Thomas9090
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What kind of 'evidence' do they require for DSAs?

The form says "You should provide a written statement or letter from a doctor orappropriate qualified medical professional which confirms a substantialand long term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-dayactivities."

I have diagnosis letters for medical conditions, and an educational report confirming autism, but none of these confirm "a substantial and long term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.". These documents just say what i have.

Is this good enough? Surely i can explain how it effects me at the assessment? I don't really want to contact loads of doctors to have them write me another set of letters, and again i wouldn't know what they really needed to say.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You need a third party to explain how your condition will specifically affect your ability to study at uni, and the types of study or uni activities which might be difficult. Your GP should be able to do this after a chat with you and looking at your notes/letters. The form is looking for objective information from a professional. You can certainly explain this in more detail at your assessment and your additional information will be taken into account at that point.
NJones
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This "substantial and long term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities" was recently introduced and causing some issues for SFE (its not been introduced for SFW yet). The letter/ report from a medical professional needs to highlight how your condition affects your ability to study and day to day functioning in relation to your course. Anything to do with washing/ dressing type statements will be disregarded. We've seen a number of students applications be rejected because the letter just states "X suffers from X" and further evidence required.

There is a Mental Health evidence form from SFE which if the doctor just ticks a box is accepted.

If the educational report confirming autism has been rejected, it may be because it may not meet the current requirements for approved 'tests/ assessments' for this condition. They have a tick list criteria and if one tick is missing (but the report was fine when it was written) then you will be asked to submit up to date information. This is the same position for learning differences.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My evidence regarding my Autism didn't actually state it's a long term thing and has a adverse effect. It just said things like my concentration is affected.

I didn't send my actual diagnostic report in because it didn't seem that relevant to DSA.
thestranger11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Same as what others have said; I have autism aswell and got my psychologist to fill in the mental health form (she put aspergers on there also). Just in case this wasn't enough she wrote a supporting letter stating how it affect me.
My DSA got approved recently so you don't need that much evidence.

I guess you just have to go back to your GP and explain, they should be able to put it into one letter saying you have x and that makes it difficult to do x ect

examples : writing, reading, motivation, concentration, mobility ect

Maybe you should talk to your college/uni support/disability people, I reckon they will be able to help you with your application more. Good luck
NJones
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The requirements for evidence have changed for this academic year making the whole process more difficult for all involved.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads