The Student Room Group

Sociology

I'm thinking of doing a level sociology, but I'm worried as people have said that its a "soft subject" and doesn't have much credibility. However I want to have a career in care or education.....

Would sociology be a good or bad choice? :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by x-Emily-x
I'm thinking of doing a level sociology, but I'm worried as people have said that its a "soft subject" and doesn't have much credibility. However I want to have a career in care or education.....

This is a-level, not a degree.
It all depends on what you want to do if you go to university.

Many "sciency" degree courses prefer you to have things like maths, chemistry, biology, etc.
However looking at what you're wanting to go in to, I don't see it as an issue.

Sociology may be a "soft subject" at a-level, but if you're interested in it, why not take it and get a very good grade?
Sociology is not a soft subject. There is so much to learn an memorize for it that it gets confusing. If you're interested in it, take it because you'll enjoy it far more than taking a subject you aren't too interested in. If you know what Uni course you want to take have a look on the Uni's website for the course and it should tell you what entry requirements you need. For my uni course I want to do English Language and TEFL, so I need ABB to get into the uni I want but I HAVE to have taken English Language as an A level subject. Best thing to do is look on the uni websites. xx
Reply 3
Original post by Lúcio
This is a-level, not a degree.
It all depends on what you want to do if you go to university.

Many "sciency" degree courses prefer you to have things like maths, chemistry, biology, etc.
However looking at what you're wanting to go in to, I don't see it as an issue.

Sociology may be a "soft subject" at a-level, but if you're interested in it, why not take it and get a very good grade?

Reply 4
Original post by little-red-nin
Sociology is not a soft subject. There is so much to learn an memorize for it that it gets confusing. If you're interested in it, take it because you'll enjoy it far more than taking a subject you aren't too interested in. If you know what Uni course you want to take have a look on the Uni's website for the course and it should tell you what entry requirements you need. For my uni course I want to do English Language and TEFL, so I need ABB to get into the uni I want but I HAVE to have taken English Language as an A level subject. Best thing to do is look on the uni websites. xx

Original post by x-Emily-x

Sociology is a decent subject to take, and seeing as you want to go into education or care, it will be fine to take.
I did sociology at a-level and loved it.

Quick Reply

Latest