The Student Room Group

Be the bigger man and make things right?

Right now my family is going through somewhat a very rough patch, its like the whole family has been separated due to one 'act'.

The story:
Going back around 7-8 months ago my father decided he was not happy in a relationship and essentially had an affair with someone behind his long-term girlfriend's back (of around 3 years). The woman he cheated with was his teenage and childhood lover whom they got talking again. After the relationship broke down, my father and his 'mistress' decided to form a relationship, and several months down the line they were married and are living happily together.

Although it seems to be all happy families that way, what occurred later was completely unexpected. My younger brother from my father's previous marriage decided that he did not approve of the marriage and decided to cut my father off connection wise and decided to become more involved with his ex-girlfriend. The worst part is that he is only 11 years old.

It's like his ex-girlfriend has manipulated him to 'join' her and get one back on my father by using his son. She uses money to bribe him. He wants absolutely nothing to do with my father at all.

I live with my father presently, and have witnessed first hand what the effects have been. He was before an active, sociable sort of person that generally got on well with most people. But it's like he's a different person for all the wrong reasons at the moment. Depression has kicked in big time. Some people may say 'karma is a bitch and people get what's coming to them' or 'what goes around comes around', but this is unacceptable. Without this 'father and son' connection my father has even contemplated suicide - ever wondered how hard it would be to live your life knowing that your own father killed himself due to depression due to one person?

I feel like I can do more. I mean I'm 18, I try to be supportive on his behalf but I still feel as if it is not enough. I want to be the one that makes it all right and makes them have some sort of a connection with his own children before I go to University in September and move miles and miles away.

So if you read all of that I thank you... but if any advice could be given, then anything would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending