Why Are Molecular Approaches So Important In The Classification Of Bacteria?????????? Watch

Kooldood
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hello. I wanted to know, why molecular approaches are so important in classification of bacteria. Any explaination would be very appreciated, or any help on where I can find this information. Look forward to your reply. Thanks
meerkatt84
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm guessing "molecular methods" here means using bacterial ribosomal RNA to classify bacteria.

Basically, bacteria used to be classed as one big group, but now due to this kind of molecular analysis, its been found that a subset of bacteria, the archaea, are more similar to eukaryotic cells (whereas the eubacteria are more like the traditional "bacteria").
Molecular sequencing has highlighted this extra subdivision, and has shown that bacterial divisions differ quite a bit from an evolutionary perspective. You wouldn't really be able to see this difference using the cells' features to classify them, hence the importance of molecular methods.

Hope that helps! ...and that I've not made things worse!!
Kooldood
Rep:
?
Yes, thanks meerkatt. that was very helpful!!!. Nice one
Kooldood
Rep:
?
So when you say using bacterial ribosomal RNA, are you referring to the process called Ribotyping?

Also would other approaches like DNANA hybridization and fatty acid analysis be used in the classification of BACTERIA? Your help would be very appreciated. Look forward to your reply. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed