The Student Room Group

Starting salary in teaching for experienced but newly qualified teachers

So next year I'm doing my PGCe in primary. I have worked as a teacher abroad for 4 years (both reputable places, 1 international school and another private school). I know my NQT year will be around the 22-27k but after that is it easy to negotiate a higher salary for pre-qualified experience?
Original post by adam_don
So next year I'm doing my PGCe in primary. I have worked as a teacher abroad for 4 years (both reputable places, 1 international school and another private school). I know my NQT year will be around the 22-27k but after that is it easy to negotiate a higher salary for pre-qualified experience?

Unfortunately there is no shortage of Primary teachers. You are likely to start on M1 and move through the main pay scale at a normal rate subject to satisfactory performance. If you hope to start on a higher point this needs to be negotiated at outset.
You may be able to negociate a higher starting salary in view of your experience, but it is dependent on your school and how much they want you. Without a proven track record in this country, I don't know how likely that is...

Once you have a permanent post, it depends how your school has implemented performance related pay - I don't know if it works the same way in all schools.

In my school, you start on M1, then go up automatically M2 and M3 subject to passing annual appraisals. But you can apply to "jump" to higher point on the pay scale if you feel you meet the criteria for it and can provide evidence. My school has a document detailing the criteria/types of evidence you might give for different pay brackets.

I'm currently on M2 but am applying for M4 now. I felt this was a bit cheeky but my line manager reassured me that I'm meeting the criteria for M4 so should go for that rather than M3.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
Unfortunately there is no shortage of Primary teachers. You are likely to start on M1 and move through the main pay scale at a normal rate subject to satisfactory performance. If you hope to start on a higher point this needs to be negotiated at outset.

I felt that would be the case. Thanks for letting me know
Reply 4
Original post by myrtille
You may be able to negociate a higher starting salary in view of your experience, but it is dependent on your school and how much they want you. Without a proven track record in this country, I don't know how likely that is...

Once you have a permanent post, it depends how your school has implemented performance related pay - I don't know if it works the same way in all schools.

In my school, you start on M1, then go up automatically M2 and M3 subject to passing annual appraisals. But you can apply to "jump" to higher point on the pay scale if you feel you meet the criteria for it and can provide evidence. My school has a document detailing the criteria/types of evidence you might give for different pay brackets.

I'm currently on M2 but am applying for M4 now. I felt this was a bit cheeky but my line manager reassured me that I'm meeting the criteria for M4 so should go for that rather than M3.

So possible but unlikely, I hate this idea of performance related pay but chances are it's here to stay (judging by how the government has been over the last 15 years on performance measures)
We have someone kind of in your position on our course. He's been teaching abroad but has to qualify here in order to teach here. He was told its likely he'd be able to negotiate M2 for his NQT year but that after that its the same route of progression as those that have less experience.

That is for secondary though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending