Achieving an A/A* in A level Mathematics Watch

Arsenallllllllll
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guyssssss,
I currently go to college 4 days a week and study AS and A2 Maths, my offers from Uni's all require A/A* in Maths as I intend to study Maths. I have 3 days off so a lot of time to devote to Maths. Sooooooo what can I do to achieve this grade? Is there any specific techniques? Worksheets/Past Papers? What order should I do them in? How many hours a day? A timetable? This grade is everything!!!

Maybe we could follow it and Beast the exams!
Share problems, etc......

Any advice would be fully appreciated.
Thanks, THE BEASTTTTTT
Lucasium
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Once you understand the content, past papers are king apparently

Posted from TSR Mobile
ComputerMaths97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Write really extensive notes on EVERYTHING. Then every day, read them a few times then condense it down. Condense it down until you literally only have the absolute basics + essentials. Then, just make sure you pretty much know these off by heart. Wait a few weeks, whilst checking through the notes a few times. Then get back into stride and do every past paper (one every 1-2 days) Write notes on everything you got wrong. Everything. And repeat the condensing of these notes. Then leave it until closer to exams, and repeat this last section (past papers). By this point, for maths, you should pretty much know the whole spec inside out. BEST OF LUCK BTW!!
Computer Geek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What exam board do you do?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are loads of questions to practice in each textbook. After that, work on past papers. Find harder papers online if you've run out of ones from your exam board.
anonwinner
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just do past papers and practice questions all the time. I haven't made any notes like the guy above says to do, notes aren't really needed for maths.

I got an A at AS and aiming for A* at A2
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by joe12345marc)
Write really extensive notes on EVERYTHING. Then every day, read them a few times then condense it down. Condense it down until you literally only have the absolute basics + essentials. Then, just make sure you pretty much know these off by heart. Wait a few weeks, whilst checking through the notes a few times. Then get back into stride and do every past paper (one every 1-2 days) Write notes on everything you got wrong. Everything. And repeat the condensing of these notes. Then leave it until closer to exams, and repeat this last section (past papers). By this point, for maths, you should pretty much know the whole spec inside out. BEST OF LUCK BTW!!

(Original post by anonwinner)
I just do past papers and practice questions all the time. I haven't made any notes like the guy above says to do, notes aren't really needed for maths.

I probably also agree about not needing notes for maths (for most students) but I have found from my experience that it does work for some students
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lies. You do need notes. Just maybe not as many as anyone else. If anybody has ever not taken any notes whatsoever, written none at home and not written down anything to focus on and then got an A*, I commend you because you're lying. Notes make it so god damn easy that it removes the having to think and turns it into remembering which eventually becomes a natural and almost muscle memory-like action.
RhymeAsylumForever
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lies. You do need notes. Just maybe not as many as anyone else. If anybody has ever not taken any notes whatsoever, written none at home and not written down anything to focus on and then got an A*, I commend you because you're lying. Notes make it so god damn easy that it removes the having to think and turns it into remembering which eventually becomes a natural and almost muscle memory-like action.
Of course you need notes but not revision notes? I practice by just doing questions from the book and then bang out all the past papers. Got an A at AS so must be doing something right.
pryngles
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
seconded
kira1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Did you ever struggle with maths ?
Am I too late ?
I'm doing as Maths and struggling so Maths I'm missing 6 hours of Maths on Saturday to go to UoB
My school is apparently behind so we have to go in on that Saturday and she's covering five chapters
What can I do and how
Do I have hope of getting a high A
Sorry for bombarding you with questions
I would really appreciate it if you can reply
Thank you
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RhymeAsylumForever)
Of course you need notes but not revision notes? I practice by just doing questions from the book and then bang out all the past papers. Got an A at AS so must be doing something right.
I expect 100 UMS in Maths AS this year. Which is why I write revision notes. Because it makes it easier. Don't get why people shortcut stuff and risk doing less better.
Arsenallllllllll
Rep:
?
Thanksssss
Arsenallllllllll
Rep:
?
(Original post by thahleel)
what exam board do you do?

edexcel core; s1;m1
Cerdic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
  • Past paper.
  • Mark past paper.
  • See what you got wrong.
  • Look up how to do whatever it was via Youtube/ textbook/ whatever, perhaps do some practice questions.
  • Another past paper, make sure you got it right this time.
  • Repeat 5-10x for each module.
  • A*.

(If you're obsessive like me, you can check UMS constantly. This helps when you do a really hard past paper and you do rubbish on it. For extreme revision, do Solomon papers.
Arsenallllllllll
Rep:
?
Solomons, etc anyone has an order?
anonwinner
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RhymeAsylumForever)
Yes obviously you make notes e.g. when you are practicing different types of questions you are technically making notes but I pretty much never use these notes for revision.
anonwinner
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I expect 100 UMS in Maths AS this year. Which is why I write revision notes. Because it makes it easier. Don't get why people shortcut stuff and risk doing less better.
I am not shortcutting anything I just don't see the point in making revision notes for maths I don't think it would help at all. And bro if you get only 100 UMS you will get a U
Hedgehog648
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Revision notes aren't really the best use of time for a maths exam. It can help, but there are more efficient ways.

Past papers are always the best way forward - Cerdic's method is definitely the best way to go, because the muscle memory you talk about comes better from answering lots of questions than it does from writing and rereading lots of notes.
pryngles
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cerdic)
  • Past paper.
  • Mark past paper.
  • See what you got wrong.
  • Look up how to do whatever it was via Youtube/ textbook/ whatever, perhaps do some practice questions.
  • Another past paper, make sure you got it right this time.
  • Repeat 5-10x for each module.
  • A*.

(If you're obsessive like me, you can check UMS constantly. This helps when you do a really hard past paper and you do rubbish on it. For extreme revision, do Solomon papers.
UMS obsession is the way.

Different people revise in different ways. I did a bunch of past papers repeatedly, making sure I knew where I went wrong (what Cerdic said) and ended up with 297/300 last year, but then again you don't necessarily need to do past papers to get in the high-end of the 90's, but neither do you need to make notes, it completely depends on the individual. In my experience the past-paperers tend to do better than the noters, but each to their own.

---

My advice would be: do past papers, take notes, find out which is working better for you and stick with it. You'll be fine, just no slacking!! However, I would recommend skipping the open day and doing the maths instead. Open days are fairly regular throughout the year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?