~What are your opinions of these universities? Watch

~Sukhi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
My friend has recently come from Japan and he doesn't know much about UK universities. If it won't be too much trouble, please could you tell me a little bit about studying law at these universities and what their reputations are like. Thank you ^^!

1. Manchester
2. Sheffield
3. King's College
4. Nottingham
5. Birmingham
6. Queen Mary

Although this may not matter much, he would also like it if you could list them in roughly most reputable to least reputable. Thank you!
Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They are all in the UK's top 30 IMO. However if you want list it in order:

1. Nottingham
2. Manchester (might be 1 in a few years)
3. KCL (IMO over rated overall, but its law and humanities department is very good)
4. Birmingham
5. Queen Mary (Although abroad it would be top along with KCL)
~Sukhi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vincente)
They are all in the UK's top 30 IMO. However if you want list it in order:

1. Nottingham
2. Manchester (might be 1 in a few years)
3. KCL (IMO over rated overall, but its law and humanities department is very good)
4. Birmingham
5. Queen Mary (Although abroad it would be top along with KCL)
I noticed you missed out Sheffield :s Does this mean it is one of those invisible unis that no one knows about? :ninja:
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree with the above. In my opinion within the next 5-10 years Manchester will be a top 5-10 uni.
K.T.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No idea about law, but I'm applying of both Manchester and Sheffield, so obviously I think they're awesome...
Manchester is a very popular metropolitan university, while Sheffield is... well, in Sheffield. I only applied because of its excellent Russian Department really.
Vincente
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
soz, sheffield would be joint with birmingham at 4th
Vincente
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree with the above. In my opinion within the next 5-10 years Manchester will be a top 5-10 uni.
Thinking about that, it won't be top 5 as Oxbridge, lSE, IC and UCL will take up the top 5 for years to come. Personally I think it will be like Nottingham between 6-15 region yearly. Maybe it depends on the 2008 RAE.
~Sukhi
Rep:
?
Thanks for replies. Question number 2 (about Law): My sister is thinking to go to Sheffield to study History, and then do a law conversion there too. do they have preference over students already studying at their university already?......
Vincente
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oxbridge = oxford and cambridge
~Sukhi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vincente)
oxbridge = oxford and cambridge
O, silly me I read that as "Oxford" :rolleyes:
Vincente
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks for replies. Question number 2 (about Law): My sister is thinking to go to Sheffield to study History, and then do a law conversion there too. do they have preference over students already studying at their university already?......
They shouldn't do. History students are the most common students to enter the law profession after law graduates. I think they are more concerned with how well you did for your degree and maybe how good your reference was.
Singh_87
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Not much clued up on Law, but as general universities;

Nottingham
KCL
Manchester
Birmingham
Queen Mary
Sheffield.

I have heard KCL is pretty strong for Law though.... hope this helps...
miss_world
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Those seem like pretty decent solid choices to me, they all have good reputations.
swallows
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They're all good unis, usually between 10 and 20 in the league tables on the whole. I wouldn't want to rank them as they're more or less of a muchness. Although if I had to say one was weaker than the rest it would be Queen Mary, but that's just my subjective, and most probably wrong, opinion.
allymcb2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would say 1) Kings 2) Manchester 3) Nottingham ( though thats a close one) 4) Birmingham 5) Sheffield and 6) Queen Mary.

By the way sheffield is a horrible place to live.
~Sukhi
Rep:
?
(Original post by allymcb2)
I would say 1) Kings 2) Manchester 3) Nottingham ( though thats a close one) 4) Birmingham 5) Sheffield and 6) Queen Mary.

By the way sheffield is a horrible place to live.
Why?
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ~Sukhi)
Why?
Full of northerners, has a really crap polytechnic in the centre so lots of thickos, lots of council estates, and the centre isn't as good as Leeds or Manchester. There is very little in the way of decent architecture. Its cheapm and the nightlife is quite good compared to Oxford where I am, but thats about all its got going for it. Plus everything is miles away from everything else.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ~Sukhi)
My friend has recently come from Japan and he doesn't know much about UK universities. If it won't be too much trouble, please could you tell me a little bit about studying law at these universities and what their reputations are like. Thank you ^^!

1. Manchester
2. Sheffield
3. King's College
4. Nottingham
5. Birmingham
6. Queen Mary

Although this may not matter much, he would also like it if you could list them in roughly most reputable to least reputable. Thank you!
I'd say:

1) KCL (*very* good for law)
2) Nottingham (not only good for law, but also the LPC and practical courses)
3) Manchester
The other three I reckon are quite close. Sheffield's a good university, QMW has the advantage of being in London (employment-wise - it's where the chambers are) and Birmingham's pretty good as well.
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, it is quite difficult to get chambers experience in sheffield. although PWC are just opening an office there, and there are quite a few solicitors.
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
All very good -

I'd put KCL and Manchester as joint top, with Nottingham a close second (loses out because the city itself isn't that great imo), with the rest close behind - QM, Sheffield and Birmingham.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (458)
38.04%
No - but I will (91)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (84)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (571)
47.43%

Watched Threads