The Student Room Group

Is Durham a significantly better university than Birmingham?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Theriverboatsong
They are all so beautiful, but having visited all of them though I'd just give Durham and Bristol the edge.

Yeah I would agree. Even though I am going to Birmingham haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would personally have gone for Durham. The university is considered one of the UK's finest, and a leading alternative to Oxbridge. The course is also based in Durham, where the nice buildings and scenery are. Had it been based at Stockton, I'd have said give it a miss.

I have to say, you are brave for rejecting all those universities for Birmingham, but Birmingham is excellent in it's own right. If it doesn't work out, you could still transfer elsewhere after the first year.

The real difference is you will see a wider mix of students with differing academic abilities at Birmingham. At Durham this would not be the case, as everyone would be an Oxbridge reject.

I agree that Durham is more prestigious and beautiful than Birmingham, which is why up until now I have aimed to go there. But although I still want to go to a good university and achieve a good degree, I'd rather focus on personal growth and creative interests than academia now, which I feel Birmingham would be able to aid more. I won't be aiming for the most well-paid and high-achieving career when I graduate either. Shamefully, the only thing that pulls me towards Durham still is the fact that I would definitely be going to a university a tier above people at my school who have always performed worse than me academically, which wouldn't really be the case for Birmingham. And I definitely do not want my ego to make my decision for me!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uncommonsensing
I agree that Durham is more prestigious and beautiful than Birmingham, which is why up until now I have aimed to go there. But although I still want to go to a good university and achieve a good degree, I'd rather focus on personal growth and creative interests than academia now, which I feel Birmingham would be able to aid more. I won't be aiming for the most well-paid and high-achieving career when I graduate either. Shamefully, the only thing that pulls me towards Durham still is the fact that I would definitely be going to a university a tier above people at my school who have always performed worse than me academically, which wouldn't really be the case for Birmingham. And I definitely do not want my ego to make my decision for me!

You have to think as Durham as really being the place for Oxford and Cambridge rejects. At least those at Birmingham actually want to be there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
With the new postgraduate student loan coming up, you can do your masters at Durham!
Original post by Leanne1455
You have to think as Durham as really being the place for Oxford and Cambridge rejects. At least those at Birmingham actually want to be there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but at the same time Durham may attract a better class of student on average, ones that actually care about their studies beyond binge drinking and clubbing, as what is synonymous with the large civic universities. On that note, Birmingham might be more fun.
True, but at the same time Durham may attract a better class of student on average, ones that actually care about their studies beyond binge drinking and clubbing, as what is synonymous with the large civic universities. On that note, Birmingham might be more fun.

Yeah definitely. Durham is more formal but if you want more of a student experience alongside a great uni I would definitely say Brum. I know a few people who go to Durham and they say there isn't a lot to do there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leanne1455
Yeah definitely. Durham is more formal but if you want more of a student experience alongside a great uni I would definitely say Brum. I know a few people who go to Durham and they say there isn't a lot to do there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will see classy people at Birmingham, but because of the sheer size of the student body, they will also have quite a few characters that I'd rather not have anything to do with. But that is true of Leeds, Manchester Nottingham, Newcastle and any other large university.
Original post by uncommonsensing

Whoa, what? Both universities generally require at least AAB to get in (competitive courses at both require more than that). Both are selective universities that you can't go wrong with. I'm guessing you go to a private school if you think underachievers get AAB.

Durham probably has a slight edge over Birmingham because it's Durham - in that it happens to be a 'fashionable' institution for rich kids who were rejected from Oxbridge (though personally I met many rich kids and Oxbridge rejects at Birmingham). But in the real world it doesn't matter in the slightest, they're both excellent universities. As long as you get a good degree at either one, you will have very good prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending