lossayyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm moving to Manchester for university in September and I need to buy my own laptop. I don't get paid a lot and I'm trying to save as much money as possible for uni.

I obviously want one that's lightweight, but I don't need any fancy features like video editing. I just need it for typing, videochatting and social media!

I've found a chromebook here: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...pdt.html#cat-0 for a decent price and it sounds good, although I've heard some negative reviews about chromebooks it's kind of putting me off. Does anyone have any experience with them or know of any proper laptops (NOT touchscreen or convertible!) that aren't crazily expensive?
scriberg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
chromebooks are best if youre almost always connected to the internet since all your files are backed up to the cloud

i would recommend getting a reasonable 15.6" windows laptop since its basically what you need and its great for watching your shows

im gonna get a decent laptop when i go to uni this year too!
lossayyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by scriberg)
chromebooks are best if youre almost always connected to the internet since all your files are backed up to the cloud

i would recommend getting a reasonable 15.6" windows laptop since its basically what you need and its great for watching your shows

im gonna get a decent laptop when i go to uni this year too!
I have a Windows laptop at my house, it's very bulky though and would be incredibly hard to carry everywhere! It's hard to find a balance of what I'm looking for.
scriberg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i guess they can be, but some the new ones are really light

laptops are only heavy because of their batteries
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lossayyy)
I'm moving to Manchester for university in September and I need to buy my own laptop. I don't get paid a lot and I'm trying to save as much money as possible for uni.

I obviously want one that's lightweight, but I don't need any fancy features like video editing. I just need it for typing, videochatting and social media!

I've found a chromebook here: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...pdt.html#cat-0 for a decent price and it sounds good, although I've heard some negative reviews about chromebooks it's kind of putting me off. Does anyone have any experience with them or know of any proper laptops (NOT touchscreen or convertible!) that aren't crazily expensive?
I wouldn't recommend them either.....you'll miss the lack of on board storage and other features and its heavily reliant on a good WiFi connection.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How much would you be willing to spend? Chromebooks are much better than Windows machines if you want something for about £200.
Welsh_insomniac
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Windows is pretty irrelevant these days, I'd especially avoid low end cheap manufacturer machines because they're full of bloat-ware and they simply don't run properly. If you're looking for a budget laptop then a Chromebook is excellent. I wouldn't worry too much about WiFi. University's are known for having lots of a great wifi spots around campus. Plus you can use apps offline.

It's great as well if you have bought into the Google Play ecosystem. Even if you haven't you can still upload up to 20,000 songs of your own onto Google Plays cloud.
Baby Milo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Considering you don't want to spend a lot, I'd recommend a Chromebook as they're incredibly lightweight and sufficient for your needs. Had you a larger budget then I'd have recommended either the Macbook Air or Dell XPS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (142)
62.01%
I don't have everything I need (87)
37.99%

Watched Threads