think with all plastic surgery there should be some type of phychological analysis if there isn't already to make sure that they don't have some sort of Body dismorphic disorder (I think it is called). I don't see why haveing plastic surgery is bad if the person really doesn't like that part of their body and it will make them feel more consfident if they have surgery.
    But why shouldn't someone with BDD have plastic surgery?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    I would never stop anyone from having them done, but I don't agree with any cosmetic surgery bar from disfigurement or similar- e.g. skin grafts after an accident or breast reconstruction after a masectomy.

It's hard enough being a female in today's society (and it's becoming that way for males too). Very high standards are set up for women physically, and it takes a very strong and admirable woman who can say "screw the system, I'm 100% happy as I am". Eating disorders are rising and rising in both males and females because we are taught that looks are important and that anything less than perfection is unacceptable.

I think that plastic surgery is just making things worse and worse- not only does the woman in the music video, magazine ad and catwalk fit the ideal of size eight with large breasts, the woman who lives next door can too, provided she can get hold of the money. This means that women who aren't as confident in their own natural beauty will feel pressured to look the same- because who wants to be the person next to the girl who turns heads? The unrealistic image of beauty will become closer and closer to home, as if the rates continue than soon everyone will know someone who has had a procedure. Why must we be made to feel that to be happy, confident and gorgeous then we must pay 3 grand to a surgeon to cut us up at risk, giving us painful side effects and a look that, let's face it, will be no-where near as good as we hope. One advertisement I saw in the back of a magazine proclaimed, "Summer confidence starts here!". If that isn't blatantly confirming what I'm trying to say, then nothing will.

So to sum up, I think that all in all, they're a bad thing because they just help to subscribe to an unnatural ideal. Beauty often comes with imperfections and who says that having huge breasts equates beauty and happiness anyway? The likes of Lolo Ferrari (is that her name?), Jordan and Alicia Douvall rarely come up in most beautiful lists. And unless you believe the rumours, Britney Spears, voted no. 1 in FHM's most sexiest women didn't need implants to be rated so highly!

Eating disorders are not about looking pretty or trying to fit in. Please do not confuse the issue

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.