You're introducing a guy to the family for the first time...

Watch
Poll: Pick one.
Lawyer (0)
0%
Doctor (3)
27.27%
Investment Banker / Financial Services (2)
18.18%
Other particular career (0)
0%
Self-employed/Entrepreneur (0)
0%
PhD holder (0)
0%
From the same asian country (0)
0%
From the same religion eg. Muslim/Jewish/etc (1)
9.09%
From same race (1)
9.09%
Oxbridge degree (2)
18.18%
Drives a Porsche 911 (0)
0%
He loves me soooooooo much (2)
18.18%
He’s a moderator on TSR. (0)
0%
SquareBrackets
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
You've got a few sentences to describe what he is/does.

What single attribute do you think would impress your family the most?

I have intentionally excluded things like 'owns a company with the market cap of Bangladesh's GDP' or 'he is Prince Harry' based on the very small statistical chance of this happening. I have tried included reasonably common things.

Please explain why.

Thanks!
Ahava
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The only thing that matters to my family is that he respects me and loves me. They don't care for his qualifications (or lack of) or his profession.
SquareBrackets
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ahava)
The only thing that matters to my family is that he respects me and loves me. They don't care for his qualifications (or lack of) or his profession.
Thats awesome! I think most families would say the same thing.
Comeback
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oxbridge degree and Drives a Porche 911 would probably shock me the most. That's not to say the other options aren't impressive.
EnterNamehereplz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Investment banking only because I see myself becoming one I could also drive that Porsche and be of the same race
Ahava
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SquareBrackets)
Thats awesome! I think most families would say the same thing.
Yes, they say that and it's also what they believe. My family is mixed race and so being with someone from another race or the same race isn't anything out of the ordinary. I wouldn't be with a religious person since I'm not religious. People who tend to have Oxford degrees, very high professional careers with expensive cars tend to be from a different world from what I am. My family are working class and we don't tend to mix with the rich for many reasons. I would never be with a rich person, and if I was, my family would be worried.

My boyfriend is an artist without any professional qualifications. My family couldn't be happier.
SquareBrackets
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ahava)
Yes, they say that and it's also what they believe. My family is mixed race and so being with someone from another race or the same race isn't anything out of the ordinary. I wouldn't be with a religious person since I'm not religious. People who tend to have Oxford degrees, very high professional careers with expensive cars tend to be from a different world from what I am. My family are working class and we don't tend to mix with the rich for many reasons. I would never be with a rich person, and if I was, my family would be worried.

My boyfriend is an artist without any professional qualifications. My family couldn't be happier.
That might be true for your family and it is admirable but I don't think most families are like this.

Tomorrow if I tell my mother, 'Mum I've found the girl of my dreams. Right now she's unemployed and uneducated but she's definitely working on some things...lots of projects'. Id be kicked out of the family.

She would, deep-down, what me to find someone whose well-educated and well-to-do while making it sound that ultimately I have complete freedom, but I don't think I do. There's always an expectation to bring back someone of some standing...
Ahava
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SquareBrackets)
That might be true for your family and it is admirable but I don't think most families are like this.

Tomorrow if I tell my mother, 'Mum I've found the girl of my dreams. Right now she's unemployed and uneducated but she's definitely working on some things...lots of projects'. Id be kicked out of the family.

She would, deep-down, what me to find someone whose well-educated and well-to-do while making it sound that ultimately I have complete freedom, but I don't think I do. There's always an expectation to bring back someone of some standing...
That's true. Most families definitely aren't as accepting as mine.

You don't have to have qualifications to be successful. My boyfriend's annual income is triple figures without a professional qualification.

It's sad that a family will disown their own blood because they love someone without an education.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (67)
14.69%
I'm not sure (16)
3.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (154)
33.77%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.75%
I'm not a current university student (211)
46.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise