Where is classes as being northern?!

Watch
frances98
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ok, this has bugged me for quite a while where places like Manchester get classed as being a northern city! Im sorry but I live about 45 minutes from the Scottish border (I don't want to give my location out online). Its something that has annoywd me for a long time with the whole north south divide thing!

Thoughts anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Cumbria and Northumberland are the north. Manchester, Yorkshire and so on is mid north.
DiddyDec01
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Anything above Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Drunk Punx
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Manchester is closer to the Scottish border than it is the South coast, ergo it's Northern. Why does that irk you? :lol:
frances98
Rep:
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
Manchester is closer to the Scottish border than it is the South coast, ergo it's Northern. Why does that irk you? :lol:
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Anything above Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by william walker)
Cumbria and Northumberland are the north. Manchester, Yorkshire and so on is mid north.
Where do you all class as midlands and the south then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
Why the south coast? Why not where the southern English regions begin?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
For me I class Nottingham as the first northern city.
Drunk Punx
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
Why the south coast? Why not where the southern English regions begin?
Most Northern English land border/most Southern English land border.

(Original post by frances98)
South is anything under London (I don't want to include London in it even though I probably should, purely because 90% of the time when I'm obviously coming across as "Southern" to Northerners, they ask me what part of London I'm from :sigh: ), Midlands is anything between that and the North.
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Anything on the same lines as Nottingham and above can be taken as Northern.
frances98
Rep:
(Original post by Raymat)
Anything on the same lines as Nottingham and above can be taken as Northern.
Nottinghams not far from Birmingham so I would still class it as midlands

Posted from TSR Mobile
frances98
Rep:
I think theres too much emphasis put on the north south divide and essentially just wondered peoples thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nogoodsorgods
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Forget Midlands (even though historically it's an area and, indeed, 2 counties). The question is to divide in to North and South.

All of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Staffordshire and Lincolnshire are 'North'.

Although the city of Lincoln itself so sadly feels like it wants to be regarded as South that it's basically lost to tofu munchers in teepees.

East and West Midlands are all 'South'.

There's sometimes debate about the likes of Lincoln - and Nottingham (county East Midlands) - but both are really 'North' if you have to choose only ''North' or 'South'.

And of course Manchester's north! You think Oasis are a 'South' band??

Just remember that some of the big Northern cities- and ancient ones like Durham and York- are less Alan Bennett intellectual and more 'Is Charlie coming out tonight? Supah!' southerner.
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I study in the far South West, Exeter, and I am sick of people saying to me 'Oh I am Northern too!' when in reality they are Mancs or something along them lines. Or when they say they are Northern and went to a boarding school—nah, mate, you're not Northern. Come back again.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nogoodsorgods)
Forget Midlands (even though historically it's an area and, indeed, 2 counties). The question is to divide in to North and South.
No it isn't.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It depends entirely on how north you are. I put the line approximately from The Wash to Bristol via Birmingham, at the furthest Wash->top of Wales-England border some people I know who are from a bit further north put the line above Yorkshire, then taking the piss we said Geordies put it on the Scottish border.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by frances98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, the south is the bit below the midlands. The midlands are the bits on a map that are defined as the midlands.

Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I drew some lines to roughly say what I consider the boundaries between the North and the Midlands and the South and the Midlands, largely based on accent, culture and to a lesser extent the history of those regions. The one for the South is not as well defined, but I'm fairly sure about the one for the North.
Attached files
TorpidPhil
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It isn't really geographical anyway, it's more cultural/social/economic/historical, in all of the cases Manchester is pretty similar to Leeds which is typically deemed very Northern.
Nogoodsorgods
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
No it isn't.
If you don't think that the 'north south divide' referred to in the opening post implies where a single dividing line is drawn across the UK then your idea of a 'north south divide' is not what we traditionally call a 'north south divide'.

The opening post implies that they want to know what is 'north' and what is 'south'; where the divide falls.
Often it's short hand for financial differences as well of course but, whether that's broadly true or not, they still want to know why Manchester isn't deemed 'south' and the content of their post implies a larger question in that as well.
DiddyDec01
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Manitude)
I drew some lines to roughly say what I consider the boundaries between the North and the Midlands and the South and the Midlands, largely based on accent, culture and to a lesser extent the history of those regions. The one for the South is not as well defined, but I'm fairly sure about the one for the North.
Pretty much spot on, other than Chester.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (60)
32.09%
Yes - a trusted person (50)
26.74%
No (52)
27.81%
I'm not sure (25)
13.37%

Watched Threads