The Student Room Group

Im a Councillor and up for election in May - AMA

Nope, not TSR's Model House of Commons..

Cllr Reue* has been a member of the local council for 2 years now. Serving upon the Finance and Infrastructure committees. I was co-opted mid term but will be up for elections in May.

Ask away :biggrin:

*not real name

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What will you be spending your constituents cash on. Take aways or sex toys?
Reply 2
Original post by A5ko
What will you be spending your constituents cash on. Take aways or sex toys?

Currently budgeted for spending in 2015/6:

- Improvements to local pavilion
- LED street lights
- New hall chairs
- Purchasing of land from district authority
Reply 3
Original post by Baby Milo
Do you think there's an elephant in the room as Nigel Farage is always claiming? I've yet to actually see this elephant yet he likes to talk about it a lot.

Not anymore; He talks about it so much it's hardly an elephant anymore. Perhaps more of a Rhino.
Original post by Reue

Cllr Reue* has been a member of the local council for 2 years now. Serving upon the Finance and Infrastructure committees. I was co-opted mid term but will be up for elections in May.

*not real name

No way! :eek:
What is the balance between wages/allowances/pensions/perks and local services in your constituency? In my constituency is about half/half, which is quite shocking.
Reply 6
Original post by Juichiro
No way! :eek:

Yes way!
Reply 7
Original post by Kittiara
What is the balance between wages/allowances/pensions/perks and local services in your constituency? In my constituency is about half/half, which is quite shocking.

For council staff?

Low/Almost non-existant/Excellent/None - Services/infrastructure receive a majority.
Original post by Reue
For council staff?

Low/Almost non-existant/Excellent/None

Councillors receive an allowance of £10K, though, don't they? Plus extra money for being on panels?

It's good that your constituency doesn't have perks. In ours it's stuff like 40 percent of a bicycle for all Councillors and council staff. Even for just the Councillors, that's nearly £8000, whilst there are people needing food banks in the area.
Reply 9
Councillors receive an allowance of £10K, though, don't they?

The allowance amount is set by the council. £10k is at a district level, our parish level is considerably less :biggrin:
Original post by Reue

*not real name

can i vote for you ? :flutter:
Reply 11
Original post by the bear
can i vote for you ? :flutter:

I doubt it :/
Original post by Reue
The allowance amount is set by the council. £10k is at a district level, our parish level is considerably less :biggrin:

What's the difference between a parish Councillor and a district Councillor in terms of responsibilities?

Councillors tend to be party members. How do you balance representing the public and party obligations? What happens if those interests clash? For example, when making cuts the party supports yet are harmful to the public? Does this not create a conflict of interest? Who are Councillors directly answerable to?
Reply 13
What's the difference between a parish Councillor and a district Councillor in terms of responsibilities?

Multiple parishes makes up a district. Parish councils are responsible for local public buildings, playgrounds, fields, allotments, maintenance services, burial grounds and events.
District councils are responsible for highways, support services, education and health.

Councillors tend to be party members. How do you balance representing the public and party obligations? What happens if those interests clash? For example, when making cuts the party supports yet are harmful to the public? Does this not create a conflict of interest? Who are Councillors directly answerable to?

Our council is political party free through general consensus. Some councillors are aligned to political parties for the district level but not during parish meetings.

Councillors are answerable to the public. But on a more practical level they are answerable to the Governance committee.
Are you still committed to the construction of bunny runs?
Original post by Reue
Multiple parishes makes up a district. Parish councils are responsible for local public buildings, playgrounds, fields, allotments, maintenance services, burial grounds and events.
District councils are responsible for highways, support services, education and health.

Thanks for explaining! I'm trying to figure out the roles of Councillors in the run-up to the election :smile:.

Our council is political party free through general consensus. Some councillors are aligned to political parties for the district level but not during parish meetings.

Councillors are answerable to the public. But on a more practical level they are answerable to the Governance committee.

Okay, but what happens if there is a conflict of interest between people's needs and what the Council or the Governance committee decides? I guess that would be more on district level, of course, but still...
Score prediction for Hull/Aston Villa?
They let 16 year olds be Councillors?
Reply 18
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Are you still committed to the construction of bunny runs?

Absolutely. It'll become my primary policy.
Reply 19
Original post by anonwinner
They let 16 year olds be Councillors?

No, you need to be 18.

Quick Reply

Latest