Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
checked at 9.25 and its already closed.. wow

So who am I up against, what departments did you apply to, whats your experience etc etc, show yourselves
munchies123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bit of a lonely forum...
Well I have an interview at the Treasury next week. Pretty worried about the economics part ... i.e. most of it Image

I've summarised GES interview intel from previous tsr forums that may (or may not) be of use, so here's my offering:
- Competency questions - i.e. teamwork etc (mainly based on application).
- Motivation questions - why you want to work for them and why you'd fit in there.
- Lots of economics based questions:
> Mainly 1st year macro/micro - inflation rates, interest rates, minimum wage rate, AD-AS, monetary/fiscal policy, elasticities, externalities, automatic stabilisers, etc etc
> Be up to date on current economic issues and current UK macroeconomic policy (e.g. interest rate decisions, QE, budget report (if applicable)).

Anyone had their interview and wants to shed some light on what its actually like.....??
Would be much appreciated Image
SimEco
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just had an interview too,
I'm not sure if I will be getting the summer placement but I am glad I gained interview experience.
What you have typed above seems pretty much accurate.
Let me know how it goes !!
Dude247
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys,
I have applied to DWP and have my interview in a couple of days, what kind of questions will they ask me, in particular macro and micro economics? How detailed do my answers need to be, for example tell me about a contractionary monetary policy and its effect on the economy?
Any info would be helpful?
Dude247
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SimEco)
I just had an interview too,
I'm not sure if I will be getting the summer placement but I am glad I gained interview experience.
What you have typed above seems pretty much accurate.
Let me know how it goes !!
How detailed were your answers? Just the basic concepts? Or were they quite scrutinising?
SimEco
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My answers were fairly brief with slight details because it seemed like basic questions. Have you had your interview yet ??
SimEco
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also, check their guide interview practice questions, the questions are similar.
SimEco
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by munchies123)
Bit of a lonely forum...
Well I have an interview at the Treasury next week. Pretty worried about the economics part ... i.e. most of it Image

I've summarised GES interview intel from previous tsr forums that may (or may not) be of use, so here's my offering:
- Competency questions - i.e. teamwork etc (mainly based on application).
- Motivation questions - why you want to work for them and why you'd fit in there.
- Lots of economics based questions:
> Mainly 1st year macro/micro - inflation rates, interest rates, minimum wage rate, AD-AS, monetary/fiscal policy, elasticities, externalities, automatic stabilisers, etc etc
> Be up to date on current economic issues and current UK macroeconomic policy (e.g. interest rate decisions, QE, budget report (if applicable)).

Anyone had their interview and wants to shed some light on what its actually like.....??
Would be much appreciated Image
Hi
How was your interview and have you heard anything back yet ?
Rajeeb123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Everyone,

I am posting my interview experience with GES here because I think its a great opportunity for students that are applying in the future. I got offered place in Office of National Statistics.

The process started with a short numeracy test which had 10 questions and lasted 15 minutes. It was fairly easy as long as you practised the sample numerical test on the GES website. So don't rush if anything went wrong you still have the interview !!
Tips: Practise, practise and practise.

After that I had an interview with 2 of the head analysts at ONS
At start there will be 2 to 3 soft questions such as
1) Give an instance where you had to work in a team and what responsibility you had?
1b) If you had to do the same project today what different would you do?
Tips: Be very clear with your answer, dont be nervous always prepare some examples. Use the STAR approach.
2) Give a time where someone influenced you or changed your opinion about something.

Now comes the Economics Questions 2 parts Micro and Macro.
Topics Include
Interest rate - Real and Nominal. How it affects firms? Should they Invest or hold cash?
Deflation- What is it? Is it worrying?
Externalities- Definition? What types positive and negative? What should the govt do in case of externalities- regulate-tax-property rights etc? Keep it simple DO NOT OVER COMPLICATE!!!
Some answers took explaining with easy graphs.

The end part of the interview I got asked if I have any questions for them?
So if you do have any questions please do ask them its always good to build small talk.

Thats all!! Hope I could help and best of luck!!

P.S remember Keep it SIMPLE guys and do not panic they will help you.
munchies123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SimEco)
Hi
How was your interview and have you heard anything back yet ?
Not heard back yet, did they tell you when to expect a response?

My experience at the Treasury also started with a (pretty simple) 15mins numerical test.

The interview lasted approx 30mins with two super friendly economists.
Started simple with motivation and competency (organising/prioritizing, persuasion and teamwork) questions.

Then on to the economics. I didn't prepare enough but it isn't as difficult as I expected. I assumed they would test how we apply economic knowledge, but they mainly test abstract concepts learnt in 1st year micro/macro (but of course being aware of what's going on in the news wouldn't hurt).

The questions are actually pretty close (and in some cases the same) as in the GES Interview Examples. I was asked about..
Macro: Inflation/deflation, monetary/fiscal policy and AD-AS, Keysian cross/IS-LM/mulitpiers.
Micro: Externalities, labour markets, mininmum wage

The interviews will differ department to department, but don't be too overwhelmed by the economics part.
They're looking for a good grasp on basic concepts so they won't try and throw you off.

Good luck!
SimEco
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by munchies123)
Not heard back yet, did they tell you when to expect a response?

My experience at the Treasury also started with a (pretty simple) 15mins numerical test.

The interview lasted approx 30mins with two super friendly economists.
Started simple with motivation and competency (organising/prioritizing, persuasion and teamwork) questions.

Then on to the economics. I didn't prepare enough but it isn't as difficult as I expected. I assumed they would test how we apply economic knowledge, but they mainly test abstract concepts learnt in 1st year micro/macro (but of course being aware of what's going on in the news wouldn't hurt).

The questions are actually pretty close (and in some cases the same) as in the GES Interview Examples. I was asked about..
Macro: Inflation/deflation, monetary/fiscal policy and AD-AS, Keysian cross/IS-LM/mulitpiers.
Micro: Externalities, labour markets, mininmum wage

The interviews will differ department to department, but don't be too overwhelmed by the economics part.
They're looking for a good grasp on basic concepts so they won't try and throw you off.

Good luck!
Thank you so much and they said by the time easter is over and so, im assuming some time next week perhaps ? Good Luck to you too!
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Oh damn, people actually replied, very useful comments i appreciate it

I have my interview on wednesday
SimEco
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ohh this wednesday ?
Can you ask them when they will get back to you ?Because they didnt give us a specific time.
Also, Good Luck!
SimEco
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Has anyone recieved an offer or any response at all ?
dusty9191
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Got an offer to do a summer internship with the Home Office, is anyone else in the same boat?
SimEco
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Congrats, you must have done really well.
Nope - havent heard anything yet.
But I applied at the Treasury
kar208
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone have an interview at BIS and heard back yet?
21ringro
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Received an offer for the WPP team in HM Treasury
munchies123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 21ringro)
Received an offer for the WPP team in HM Treasury
Nice work, congrats to everyone who's been successful!

For Treasury people still waiting, I was told this morning that they will let everyone know the outcome early next week at the latest.

Good luck!
SimEco
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (7)
11.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.47%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.08%
I need help with my personal statement (25)
42.37%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
23.73%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.39%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.08%

Watched Threads