Fresh start at uni; what if many others from my school go?

Watch
9823899s89jojs
Badges: 3
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Long story short, I want to leave people from my school behind.

I'm thing about applying to Birmingham but I live in Derby so a LOT of people apply to Birmingham.

One of the things I look forward to at uni I'd making new friends and leaving my school life behind. Would this be more difficult if many people from my school went to the same uni, with a few on the same course? How often would I come across or come into contact with these people (assuming I don't want to)?
dp247
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Leaving your friends behind at uni is easy if they're at the same one as you - considering there's potentially thousands of people on campus - sure you may see them pop up every now and again, but that would be about it. But if they're on the same course, it would depend how big the course is. If it has a couple of hundred people, it would be quite easy. If it had 20-30, it would be harder (although not impossible ).
moment of truth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Uni is massive. You may see a few people but it depends on if they are living close to you etc. should be fairly easy to ignore them if you really wanted to.
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kaiwid23)
How often would I come across or come into contact with these people (assuming I don't want to)?
If you're on the same course, you'll see them about - but only during teaching contact hours which won't dominate a whole week. If not, then you probably won't see people all that often. Tbh, as long as you're not in the same bit of accomodation, you'll probably drift apart very naturally as you make your own seperate group of friends.
9823899s89jojs
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by moment of truth)
Uni is massive. You may see a few people but it depends on if they are living close to you etc. should be fairly easy to ignore them if you really wanted to.

(Original post by Champagne Supernova)
If you're on the same course, you'll see them about - but only during teaching contact hours which won't dominate a whole week. If not, then you probably won't see people all that often. Tbh, as long as you're not in the same bit of accomodation, you'll probably drift apart very naturally as you make your own seperate group of friends.
How would I make sure not to get accommodation with them???
EllieC130
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's honestly not hard; about 10 people from my school went to my uni and I only talk to one of them.
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
You can't. The chances of being in the same accomm as them are incredibly slim, especially at a uni as large as Birmingham.
moment of truth
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can't, but the chance that you will get accommodation with them is pretty low I would say due to how many people there are at uni etc.

You could ask them if they are putting Birmingham as their firm and if so which accommodation they are going for? If you really wanted to know.
mayamiller
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Long story short, I want to leave people from my school behind.

I'm thing about applying to Birmingham but I live in Derby so a LOT of people apply to Birmingham.

One of the things I look forward to at uni I'd making new friends and leaving my school life behind. Would this be more difficult if many people from my school went to the same uni, with a few on the same course? How often would I come across or come into contact with these people (assuming I don't want to)?
You can't plan whats gonna happen especially for the people you wanna avoid but making new friends should be quite fine I think. Just give subtle hints that you wanna start a new chapter. At least thats what I am doing. Ended up travelling halfway across the world to avoid 5 particular people and turns out ALL of them will be joining the uni down the road from me. Life just has its own weird ways….
New- Emperor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it's odd i met a few people from my school at uni and the conversation was really stilted it was like talking to a stranger just a bit stilted
RachelLJ
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Going to sound weird but what about Glasgow? Buzzing vibe, pretty good uni. Why not just leave the country behind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are 28,664 students at Birmingham university, and millions of people in the city itself. The odds of seeing half a dozen people you went to school with, unless you choose to do so, are virtually nil.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads