The Student Room Group

Some Prime Ministers did not have degrees?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by A1112787
As far as I know, Chruchill and Major are the only two post-war Prime Ministers not to have gone to University (though Churchill did go to Harrow and could most likely have easily gone on to Oxbridge considering his father was Chancellor at one point).

In fact, if you add in Brown (who attended Edinburgh (though he had an offer from Oxford)), all other post-war PMs went to Oxford.

I think you'll find most MPs went to Oxbridge because they were independently educated and/or it was 'easier' to get in at that time (i.e. it wasn't quite as competitive considering the lack of grade inflation etc.).

The main factor would be that vastly fewer people went to university - nothing to do with grade inflation.

I liked John Major. He ran away from the circus to work at a bank.

Funny, isn't it?

Ok, David Cameron is a proper part of the aristocracy, but since 1964 the PMs from "actual" working class backgrounds have all been Tories except for Callaghan. All the Labour ones have generally been middle class professionals of some kind. It was only prior to Wilson that the Tory PMs were landed gentry types.

Mrs T - father was a greengrocer.
Mr Major - father was a circus performer
Ted Heath - father was a carpenter

Blair - father was a barrister
Brown - father was a church minister
Callaghan - father in the Navy
Wilson - father was a scientist
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Perhaps i'm strange but from what i've read he actually did his best politicial stuff while in the Liberal, rather than Conservative Party. Hard to say if i could have voted for him in the 50's as well, if memory serves the country was taking the first steps in abandoning the empire and relegating us to a second tier power.

That's an odd thing to be in favour of, do you mean you feel that your kind of person would have been a Queen and Empire man in the 50s, or do you mean with hindsight it would have been better not to lose the Empire?

Anyway, the loss of Empire was well underway before the 50s, even as early as WW1 and certainly by the 30s with high degrees of resistance in India and elsewhere. Let's not forget the fall of Singapore and then Stafford Cripps with his remarkably modern-sounding arguments in cabinet with WSC in the middle of the war, to accept the inevitable and dump the Empire. Eventually Cripps walked away, but his plan lived on.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That's an odd thing to be in favour of, do you mean you feel that your kind of person would have been a Queen and Empire man in the 50s, or do you mean with hindsight it would have been better not to lose the Empire?

Anyway, the loss of Empire was well underway before the 50s, even as early as WW1 and certainly by the 30s with high degrees of resistance in India and elsewhere. Let's not forget the fall of Singapore and then Stafford Cripps with his remarkably modern-sounding arguments in cabinet with WSC in the middle of the war, to accept the inevitable and dump the Empire. Eventually Cripps walked away, but his plan lived on.

With the views i hold today i would indeed have been an empire man. With the benefit of hindsight there are certainly things that should have changed and i'd have probably supported a limited withdrawal from Africa and India (basically giving the interior to the natives but keeping say the entire coastline and a hundred miles of land from it all along) however i certainly could not have supported our ever looser ties to Canada and Australia and was a great fan of the notion of an Imperial Federation. I guess what i lament most today is not so much the Empire but the potential to evolve into something great that would have cemented us as a superpower still for centuries.

All true. Certainly imperialism in the sense of conquering more countries would have been over at any rate.

It's also interesting that in 1940 and 1959 the French proposed some kind of union with us as well (albeit neither went anywhere) which was another opportunity that was lost. Indeed some of their colonial possessions (Madagascar, the coast of north Africa and Syria along with Vietnam and Laos) could have also been added to ours and been allowed to evolve.
Reply 43
I don't believe you can do a degree in 'running a country'.
Churchill was part of a huge gravy train - the gravy train of aristocracy. His family were amongst the highest and (in the past) richest in the country and his road to political career was assured from birth, should he choose it, which he did. He became an MP almost without personal effort and a minister later with only moderate talent.

Arguably he was basically an upper class idiot (he showed a lot of that in his youth, but I suppose that's forgivable up to a point) who was for a long time overpromoted. However, he gradually learned some basic skills and his judgement improved and when you combine that with massive background, the deviousness and bluster of the British ruling classes of the day, the Harrovian education and some solid skills in the area of cunning strategy and rhetoric, he did a good job during the war. He also made many very serious mistakes and we only won the war because the Americans over-ruled many of them and determinedly followed more intelligent policies against Churchill's imperialistic obsessions.

What? Churchill was in the military for a ridiculous amount of time, funded the first tanks and did all sorts of stuff that was not 'without personal effort' you sound like a left wing nutjob.
I agree about Lloyd George and MacDonald and of course Bonar Law, who was rural, Canadian and an Irish Home Ruler.

Churchill I think was part of the establishment, indeed at the heart of it. He was very much part of elite circles throughout his pre-WWII years and whilst he was sometimes identified as a maverick politically because he was against Baldwin and then Appeasement, he was nonetheless absolutely at the centre of the London ruling class.

I don't think it's accurate to describe Baldwin as an outsider in any real sense. Another Harrovian, he was related to Rudyard Kipling, he went to Trinity, he inherited a fortune and he moved in upper-crust circles.

Baldwin was the first PM in trade.

Apart from the periods 1924-1929 and after September 1940, it is very difficult to see Churchill's position on anything coinciding with the establishment view.

No to naval expansion (when a Tory), Imperial Preference (Tory) the House of Lords veto (Liberal), force feeding suffragettes (Liberal) and the abdication (Tory) amongst many others.
Original post by Clip
The main factor would be that vastly fewer people went to university - nothing to do with grade inflation.

I liked John Major. He ran away from the circus to work at a bank.

Funny, isn't it?

Ok, David Cameron is a proper part of the aristocracy, but since 1964 the PMs from "actual" working class backgrounds have all been Tories except for Callaghan. All the Labour ones have generally been middle class professionals of some kind. It was only prior to Wilson that the Tory PMs were landed gentry types.

Mrs T - father was a greengrocer.
Mr Major - father was a circus performer
Ted Heath - father was a carpenter

Blair - father was a barrister
Brown - father was a church minister
Callaghan - father in the Navy
Wilson - father was a scientist

That is tendentious.

If you were ranking these in order of social class, it would be:

Cameron
Blair
Brown
Heath
Thatcher
Wilson
Major (Major's family when prosperous gnome-makers would come ahead of Heath but the three respectable lower middle class churchgoing families would have looked down on Major for being from a rather rackety unstable background)
Callaghan
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jakeel1
What? Churchill was in the military for a ridiculous amount of time, funded the first tanks and did all sorts of stuff that was not 'without personal effort' you sound like a left wing nutjob.

Churchill wasn't in the military in the way that you think. He resigned as a Minister and 'accepted' a commission in WWI almost as an act of noblesse-oblige and whilst he did serve in the trenches, he avoided main action. To quote the excellent Wikipedia article on the topic:

"Correspondence with his wife shows that his intent in taking up active service was to rehabilitate his reputation, but this was balanced by the serious risk of being killed. During his period of command, Ploegsteert was a "quiet sector," and the battalion did not take part in any set battle"

WSC's pre-war 'military experience' was essentially a series of personal boys-own-story set piece adventures designed to write articles as a journalist, not serious military experience. He was regarded as a dangerous adventurist and borderline lunatic by many who met him during those years. The Boer War is a particular example of his upper class tomfoolery putting other people's lives at risk. He didn't 'serve' with anything like distinction.
Original post by nulli tertius
Baldwin was the first PM in trade.

Apart from the periods 1924-1929 and after September 1940, it is very difficult to see Churchill's position on anything coinciding with the establishment view.

No to naval expansion (when a Tory), Imperial Preference (Tory) the House of Lords veto (Liberal), force feeding suffragettes (Liberal) and the abdication (Tory) amongst many others.

Hmmm. I think you're confusing 'establishment' with 'settled views on foreign policy' on Churchill. He still attended all the top dinner parties (apart from those of Baldwin and Chamberlain, or at least some - he was a guest of both at times), he just had his own views. He wasn't an 'outsider', you've got that description wrong. He was an internal contrarian.

He was ahead of his time on many of those issues, but surely the force feeding one was in tune with the establishment reaction to the women campaigners?

Churchill seems to have behaved in some complicated ways over the Abdication, but in the main he was supported in his pro-King but delay-the-whole-thing views by Lloyd George, who was pretty solidly part of the establishment by then.

I think in general WSC was against Prime Ministers who weren't him and in favour of those who were. Apart from Lloyd George. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
That is tendentious.

If you were ranking these in order of social class, it would be:

Cameron
Blair
Brown
Heath
Thatcher
Wilson
Major (Major's family when prosperous gnome-makers would come ahead of Heath but the three respectable lower middle class churchgoing families would have looked down on Major for being from a rather rackety unstable background)
Callaghan

I think Thatcher was very similar in background to Heath, their fathers were both in trade and successful in a small way. Probably that's why they hated each other so much. :rolleyes:

I'm not convinced that Wilson was below them. His education was about the same, but the son of a teacher and a chemist was not really quite the same as the children of small business people. Although he was Northern, I would suggest Wilson started out a little above Thatcher and Heath.

Major's allegedly poor background is overstated, not least by him.
WSC's pre-war 'military experience' was essentially a series of personal boys-own-story set piece adventures designed to write articles as a journalist, not serious military experience. He was regarded as a dangerous adventurist and borderline lunatic by many who met him during those years. The Boer War is a particular example of his upper class tomfoolery putting other people's lives at risk. He didn't 'serve' with anything like distinction.

Churchill served for reasons of self-promotion but it's not plausible to say he never put his life at risk or that he got other people killed. He had no command position in the army before WWI, but took part in a cavalry charge and was captured by the Boers, escaping from a PoW camp and escaped back to South Africa at a time when the Boer government intended to have him executed if he were recaptured.
Original post by Observatory
Churchill served for reasons of self-promotion but it's not plausible to say he never put his life at risk or that he got other people killed. He had no command position in the army before WWI, but took part in a cavalry charge and was captured by the Boers, escaping from a PoW camp and escaped back to South Africa at a time when the Boer government intended to have him executed if he were recaptured.

For a clear, impartial rendering of this chapter in his life, can I recommend reading Roy Jenkins' biography? I think if you do, you will question the relevance and nobility of the escapade, to say the least. :rolleyes:
For a clear, impartial rendering of this chapter in his life, can I recommend reading Roy Jenkins' biography? I think if you do, you will question the relevance and nobility of the escapade, to say the least. :rolleyes:

idk what you mean by "relevance" but I can't see how one can possibly frame these actions as personally safe for Churchill.
Fullodsurprises
Churchill was part of a huge gravy train - the gravy train of aristocracy. His family were amongst the highest and (in the past) richest in the country and his road to political career was assured from birth, should he choose it, which he did. He became an MP almost without personal effort and a minister later with only moderate talent.

What's interesting about all this is not that a highly connected (albeit not particularly wealthy) man managed to get ahead of others, but that he was so successful on arrival. If university teaches people valuable skills with general application then Churchill is hard to rationalise. The most likely explanation is that university doesn't teach people valuable skills with general application.
idk what you mean by "relevance" but I can't see how one can possibly frame these actions as personally safe for Churchill.

Those weren't (the other quote referred to WWI and he was a younger man in S. Africa) but that doesn't mean they were part of a sustained 'military experience' or 'service' which was the original point I was responding to. They were examples of rich kid adventure journalism in a temporary uniform.
What's interesting about all this is not that a highly connected (albeit not particularly wealthy) man managed to get ahead of others, but that he was so successful on arrival. If university teaches people valuable skills with general application then Churchill is hard to rationalise. The most likely explanation is that university doesn't teach people valuable skills with general application.

It's more like Harrow was a university in its own right! However, I think even then an Oxbridge education was alleged to create a rounded gentleman. Perhaps some of Churchill's rougher edges and zanier ideas never got clobbered by attending the gleaming spires and if so, that might have been a good thing in WW2, when for all his nuttier schemes, he also had the native intelligence and cunning to accurately see the value of things like Ultra and a lot of similar clever breakthroughs and to support them through sheer force of personality against numerous nay-sayers.
Those weren't (the other quote referred to WWI and he was a younger man in S. Africa) but that doesn't mean they were part of a sustained 'military experience' or 'service' which was the original point I was responding to. They were examples of rich kid adventure journalism in a temporary uniform.

He had a regular commission and served in a number of active theatres. It's perfectly true that he had an ulterior motive - he wanted to become a famous journalist - and that he used his influence to get himself moved around to the most active and interesting spots. As indeed many soldiers were primarily serving for pay rather than because they deeply personally cared who ruled the East Cape. But the claim that Churchill used his influence to avoid danger is the opposite of true: he consistently placed himself in more danger because that was useful for his career.
George Osborne only has O level maths. I'm more mathematically qualified than he is to be someone who runs the economy :rolleyes:
I think that a good Prime Minister needs certain skills and traits. For example, he or she needs the ability to make tough decisions, whilst at the same time they need to be compassionate and understand the needs of the different members of the electorate. They need a certain curiosity about the world around them, the ability to filter through the advice they receive, and a healthy dose of common sense. They need strength of conviction, yet shouldn't close themselves off from differing opinions. They need to be honest, honourable, and practice personal responsibility.

It doesn't matter whether or not they learn these things at university. Most wisdom is gained through life experience.
Churchill wasn't in the military in the way that you think. He resigned as a Minister and 'accepted' a commission in WWI almost as an act of noblesse-oblige and whilst he did serve in the trenches, he avoided main action. To quote the excellent Wikipedia article on the topic:

"Correspondence with his wife shows that his intent in taking up active service was to rehabilitate his reputation, but this was balanced by the serious risk of being killed. During his period of command, Ploegsteert was a "quiet sector," and the battalion did not take part in any set battle"

i must object to your vilification of this great man. he put himself in mortal danger in France; you seem to imply that he was larking around playing games and avoiding peril.

here is what really happened:

With the 6th Royal Scots Battalion

On January 5, 1916, he took command of the 6th Royal Scots Fusiliers battalion of the Ninth Division, currently in reserve just behind the line. It had been involved in the battle of Loos in September and had suffered greatly. When Churchill took over, the battalion had been reduced from 1,000 men to less than 600, including many replacements who hadn't experienced battle. They weren't happy to hear that a fallen politician would be their new colonel.

With typical Churchillian energy, he arranged for their de-lousing and took advantage of their three weeks in reserve to enhance their training. During that time, the men appreciated his lax application of discipline, despite disapproval from his superiors. He arranged sports and concerts. On January 27, the battalion took over its 1,000 yards of front at Ploegsteert, Belgium, known as “Plug Street” to the Tommies. While no offenses were launched in this sector during Churchill's tenure, there was constant shell-fire and forays into no-man's-land. Churchill set up his headquarters in a shell-battered farm behind the trenches. The barn was sandbagged, providing refuge when shells came in.

When the battalion was in the line-- it rotated six days in the trenches and six in immediate reserve-- he and his officers would enter no-man's-land through the barbed wire and visit the forward positions in shell craters to keep an eye on the enemy, yards away. At least one time he came under direct machine gun fire. Also, the farm itself was shelled frequently and the buildings occasionally were hit. One time, a shell landed on the house and a piece of shrapnel hit a lamp's battery holder he was toying with. The shelling at the farm sometimes caused casualties. He constantly inspected the trenches, making sure they were as strong as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending