The Student Room Group

Would you save a drowning child no matter the circumstance?

Try this quiz to test your view morality:

http://www.philosophyexperiments.com/singer/

How do you feel now? What do you think of the quiz? do you agree with the logic behind the quiz, if not, why not? Do believe conclusions drawn from the answers you gave are accurate?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I got 70%. :erm: I don't donate because I can't see where that money is going.
I got 100%... but I don't donate regularly- I try to do the work myself by volunteering or by helping people if the situation arises. It's an interesting quiz!
Original post by Jibola240
Try this quiz to test your view morality:

http://www.philosophyexperiments.com/singer/

How feel now? What do you think of the quiz? do you agree with the logic behind the quiz, if not, why not? Do believe conclusions drawn from the answers you gave accurate?

The whole quiz is a thinly veiled attempt to guilt people into donating money to charity.

Make people say repeatedly that they have a moral obligation to help children that cannot help themselves and then try to make them feel bad if they do not donate money to a charity that helps children.

Pathetic.
Reply 4
Seems academic but is very biased hardly something you would even disguise as a scientific study.
Reply 5
Results Summary

In your own terms, you are weakly obliged to make a donation to an overseas aid agency within the next few days

This is (somewhat) contrary to your claim that you're not obliged to make such a donation

As a result of your responses, this activity has put you on the naughty step (you need to stay there for at least half an hour)

**** off!!
Reply 6
100%..... wow
Well apparently a priest saved Hitler from drowning so I mean. I'd have to have an on spot vision there and then to save that child. Soz not soz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 100% but I am by no means obligated to donate to any charities however the site claims that I am based on my answers on the test. They were clearly making a comparison between the drowning child and the issues abroad e.g starvation.
0% for me...what a stupid quiz.
Reply 10
Stupid quiz and was obvious what was going on as soon as the foreign child question came up.

70% because I don't believe in donating money to foreign charities.
Reply 11
Forgot about this thread, lol. Interesting answers.
55% for me. It's a grey area though because in my case I can recognise that I'm morally obligated to do the things but that doesn't necessarily mean that I actually would do them.
Yes I am a heroic viking, fit and healthy swimmer and this is the kind of thing I'd do.
100%.
Reply 15
Quiz got angry at me for not giving the answers it wanted and then broke :frown:
got 100% but then it became tldr so I closed the page
Original post by William Pitt
Yes I am a heroic viking, fit and healthy swimmer and this is the kind of thing I'd do.

Finns can't be vikings! Just like Jews can't be pirates, or paladins

Spoiler

Lmao, the website says I'm strongly obliged to make a donation to an overseas aid agency within the next few days, little does the website know, I'm broke XD.
Reply 19
Told me 100% obligated, but it's 100% wrong. It has made assumptions about why I chose the answers that I did, and they do not hold. I'm not a moral hypocrite! Honest.

Quick Reply

Latest