Why do people hate relgious studies

Watch
Maria1812
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
When I learn about lets say abortion,animal rights i am thrilled very happy sitting and all my class hates religious studies so much I do not understand why it is not too hard and it is interesting to see how different religions look at things and different ideologies. I love religious studies to be honest it is interesting being asked difficult questions that you never thought about it gives you the oppourtunity to open your mind and think about many aspects in life. Many people think it is boring but I think Re is the most exciting subject except history.
2 much fasad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because they think its fake and that it is a waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maria1812
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2 much fasad)
Because they think its fake and that it is a waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its not a waste of time it helps us understand many different religions which is very important if you live in a country with many cultures such as the uk because it is important to understand different religions if you live in a very diverse country.
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's an eye opener, even though I don't believe in most of the stuff in it- it's interesting to see what derives other people's source of identity ^_^
Browmer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a vital subject. It's the only way to reach some children with the good news of Jesus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maria1812
Rep:
?
(Original post by Browmer)
It's a vital subject. It's the only way to reach some children with the good news of Jesus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I
f you go to Catholic schools you will learn many interesting things such as the story of Abraham and Moses in mixed schools you do not learn things like that as there are also other religions but I went to a catholic school it was lovely to hear many religious stories and discuss them together in mixed schools you learn about what many religions think about 1 subject which is inteesting also.
crozibear96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Different strokes for different folks.
viddy9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As an atheist, I thoroughly enjoyed taking Religious Studies for GCSE. It doesn't teach religions as fact at all, but just teaches what religious people believe. Most of the time, the class I was in just laughed at whichever religion we were studying - most were rational enough to realise that religion is nonsense.

In addition, the longer assessed questions allowed you to put your own point of view in and secular points of view. A lot of it was actually general knowledge.
SmallDuck
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The RS course I did had a lot of political spin on it. It basically went over all of the positive aspects of religion in the world whilst massively playing down religiously inspired atrocities.

Instead of allowing us to form our own opinions, you would only score well in the exam if you wrote about how wonderful religion was.
panda14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A lot of my GCSE RS (full course) was just explaining why certain religions have the beliefs they do, and how it affects followers lives. It was a very interesting subject, although I'm not going to lie it wasn't difficult to get an A* once I knew what the examiners wanted to see!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Harvey Dent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because it's interesting, but functionally useless.
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You only need know one religion Christianity.
ClockEnderAFC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maria1812)
Its not a waste of time it helps us understand many different religions which is very important if you live in a country with many cultures such as the uk because it is important to understand different religions if you live in a very diverse country.
You ever heard of a comma?
toiletroll
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the ethics side of it is the only good part of it at least at a level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (227)
60.7%
No (78)
20.86%
Not sure (69)
18.45%

Watched Threads