Will I be able to do engineering at university and become a civil engineer?

Watch
FinlayNorris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello guys. I want to do engineering at university and become a civil engineer, but I am not sure if I will be able to. The main reasons I want to become an engineer (preferably civil engineer) is because it pays well, and I am very interested in engineering of all different types. I have very expensive hobbies and tastes, and if I were to work in Tesco's or something I would not be able to fund even one of them.

I have always wanted a job in civil (or any other really, but mostly civil) engineering, I am very interested by large structures, like Bridges etc. but also things more related to other engineering fields.

My worry is that I will not be able to become a civil engineer, or any kind of engineer, and I will not earn much. This would completely prevent me from living the kind of life I want to and I would be very miserable. I cannot see myself working in a shop and earning nothing at all.

I took engineering for GCSE, and I am pretty good at it, in one of the mocks I did recently, we were given a 1hour 35min test to do in 55 minuets, the teacher told us we would likely not do very well, as we obviously would not finish it, but I got a B, very few others did. I am good at the coursework parts of engineering too, so I am confident I will pass engineering, most likely with a B.

The other subjects that seem to be very important to A level and university engineering however, I am not so great at. I passed maths, with a C, as I sat the foundation papers, I got 81 and 82%. But a B is desirable. Same case for physics, I have not finished all the components of GCSE physics yet, but I am a C grade student and will most likely get a C.

I believe I am able to take A level engineering at my school without a B in both maths and physics, but they are desirable. But for engineering courses at university an A level physics and maths seems to be needed. Many people seem to believe that if you have just one of them, or maths and further maths and no physics etc, you can still do it at university. I however, will have no A level physics or A level maths of any kind, as I do not feel good enough at them to choose them for A level, being a c student for them. I want to choose things like history, English literature and RE, as they are well regarded by Russel group universities and I am very good at RE and English in particular, so I would be able to get to university, but I don't know if doing engineering at uni would be a possibility for me.

If any of you are/were in my situation or one like it, or just think you can help, please tell me. It is very confusing, advice from somebody who has done engineering without physics or maths a level at uni, but passed the GCSE ones, and perhaps did take A level engineering, is much appreciated. Thank you for any advice
Nitrogen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can't do civil engineering at uni without maths and physics.
nemoshish
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well from my experience you need Alevel Maths and Physic to do Civil Engineering although I didn't do Alevel physics, but Russell group university require both them.

If you think Alevel is not for you can try apprentice. Some of Civil Engineering companies now do apprentices for those people who left school or can't do Alevels.

You want to know key secret to get into engineering industry is work experience. So, you need study as well as working same time to build up you CV.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads