NHS funding: applying online (now closed) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Student Money Week 2017
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Darren is on hand to answer questions from students thinking about studying NHS funded courses.

Advisor for this Q&A

Darren Hanson, Operational Training and Service Improvement Co-ordinator

Darren has been a member of the NHS Student Bursaries Team since 2002. He’s responsible for producing training material and training staff..
johninboro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm a mature student hoping to get in to uni this September, I currently work full time in order to pay my way.

I live alone
No children
Last year I took home 19k
No family
No dependants
Have to pay £220 per week before food but this includes council tax of £16 per week.

What I need to know is roughly how much funding would I get?

I would be studying to become a nurse, full time at Teesside uni, living in my flat test I currently rent.

Thanks in advance
Wheezy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there, I was just wondering what people can tell me about NHS bursaries? I am applying to do nursing and have been told I might be eligible for some NHS bursaries. I have looked on the NHS bursaries website but it seems a bit unclear. Any advice?
Thank you!
johninboro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, what is the maximum amount of bursary and student finance someone can get studying a nursing course please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
johninboro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am a mature student who is going to study nursing, my weekly expenses (rent and everything) is£220

I live alone with no dependants, I am 42
I will continue to live in my flat when I start uni

I just need a rough estimate of how much I will get please.

I currently work full time, last year I took home roughly£20k

Posted from TSR Mobile
shotsboy123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi guys!

I'm looking at applying for the Mental Health studies course at Plymouth University in 2016, I've found that the applicants are able to have the course funded by the NHS, and also have bursary funds, I've done the calculator and because my parents have a low income, I would have the full course paid for me, as well as a yearly loan (I think I'm right in saying this?) would I also be able to apply for the student finance from plymouth university too? Has anybody else applied for this or currently on a course funded by the NHS?

Many thanks!

Christopher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Darren Hanson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by johninboro)
Hi, I'm a mature student hoping to get in to uni this September, I currently work full time in order to pay my way.

I live alone
No children
Last year I took home 19k
No family
No dependants
Have to pay £220 per week before food but this includes council tax of £16 per week.

What I need to know is roughly how much funding would I get?

I would be studying to become a nurse, full time at Teesside uni, living in my flat test I currently rent.

Thanks in advance
You can use our bursary
calculators
to find out if you are eligible to apply, what
your student status will be (independent/dependent) and provide you an estimate
of what you could receive in a basic award . The calculators should only be used as a guide. We cannot confirm
your eligibility or award entitlement until we have received and assessed your
online application through the Bursary Online Support System (BOSS) and all of
your supporting evidence, if requested.
Darren Hanson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
NHS Student Bursaries have a number of booklets
available on our website to assist you. To view these please visit
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/4032.aspx
Darren Hanson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, what is the maximum amount of bursary and student finance someone can get studying a nursing course please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please see the reply to your previous post where I have given you a link to our calculators.
Darren Hanson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am a mature student who is going to study nursing, my weekly expenses (rent and everything) is£220

I live alone with no dependants, I am 42
I will continue to live in my flat when I start uni

I just need a rough estimate of how much I will get please.

I currently work full time, last year I took home roughly£20k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please see the reply to your previous post where I have given you a link to our calculators.
Darren Hanson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by shotsboy123)
Hi guys!

I'm looking at applying for the Mental Health studies course at Plymouth University in 2016, I've found that the applicants are able to have the course funded by the NHS, and also have bursary funds, I've done the calculator and because my parents have a low income, I would have the full course paid for me, as well as a yearly loan (I think I'm right in saying this?) would I also be able to apply for the student finance from plymouth university too? Has anybody else applied for this or currently on a course funded by the NHS?

Many thanks!

Christopher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Christopher
Thanks for using our calculators and I hope you found them helpful. You are right that SFE offer a student loan however this is at a reduced rate for NHS funded students. I would recommend you ask them about this during their webchat 'Are you eligible for student finance?' today at 5.30-6.30pm. As far as funding from Plymouth uni goes each uni will have their own student finance advisor so perhaps have a chat to them.
Thanks
Darren
Darren Hanson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you have any questions following this session you can always use our Ask Us service 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

We have a Facebook page where you can find out up to date information about NHS Student Bursaries and the service we provide. Like our page to stay right up to date.

We’ve launched a Twitter page in order to make links on social media with universities, colleges and students.
Our tweets will contain useful information about NHS and Social Work Bursaries.
Start following us today. Go to www.twitter.com and search for our page @NHSBSA_Students
Darren Hanson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you are applying for your NHS Bursary for the first time please visit our website http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/4002.aspx to find out when to make your application.

Please visit our website http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/816.aspx where you can find useful information for all existing and prospective NHS students, including the different NHS Bursary Scheme rates and downloadable versions of all our student guidance booklets.
Darren Hanson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by skd1996)
Hi,

I underwent one year of university before I realised the course was wrong for me and didn't continue with it.

I am now applying for diagnostic radiology, will I still be able to have Nhs funding even though I've had 1 year of government funding on a non-healthcare related course?
Hi
Yes you will be able to apply for an NHS Bursary as long as you are on an NHS funded pre-registration course. Your government funding would not be taken into account. Read more about our funding here: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/4032.aspx
Thanks
Darren
skd1996
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
Hi

Thanks that's great news then! I'll look at that now.

Thanks again!

(Original post by Darren Hanson)
Hi
Yes you will be able to apply for an NHS Bursary as long as you are on an NHS funded pre-registration course. Your government funding would not be taken into account. Read more about our funding here: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/4032.aspx
Thanks
Darren
Ray SFE
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A special thank you to Darren for taking questions and likewise to you all for posting them.

For more information on student finance visit our official SFE Finance Zone here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...nance#navmoney
Sarah SFE
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Join us tomorrow from 10-11am to find out if you're eligible for NHS funding.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads