How is £9000 per year worked out?

Watch
Davidswift9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Im curious about how the 9k a year is worked out because I ask for a itemised receipt when I paid my tuition fee and was told they dont do it. This is my way of thinking

• In university for approximately 6-7 months.
  • Approxiametly 20 contact hours a week. (Lectures, tutorials, Labs)

This works out at each student paying £17.31 per hour, which is 29p per minute, by taking the middle ground of 6.5 study months per year.

There are 36 students on my course, 36 x 9k is £324,000 they are collecting off my class per year... We discussd this in class and have no idea what we are paying for. The lecturer told us he is on £42,000 per year which is a highly paid job paying the top end of tax. We have to buy all the other things that go along with studying like text books, which are pricey.

I sit in my lectures and lecturers read powerpoints to the class, realistically I could do that at home and not go into class. If I got stuck I could use youtube for help. How does this equate to £346.2 per week. Theres a few that never turn up to class and just collect the notes from blackboard, see whats going to be on exams and then study with youtube tutorials and online content.

As a side note
The minimum wage is £6.50 for over 21s and £5.13 for 18-20. £11700 per year on min wage for a full time job at 37.5hours per week.

£17.31 per hour works out to be around the value of £31,153 per year for someone working a full time job at 37.5hours per week. Which is a considerable amount, how many parents are on that much? Not vast sums.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Davidswift9)
Im curious about how the 9k a year is worked out because I ask for a itemised receipt when I paid my tuition fee and was told they dont do it. This is my way of thinking.
Ignore all of that.

You pay £27k for a degree entitling you to a piece of paper and the right to put it on your CV. A huge majority of people will never use any degree specific knowledge in their future working life.

How you reach the point of receiving the degree is pretty irrelevant as universities all have different amounts of teaching hours and content.
blossomx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's the maximum they can charge so the greedy universities ask for that much. It's not worth that at all. Take me back to a-level where I was in 20 hours a week, small classes of 10-20 of us and one to one help if I needed it all for free. Going from £0 to £9000 a year is quite a jump and it hasn't been worth it. The only good thing out of my tuition fees is access to the library.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)
so the greedy universities ask for that much.
The greedy universities have always charged that (or more).. the only difference now is that you pay a higher percentage of it instead of the tax payer.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dude, we pay for the med and engineering students.
cambio wechsel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you're calculating-in too little here. The cost of providing the lectures cannot be understood as only the lecturer's salary; those lectures are given in a building, that is furnished and heated and lit and cleaned and is managed by an estates department. You submit work that is marked and perhaps double-marked if done in an exam that is invigilated and where you answer questions on a paper that has been bulk-printed and which was written to measure your understanding of a curriculum that has been planned and validated and overseen by the registrars. You perhaps revise for these exams in the library or the computer rooms because anxious to get on the graduate scheme recommended to you by the careers office and hopefully not so worried that you end up in the counselling service.

Still, if you're studying for a degree in the arts or social sciences and are not at Oxbridge then the likelihood is that the unit cost for providing the degree isn't £9000 per year. For proof of this we can see that masters degrees in these subjects go for about £6000, and that for a 12 month year.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are the contact hours, the printing of handouts or other course material, the availability of all of the course books in the library, access to computer systems, constant heating and upkeep of building, the time it takes for two separate tutors to mark your assignments, the hours of contact time you get (or COULD get) with your personal tutor outside of lectures. For example during my dissertation year I had about 10 hours with my personal tutor. Any extra lectures that you get on top of your course, including careers or life lectures. Paying guest speakers to appear, some of whom are very prominent in their field. Upkeep of the grounds including the payment of groundskeepers, cleaners etc. The provision of any free transport (our uni had a free shuttle bus that went between our three campuses which was free all day every day) which could easily add up to £6 worth if you travel there and back each day - and more if you have lectures in different places or want to go back to your room between them. There are usually sports clubs or gyms that are either subsidised or even free, these have to be paid for somehow.

Also, most universities take part in a lot of research, which requires money to go ahead. Ultimately, you choose to go to a university with the knowledge of how much it costs to go there. You can get a degree at the end of it, and if you make the most of your experience you can get a lot from your tuition fee. I have a psychology degree and the tutors were always more than willing to let us get involved with their research, including plenty of lab time (which again is expensive) so you really can make it worth it. Make the most of the people you have available to you as well. You could use their expertise to help grow your own knowledge.
Rugar Rell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I recon you should be able to pay £3000 for the assignments and thats it then it will be up to you to use internet resources to learn and complete the work... you can learn ANYTHING online
Trip506
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Idk this question is a hard one. I studied 1 year at a British uni and dropped out. I did learn a lot, but I was very dissapointed at what we were getting for what we paid for. Most of the learning we did ourselves really. I personally don't think it's worth it, so I went abroad to study where it is free and better IMO. But then again I know people from middle and good ranked unis who are doing well. Getting good jobs with their degree. So I guess I would say it can be worth it if you make it worth it. Although I think people who pay the fees upfront should invest that money somewhere else. Like travelling for example.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rugar Rell)
I recon you should be able to pay £3000 for the assignments and thats it then it will be up to you to use internet resources to learn and complete the work... you can learn ANYTHING online
Apart from how to punctuate, apparently.
Rugar Rell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Klix88)

Apart from how to punctuate, apparently.
dis is duh internet i give 0 ****s
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My current university publishes an annual report, both on paper and online. I can call up a breakdown of uni expenditure for the last complete tax year with a few seconds of Googling.

Go on, improve your research skills.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Davidswift9)
The lecturer told us he is on £42,000 per year which is a highly paid job paying the top end of tax.
A small point but £42k per year is actually (just) inside the Basic Rate for tax, assuming he has no other income and gets standard tax allowance. A higher rate (40%) starts at £42,386 for the current tax year. The highest rate is 45% and starts at £150k.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What about practical workshops e.g. for engineering? They need equipment and maintenance.

Design/engineering degrees need access to expensive software like SolidWorks, CATIA ... licences cost money.

Even in a maths degree I used computers for statistics workshops, wave tanks for fluid dynamics and other practical equipment for mecahnics modelling.

£9000 doesn't cover the whole cost ...
Gnomes&Knights
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
£9000 per year isn't a problem as long as you have a degree from universities that are worth it. I wouldn't pay £9000 per year for something like London Met or UEL. Better to not go university if I had to.
blossomx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
The greedy universities have always charged that (or more).. the only difference now is that you pay a higher percentage of it instead of the tax payer.
All I'm aware of is that it used to be capped at £3,375 for students and now it's up to £9,000, universities are choosing to charge us the maximum amount that they can.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)
All I'm aware of is that it used to be capped at £3,375 for students and now it's up to £9,000, universities are choosing to charge us the maximum amount that they can.
It used to be capped much lower than that.

Why shouldn't universities pass the maximum charge onto you? The other alternative is that the tax payer must foot a higher percentage of the bill.

Just because charges were capped at a lower amount doesn't mean that the courses were cheaper.. just that the tax payer had to fund a larger percentage of the cost.
kieran101090
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Raymat)
£9000 per year isn't a problem as long as you have a degree from universities that are worth it. I wouldn't pay £9000 per year for something like London Met or UEL. Better to not go university if I had to.
Absolutely right, I even say only oxbridge r worth 9 grand , rest should be rated by public and government then only b charged

Posted from TSR Mobile
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The 9k a year is approximately equal to the 75% cut in higher education funding implemented by the Coalition. The Tories, making the little people pay since 1681
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LeaX)
That's because when it was capped at £3,375, the government made up the extra per student with grants and subsidies. They've now stopped doing that. Students bear the entire cost. The uni charges the maximum, but that still isn't as much as they used to get when it was capped fee + government money. Most unis don't choose to do that - they *have* to do that in order to stay afloat.

When I went to uni for the first time in the early 80s, tuition was completely covered by government funding, and student finance came in the form of a non-repayable grant. Too many people go to uni now. We can't turn the clock back to any of the previous funding systems without barring uni to some students who would be capable of getting a degree. Whilst that might be a pragmatic approach, it's scarcely a vote-winner - which is ultimately all any political party cares about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (60)
29.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.28%
No I am happy with my choice (115)
55.83%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.77%

Watched Threads