The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Gonville and Caius College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I heard a rumour a couple of days ago that laundry at Caius is included... it was from a student at a different college though and reading the introduction matriculation brochure online has told me that it is actually charged for but "at a reduced rate". Does anybody know how much it is - is it worth doing? Or just sticking to the shared laundry instead

Some other data from Downing college about the other colleges said one college only charged 20p per item :O but didnt state which price corresponded to where.

(gets back to her revision and stops worrying about petty things :P)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 581
greenerwhiterblacker
I heard a rumour a couple of days ago that laundry at Caius is included... it was from a student at a different college though and reading the introduction matriculation brochure online has told me that it is actually charged for but "at a reduced rate". Does anybody know how much it is - is it worth doing? Or just sticking to the shared laundry instead

Some other data from Downing college about the other colleges said one college only charged 20p per item :O but didn't state which price corresponded to where.

It's free- we just go to the washing machines, put stuff in them and turn them on. Or at least that's how it was last time I did washing...a whole year ago :p: I believe the "reduced rate" thing means that they add a wee charge onto the rent we pay, but I may be wrong. I've never paid for laundry here anyway :biggrin:
Reply 582
greenerwhiterblacker

Some other data from Downing college about the other colleges said one college only charged 20p per item :O but didnt state which price corresponded to where.

Sorry but where is this brochure u r talking about? I'd love to know such laundry and other stuff details. :smile:
Bit of an odd question, but what's the graduate accomodation like at Caius? Do you get to live in college?
zizu88
Sorry but where is this brochure u r talking about? I'd love to know such laundry and other stuff details. :smile:

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:h:rqxaXvQkDgJ:www.cai.cam.ac.uk/college/tutors/Rules2007.pdf+caius+laundry+-windsor+-shakespeare&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=14&gl=uk&client=firefox-a
This is the html version of a pdf, it's now a year out of date but has loads of information on it (it is rather long though...).
Oh, and I'd like to point out to all you Caius chappies that I never ended up applying to Caius as I hoped I would, due to some bizarre logic on behalf of head of sixth form. And I hope you are all, at some point, slightly sad about my absence :wink:
Reply 586
shootbangfire
Bit of an odd question, but what's the graduate accomodation like at Caius? Do you get to live in college?

There are limited rooms in college. Most graduates live on Harvey Road, Glisson Road or one of the other lines of houses belonging to Caius up near the train station. Also some on kings parade but I never worked out where :biggrin:
Reply 587
When do u normally apply for an accommodation at Caius?
Reply 588
When do u normally apply for accommodation at Caius?And how does this ballot work?:smile:
Reply 589
you don't, and it doesn't.

until the second year.
shootbangfire
Oh, and I'd like to point out to all you Caius chappies that I never ended up applying to Caius as I hoped I would, due to some bizarre logic on behalf of head of sixth form. And I hope you are all, at some point, slightly sad about my absence :wink:

:eek: Where did you apply?

Thanks Chewwy! :biggrin:
I think I'm going to be applying to Gonville and Caius this fall for NatSci(Physical). Does Caius have a lot of NatSci people at all? Also, because I'm an international student, I won't have a chance to visit the college before I make my application, so I was wondering what accommodation is like there.

Or perhaps just anything that seems important about the college?

Hmm, this post may not be entirely coherent.
Reply 592
yes, we have a good number of natscis. the accommodation is nice - in the first year there's the stephen hawking building which is just amazingly, ridiculously modern, and most would say the best accommodation block in cambridge. then there's harvey court, which is older, but really social, and due to be refurbished by the time you'd get here. in the later years you can live in college, in various streets in the centre of town, or on morty road a little outside the centre, where the whole owned by caius. so yeah, accommodation is great, but to be honest you'll be happy wherever you end up living in cambridge, as long as it isn't girton.

caius is great, and as a prospective physicist, if you don't know already, we have stephen hawking. so apply.
Yeah, Steven Hawking is one of the main reasons I first started to look into Caius.

I'm pretty sure I will be applying there.
*Bump*

I'm so excited already - just got a letter from Caius as well (requesting even more info) but hey :biggrin: I hope everyone's got their grades!
Reply 595
Congrats :biggrin:

(Now you have to put up with me being terribly over-excited for the next month :p:)
Reply 597
WOO

where's chewwy?
Reply 598
I met my offer, woo! See you all in October!
Reply 599
Crazy_emz
I met my offer, woo! See you all in October!

What are you going to study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending