The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Best catered accommodation on University Park?

Hi,

I've firmed my unconditional to study at Nottingham and I'm so excited! The accommodation application process starts on 2nd March and I want to sort it as soon as I can! I know that I want to go catered - unless you really can't bear the thought of halls food, it seems like by far the best thing to do to get in the mix since the catered halls are on University Park!

Does anyone know which ones to go for? I've heard great things about Hugh Stewart and Cripps and they're in a great position near the Trent Building where I'll study English!

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/accommodationoptions/cateredhalls/universitypark.aspx
^Here is the price options for catered at University Park! Does anyone know which option would give me a good chance of being in good halls? Eg. If I went for Single Study/Single Study Plus, would they be the most similar description to a few specific halls?

Thanks!
Original post by FredMcLean96
Hi,

I've firmed my unconditional to study at Nottingham and I'm so excited! The accommodation application process starts on 2nd March and I want to sort it as soon as I can! I know that I want to go catered - unless you really can't bear the thought of halls food, it seems like by far the best thing to do to get in the mix since the catered halls are on University Park!

Does anyone know which ones to go for? I've heard great things about Hugh Stewart and Cripps and they're in a great position near the Trent Building where I'll study English!

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/accommodationoptions/cateredhalls/universitypark.aspx
^Here is the price options for catered at University Park! Does anyone know which option would give me a good chance of being in good halls? Eg. If I went for Single Study/Single Study Plus, would they be the most similar description to a few specific halls?

Thanks!

Unless it's changed in the last couple of years you don't really get a choice of hall. That being said I believe Ancaster has a lot of Ensuites and Ensuites are a total waste of money. Not that Ancaster is even nice. It's really the luck of the draw. You could choose study plus and get FloBo which has some huge study pluses or you could get Ancaster which has some reasonable sized ones and some quite small ones which are frankly a con. As far as I'm concerned the only room types worth getting are single studies or single study pluses. That said they're not cheap, but that's kinda what you get with university accommodation, especially catered. Food isn't great. Starts to get boring. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about location. It's not as important as you'd think. Your classes will be all over the place anyway, plus if you get a really far away hall and you're too lazy to walk then you can get a hopper bus. There's all kinds of stereotypes about halls. HuStu and Cripps are posher ones. You can try getting a new hall if you're not satisfied but I wouldn't hold your breath. It's worth considering Broadgate Park if cooking for yourself isn't a big deal. You soon get used to it. It gives you more flexibility which can be useful if you join a sport club that overlaps with a mealtime.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by alexs2602
Unless it's changed in the last couple of years you don't really get a choice of hall. That being said I believe Ancaster has a lot of Ensuites and Ensuites are a total waste of money. Not that Ancaster is even nice. It's really the luck of the draw. You could choose study plus and get FloBo which has some huge study pluses or you could get Ancaster which has some reasonable sized ones and some quite small ones which are frankly a con. As far as I'm concerned the only room types worth getting are single studies or single study pluses. That said they're not cheap, but that's kinda what you get with university accommodation, especially catered. Food isn't great. Starts to get boring. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about location. It's not as important as you'd think. Your classes will be all over the place anyway, plus if you get a really far away hall and you're too lazy to walk then you can get a hopper bus. There's all kinds of stereotypes about halls. HuStu and Cripps are posher ones. You can try getting a new hall if you're not satisfied but I wouldn't hold your breath. It's worth considering Broadgate Park if cooking for yourself isn't a big deal. You soon get used to it. It gives you more flexibility which can be useful if you join a sport club that overlaps with a mealtime.

Thank you for the detailed answer! Most of the time people just say 'wherever you go you'll love it' which is probably true but I had been wondering!

I am sure I'll go catered, I have Year 2 & 3 to make the effort of cooking for myself! Thanks for reassuring me that ensuite is pointless - I can cope with sharing so I'll go for Single Study/Single Study Plus:smile:
Original post by FredMcLean96
Thank you for the detailed answer! Most of the time people just say 'wherever you go you'll love it' which is probably true but I had been wondering!

I am sure I'll go catered, I have Year 2 & 3 to make the effort of cooking for myself! Thanks for reassuring me that ensuite is pointless - I can cope with sharing so I'll go for Single Study/Single Study Plus:smile:

I don't know what you're used to but I was used to a single bed so the single study plus was actually quite a nice change for the bed. It's only £150 more so probably worth going for the single study plus.
Just as an FYI, English tends to take place in rooms throughout the campus not in Trent. Trent is just where the School Reception and Offices are based with maybe a couple of seminars in there.

In my opinion I loved my en suite but that's a totally personal choice. The stereotypes aren't really a thing anymore that was only the case when students could choose specific halls.
Original post by alexs2602

Why are Ensuites pointless?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IHTWFR
Why are Ensuites pointless?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically? There's literally no need for your own bathroom and they're expensive. You might wait a bit when you're sharing possibly but most people share at home anyway, plus they get cleaned frequently enough. I just don't see the point of one, I knew plenty of people with ensuites and I still don't get why it was worth it. Cited reasons are cleanliness and convenience afaik. Just not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest