Why are Americans so arrogant/stubborn?

Watch
Dodgypirate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm at University in the West and studying Criminology. There are 3 obnoxious Americans from West Virginia in my group, and they are hands down the most arrogant and stubborn people I've come across. Furthermore, it seems like all the Americans on the internet have something against us Brits and our way-of-life.

My mum's half American, so I can only go so far, but I'm fed up with the "Omegerd learn how to spell Math properly, or aluminum" and ****. And don't get me started when it comes to politics and gun laws.

Why is it that they are so horrible?
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ifailedumad)
its the corn m9
The "corn"? What dya mean?
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pretty sure if it was the other way around (3 brits and 1 murican) it would just be turned on them. Dont let it get to you
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
Pretty sure if it was the other way around (3 brits and 1 murican) it would just be turned on them. Dont let it get to you
When I was in the States I never got called anything bad by anyone. I spent 3 months over there and felt just fine, if not better than in the UK.

I think it's just yanks abroad that are the problem.
hmushy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dodgypirate)
I'm at University in the West and studying Criminology. There are 3 obnoxious Americans from West Virginia in my group, and they are hands down the most arrogant and stubborn people I've come across. Furthermore, it seems like all the Americans on the internet have something against us Brits and our way-of-life.

My mum's half American, so I can only go so far, but I'm fed up with the "Omegerd learn how to spell Math properly, or aluminum" and ****. And don't get me started when it comes to politics and gun laws.

Not all of us are against it geez. Overgeneralizing much?
cant_think_of_name
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most of the Americans I've met (both here and there) have been lovely. Obviously you get some ***** but you get that with Brits as well
california.girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hmushy)
Not all of us are against it geez. Overgeneralizing much?
Exactly what i was thinking. And don't tell me Brits never insult Americans?
Jibola240
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I always felt it was Brits that tend to be the ones that take issue with the differences that exist USA, such as different spelling, sports, vocabulary ect. I've never seen an American(on the Internet) complain about the differences.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Americans are a lot friendlier. Especially in the south.
hmushy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by california.girl)
Exactly what i was thinking. And don't tell me Brits never insult Americans?
Precisely. As an American in the UK, especially a New Yorker, I get so much "banter" from friends for being American. In the not-so-distant past there would somehow be people that knew me as "the American"; people I didn't even know. Sure there were people who were star struck I guess, but that was short lived. They just wanted to be friends with "the American". There are two sides OP, don't forget that.
hmushy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jibola240)
I always thought it was Brits that tend to be the ones that take issue with the differences that exist in the USA, such as different spelling,sports,vocabulary. I've never seen an American(on the Internet) complain about the differences.
They do take issue, and not just on the internet.
SnoochToTheBooch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I always felt it was Brits that tend to be the ones that take issue with the differences that exist USA, such as different spelling, sports, vocabulary ect. I've never seen an American(on the Internet) complain about the differences.
Have you been on youtube ever?
goldie56
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
https://twitter.com/familyguyonfox/s...92606519066624

When it comes to spelling, they have an obvious tendency to point it out
Chi019
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Three people from West Virginia is hardly representative of Americans!
Jibola240
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
Have you been on youtube ever?
I'm on there all the time. I have seen those us vs UK spelling vids. But I was taking about an American who is geniunly annoyed at the differences.

(Original post by goldie56)
https://twitter.com/familyguyonfox/s...92606519066624

When it comes to spelling, they have an obvious tendency to point it out
I meant complain in a negative way. That tweet was an obvious joke.

(Original post by hmushy)
They do take issue, and not just on the internet.
Ok, fair enough
hmushy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chi019)
Three people from West Virginia is hardly representative of Americans!
True dat, Preach it!
SnoochToTheBooch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm on there all the time. I have seen those us vs UK spelling vids. But I was taking about an American who is geniunly annoyed at the differences.
I meant the comment sections rather than the videos.
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Furthermore, it seems like all the Americans on the internet
Because THE INTERNET is a great point of reference. By that thinking, I could make all sorts of assumptions based off of the brits I see here on TSR. For example, this post could lead me to believe that all brits are arrogant, intolerant, and unaware of the world

Having spent 12 years in an American school and the last 3ish in uni in England I'd say people here are more arrogant/stubborn while Americans friendlier but perhaps a little more clueless of the world. But both of those are still massive generaliZations (umad I spell properly? )
Frostyjoe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

You know what I want to immigrate to America and i've been there twice but I do agree ALOT of them think they are better/superior than anyone else in the world. Their ignorance is rife and they just assume that they should shout USA USA all the time. I have seen some pretty dumpy areas of America that are like slums so its not all great.

There are some respectful Americans who are mortified by this behaviour. Tbh its usually people who don't travel and are easily swayed and not to stereotype but my experience also says that it is usually the minoritiy non white people who are like this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (91)
52.6%
No, they should still go ahead (34)
19.65%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (48)
27.75%

Watched Threads