Turn on thread page Beta

Who likes Linkin Park? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minkailin)
    linkin park is ok i think.
    i agree that simple music can be very good sometimes, for example Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger
    and pop isnt always bad
    i'm surprised/shocked there're no black/death metal fans on this forum!?
    They aren't that bad, but they really aren't that good either are they?

ReputationRep:
    linkin park is ok i think.
    i agree that simple music can be very good sometimes, for example Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger
    and pop isnt always bad
    i'm surprised/shocked there're no black/death metal fans on this forum!?
    I liked Marilyn Manson's Mobscene if that helps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    They aren't that bad, but they really aren't that good either are they?
    i liked the first album (never actually bought it though) and second album was very disappointing. depends how u define "good". technically they're average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    I liked Marilyn Manson's Mobscene if that helps...
    well 2b strict MM is industrial metal.
    black/death bands:
    darkthrone
    mayhem
    cannibal corpse
    windir
    immortal
    burzum (i dont like them)
    naglfar
    dissection
    cradle of filth (ealier work)
    gorogorth
    catamenia
    chthonic

ReputationRep:
    well 2b strict MM is industrial metal.
    black/death bands:
    darkthrone
    mayhem
    cannibal corpse
    windir
    immortal
    burzum (i dont like them)
    naglfar
    dissection
    cradle of filth (ealier work)
    gorogorth
    catamenia
    chthonic
    Erm...I'll pass.

ReputationRep:
    Linkin Park completely rocked the Reading Festival last summer - I wasn't expecting much from them, but I was pleasantly surprised. Their performance was simply awesome - so much energy etc. This really changed my opinion of Linkin Park, and now I have a lot more respect for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Linkin Park completely rocked the Reading Festival last summer - I wasn't expecting much from them, but I was pleasantly surprised. Their performance was simply awesome - so much energy etc. This really changed my opinion of Linkin Park, and now I have a lot more respect for them.
    They were wkd at Wembley in November! The gig was amazing - i liked Linkin Park as it was, but i prefer them so much more after seeing them live!! It was/is the best live gig that i've ever been to!!! Well worth getting squashed and hit on the head to be at the front of the mosh pit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    Although i personally don't like their music, I feel I should defend them. They are in no way manufactured, they met at school and have been together for years before they made it big. Just because their music actually has some sort of tune and melody doesn't mean they are a boy band. Also usually when diss linkin park for not being 'real' its because they are too 'mainstream' and 'commercial' but the so called 'real' stuff you suggested is just as mainstream just not as much so, and most of it is not as good except rage.
    No technically they are not manufactured but the record company did put them together by "recommending" certain people to join the band and that is how the full line-up was created. In my opinion, this definitly does make them manufactured.

Linkin Park are not a real band because they are strongly influenced by the record company who owns them. Every album they make, every single they release is based purely on a sales point of view.

The real stuff, bands like Nirvana, is real because all of their music is made because they loved music, it was their passion and you can really feel the emotion in the music. It was never about sales, for example, Nirvana's final album 'In Utero' was described as "commercial suicide" and that was after it had been altered (against the bands wishes) to make it more appealing to the mainstream! I can absolutely guarantee you now that Linkin Park would never ever EVER release such an album.

Linkin Park are cleverly presented though, they are 'alternative' enough in sound and appearance to attract quite a large amount of the alternative fans (now a large market) yet still mainstream enough to attract fans from pop which is obviously a massive market. They appeal to both groups and so have a high sales potential, something no other band I can think of has done before.

Other little things that bother me about Linkin Park are their use of guitar effects, if they are talented enough to write good music why must they use so many effects to improve their sound to the point that the guitar literally is unrecognisable as a guitar sound. Also apparantly if any member of Linkin Park are ever discovered to be doing drugs the record label will drop them immediately. It just shows how concerned the record label is about sales.

I know this is a long reply, what I'm basically saying is, the real bands write music because they love music and want to make great music and don't care about sales. This is pretty much the opposite to Linkin Park. In my opinion Linkin Park pretty much define the term 'sell outs'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    i love linkin park, they rock! There album is excellent!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care if they are manufactured or not, to be honest. What matters is the music...

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.