This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'm quite a fan of their music. The blend of rock, rap and electronica is very appealing to me, also without any cussing in their songs. Excellent music in the genre of rock (or nu-metal to be specific), in my opinion.

Their first album was the best, Hybrid Theory - every track on that album had the potential to become hit singles. I liked every single song on that CD, without ever having to press the skip button once (no other album in my collection has ever accomplished this feat apart from this one). In The End, Papercut and Crawling were simply amazing.

However, I'm slightly disappointed that their second album (discounting the remix album, Reanimation) released in March, Meteora, which was rather short and only liked some of the songs, a selected few - Somewhere I Belong, Lying From You and Numb.

Overall, I think they're a talented quintet, producing a smooth, hybrid blend of music.

What do you guys think?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Im not a big fan of linkin park-sorry- i dont really like any of the nu rock music either. They all seem to be too commercial and dont really have the talent that ppl think they have and their songs dont have much of a meaning. But, im sure that if they stay around for another 10 years or so they will become a much better band.
Sorry for dissing linkin park, but i cant stand band who pretend they have any talent. Listen to bands like the Chili Peppers, tool, rage against the machine/audioslave, pearl jam, pantera, disturbed, APC or nirvana.
Im sure that if u do u'll change ure mind about the nu metal stuff.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no im not a fan............... but faint is excellent!
Unregistere
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
their music has no sophistication like jazz or classical . its repetitive. overly distorted making it sound more harder to play than it is. i prefer listening to prog rock bands like Dream theater whos music is absolutely impossible to play. me and my mates tried to play some but i cant. but my fren can.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i like linkin park, but i agree that their first album is better. my mum really likes the song Faint- i was watching MTV and she came in + was like 'this is good- who is it?'....she worries me sometimes...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i like linkin park, but i agree that their first album is better. my mum really likes the song Faint- i was watching MTV and she came in + was like 'this is good- who is it?'....she worries me sometimes...
Linkin Park are an interesting band.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
They are a metal boy band.

If you want real metal, which is at the same time accessible, try;

System of a Down
Marilyn Manson
Metallica (the Gods of metal)
the Deftones
Rammstein
Tool
Rage Against the Machine
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
They are a metal boy band.

If you want real metal, which is at the same time accessible, try;

System of a Down
Marilyn Manson
Metallica (the Gods of metal)
the Deftones
Rammstein
Tool
Rage Against the Machine
Although i personally don't like their music, I feel I should defend them. They are in no way manufactured, they met at school and have been together for years before they made it big. Just because their music actually has some sort of tune and melody doesn't mean they are a boy band. Also usually when diss linkin park for not being 'real' its because they are too 'mainstream' and 'commercial' but the so called 'real' stuff you suggested is just as mainstream just not as much so, and most of it is not as good except rage.
bloodhound
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hey come on everyone knows that the real music is played by DREAMTHEATER . these other nads cant compete with the standard of music from these guys. they are awsome. those to havent heard them should hear them out. as for linkin park they are alrite. but as everyone they rely on effects not pure talent
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
LOL!!! My mum likes linkin park as well!!! I'm not a particular fan of theirs but my bro is, and he's highly embarrased by the fact that my mum likes some of his music!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
Although i personally don't like their music, I feel I should defend them. They are in no way manufactured, they met at school and have been together for years before they made it big. Just because their music actually has some sort of tune and melody doesn't mean they are a boy band. Also usually when diss linkin park for not being 'real' its because they are too 'mainstream' and 'commercial' but the so called 'real' stuff you suggested is just as mainstream just not as much so, and most of it is not as good except rage.
I just hate the angsty teen feel to their music.

Not much to do with being mainstream. As you said (and I also) the bands I mentioned ARE mainstream.

I also think a "reanimation" album is a cheap attempt at sales.

What it boils down to though, is that they aren't good.
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
...What it boils down to though, is that they aren't good.
What and the bands you mentioned are!?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
What and the bands you mentioned are!?
At least they are original.

Three more points;
I also think that much of Linkin Park's music sounds the same.
I hate the way Chester sings.
Their new album is crap.
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
from what my mates said who were once linkin park fans, they have became total sellouts.

Anyway, I agree with the post above that it has no sophistication to music such as jazz and classical which is really hard to play.

Ad
bloodhound
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i am a classical guitarist and its true that the music of l park doesnt have any sophistication.its al disstortion and overdrive. anyay
Vin
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hey, I like Linkin Park too. I enjoy rock music and sometimes rap, where Linkin Park's amalgamation of both genres combined with a little techno is a good harmony, to my ears. Their new album, I agree to an extent, that it was disappointing, however not the music itself, but that it had differed too much in their original style from their debut album.

Another thing, I dislike rock with swearing. Linkin Park happens to create nu-metal music without the need of cussing (what occurs at their live concerts is another story). It is sort of like a splinter to my ear whenever I hear angst in the form of obscenities and many of the artists in the above list, mentioned by "Unregistered", produce songs which contains a lot of it, and which I find unpleasant and can be offensive to other people.

So in short, Linkin Park is one of the bands in my favourite's list, in the genre of rock/nu-metal.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
How can anyone like that pathetic pile of s***. THey probably taught themselves how to play guitars overnight. Shudder at their s***iness

edders: keep off the expletives
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*Thread returns from the dead*
*Amy*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dislike Linkin Park. To me, it's repetitive. I'm not into their style anyway, so *shrugs*.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Compared to the other metal that is out their, Linkin Park are inferior. They are also uninspiring/unconvincing and their music is bland and uninventive. They lead the way in a dying genre - Nu-metal.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (291)
34.2%
No (560)
65.8%

Watched Threads