How much MOT when taxing a car

Watch
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My tax is due for renewal on the 1st of march and My MOT expires 15 March. Does my car have to have a certain amount of MOT to be taxed or is it a case of just having a valid MOT on the day of renewal.

I'll probably leave my car to be MOTd in the first week of march when I have some more money and do my tax today, I assume this will be ok? just wanted to double check.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blue n white army)
My tax is due for renewal on the 1st of march and My MOT expires 15 March. Does my car have to have a certain amount of MOT to be taxed or is it a case of just having a valid MOT on the day of renewal.

I'll probably leave my car to be MOTd in the first week of march when I have some more money and do my tax today, I assume this will be ok? just wanted to double check.
The MOT only needs to be valid on the date the tax comes into force. This will be checked automatically when you renew it either on-line or at a post office.

Be aware that Tax, Insurance and MOT status are now all checked automatically by the ANPR system and an out of date MOT will get you a fixed penalty fine.

Worse, if you get pulled over with no MOT or are involved in an accident (police attend) and your vehicle has any MOT failure condition, you will pick up both a fine and 3 penalty points for each failure.

That means 3 points for a defective lamp, 3 points for defective windscreen washer/wiper, 3 points for each and every tyre that's not roadworthy, 3 points for a chipped windscreen etc. So you could end up getting your vehicle seized as well as losing your licence under the totting up procedure.

Be warned.
boomsmitty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mate, you can MOT your motor 30 days before it runs out nowadays. An MOT is a test to make sure the car is roadworthy; brakes working, steering wheel attached etc.

Once you get your MOT then get your tax. You can't drive your car if it doesn't have an MOT and you will have to get it SORN - declared off road - if you can't afford to MOT or tax it yet.
boomsmitty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry, I just noticed that you said you have a valid MOT already and that it expires after your tax.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blue n white army)

The MOT just has to be valid and in date on the day that the new tax will come into force. This will be checked on the system electronically when you renew it at the post office or on the phone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (61)
15.37%
I'm not sure (14)
3.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (134)
33.75%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.51%
I'm not a current university student (182)
45.84%

Watched Threads