The Student Room Group

Ideas to stretch your student loan - what are yours?

As it's National Student Money Week we thought we'd share our top tips for saving money at university, from one student to another!

Your student loan doesn't always stretch far enough, we know, and working a part time job on top still might not seem like you've got a lot to play with. As a student I’ve created some clever ways to save some pennies….

#1- Recycle

Here's one for all those interior decorators out there - old alcohol bottles filled with fairy lights make a cheap lighting feature that will make your room stand out.

bottles.jpg

#2 - Travel Saving Apps

Travel saving apps such as Tickety Split that split your journey into 2 or 3 tickets instead of one can often save you lots of £££! You also avoid the hassle of changing trains, booking in advance (although that makes it even cheaper!) or having to travel at ridiculous times of the day! There really is massive amounts of money to be saved here - a return to Manchester from Coventry would normally cost me £100+, but using this app I managed to get a direct train each way for just over £20.

ticket.jpg

#3 - Write a list

I do this every time I'm going into town, or to the supermarket. The trick is sticking to it! It's so easy when you're shopping to think 'Oh! I fancy that and it's only cheap'. Be strict! If it's not on the list, something you've already budgeted for, or you don't desperately need it…then don't buy it!

list.jpg

The money you save each time you put that popcorn back adds up in the long run, and you can use all that money you’ve saved to treat yourself when you can afford to!

How do you save your pennies?

Posted by Josh, Official Student Rep, Coventry University
(edited 9 years ago)
If youre not too fussy you can buy out of date food on this website mentioned on dragons den - soo cheap.

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/
Original post by contradicta
If youre not too fussy you can buy out of date food on this website mentioned on dragons den - soo cheap.

I had no idea! What kind of food have you ordered from there? :cookie:
Original post by She-Ra
I had no idea! What kind of food have you ordered from there? :cookie:

Haven't tried it personally, I only found out about it last week.

I would give stuff like crisps and chocolate a chance, it doesn't really taste that different.
Reply 4

Oh amazing discovery! I should try it one day. If you buy something like snacks or chocolate but not fresh foods and vegetable I think it would be fine :biggrin: But the shopping bag must be at least 25kg for delivery. I wouldn't image how long I can consume all of those snacks :confused:

- Ha
Reply 5
Regarding the traveling cost, I have saved a lot of money by booking online on London Midland website A single journey between London-Coventry at mid-day normally costs me just £3.75 (ridiculous price!!) Sometime if you are lucky, you can get that price just by booking the ticket few days in advance.
Anyone have any other saving tips? :biggrin:
- Ha
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cov Uni
Oh amazing discovery! I should try it one day. If you buy something like snacks or chocolate but not fresh foods and vegetable I think it would be fine :biggrin: But the shopping bag must be at least 25kg for delivery. I wouldn't image how long I can consume all of those snacks :confused:

- Ha

Nah, it says the maximum it can contain is 25kg, so smaller orders are okay :smile:
Reply 7
Nah, it says the maximum it can contain is 25kg, so smaller orders are okay :smile:

Ah yeah, that's right. :biggrin: anyway I think I would still make a big order to save the delivery cost.

- Ha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending