PC Update Watch

Uncle_fish
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm not really sure what I want for christmas not interested in the Wii and only got this computer June this year. But I'm after some updates whats a good program so I can post my specs on here and people can reccomend some things I downloaded Everest but its a bit to much detail.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sisoft Sandra.

Although, most of us here can understand the 80 page essay Everest will output.
Uncle_fish
Rep:
?
Here ya go sorry for it being huge
Attached files
kam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How much are you realistically looking to have spent on new PC components?

How much RAM have you got? Doesn't say in the report.

I personally would get a better graphics card/more HDD space.
Jaffaholic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Dont know how much RAM you have, but id make sure i have 1 gig. Then ill get myself a decent gfx card. Something like an x800gto or 6800gs.

You dont really want to spend too much money on a cheap PC since you arent really adding the performance you could with a different set up i.e. the cost isnt worth the increase in performance, itd be like spending a fortune to kit up a crap car.

So £30-40 for a 512mb stick of RAM and £50-60 for a gfx card.
Uncle_fish
Rep:
?
I have 1024MB of ram well its like in the 900's and I have an external HDD with about 222Gb space still to use up. I was sure my graphics card was 256MB or 512 :s not 64
Jaffaholic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Uncle_fish)
I have 1024MB of ram well its like in the 900's and I have an external HDD with about 222Gb space still to use up. I was sure my graphics card was 256MB or 512 :s not 64
Well, what is happening is that your integrated graphics is simply reserving normal system RAM for itself reducing it from 1024MB.

Integrated graphics are usually very poor but then again, if you dont actually need a decent graphics card there is no need to get one.

The question is, what do you want the PC for? If for gaming, a decent card will allow you to play most old games. The current integrated graphics wont suffice. It will also mena, your system RAM isnt reduced due to the integrated graphics.

Finally, when buying a graphics card, rememeber that unless you are buying a very expensive graphics card, whther its 256MB or 512MB means very little.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise