The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

We should go to war with Russia!

We should send 100,000 troops to Ukraine to sort the Russians out and close the border. If necessary we should send 200,000 soldiers to Ukraine. The Ukrainian conflict has been going on too long and the UK must stop. If we do not have enough troops than conscription will be necessary for this conflict that threatens to spell out of control if we do nothing. The country should start getting ready now for the inevitable.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
See you on the front line then mate
Reply 2
Original post by zxh800
See you on the front line then mate

This will be a national decision, not an individual decision. It is about a national effort to defend Ukraine from the Russians. Every one should get involved. We need decisive action and every individual must take responsibility for the security of Ukraine. Or else it will only be the first country to be annexed. Better to take preemptive action than wait until a time when the Russians have taken too much land for military action to be effective.
Reply 3
It's easy for westerners to say things like yeah Fu** Russia while the eastern countries are actually at the risk of being in danger. But then again, 'NATO' never actually cared for everyone, as long as they see the competition defeated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
They've just agreed a peace treaty?
Reply 5
I agree OP. Those dam Ruskies invading the innocent Ukraine.

Glory to Britannia.. conscript at once.. get all the women in the factories..

This is horrifying to read. Surely none of you are serious? Sending other people's children to go die in a foreign land for starters...
Reply 7
We don't even have 100,000 troops...

Going to war would kind of **** up the peace treaty, now wouldn't it?
[video="youtube;zr5ksOyxZRU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr5ksOyxZRU[/video]

:ciao:

:wavey:
With the ever increasing dependence on the reserves and an ever decreasing defence budget and strength, I doubt it'd go too well
Original post by Moosferatu
This is horrifying to read. Surely none of you are serious? Sending other people's children to go die in a foreign land for starters...

I don't think anybody is serious about actually going to war directly albeit i do believe that we should be arming the Ukranian government to the teeth.

The fact it's a foreign land is largely irrelevant. Firstly because it is in our interests for Ukraine as a potential consumer market to be in the European customs union rather than Russia. Secondly because if you believe in liberty then you should believe that the Ukranian people deserve to be free of Russian imperialism.
Reply 11
Original post by Rakas21
I don't think anybody is serious about actually going to war directly albeit i do believe that we should be arming the Ukranian government to the teeth.

The fact it's a foreign land is largely irrelevant. Firstly because it is in our interests for Ukraine as a potential consumer market to be in the European customs union rather than Russia. Secondly because if you believe in liberty then you should believe that the Ukranian people deserve to be free of Russian imperialism.

By that logic of believing in liberty, surely the Ukrainian rebels should be free of the Ukrainian government, and so they should be free to make their own country should they choose so.
Reply 12
It is easy to sit home and order things. Serve 6 months of military service in the cold deserts of Siberia, eat raw meat, fight wolves with a knife, get punished and walk 20km with 20-30kg of weapons and guard a post for 12 hours each day for 2 weeks and then talk. It is easy to sit on the couch, eat biscuits, watch television when other people leave their families, get killed at the age of 21-23 leaving families without children , parents and so on. War is never good and will never be the solution.
Lol@ 100, 000 Troops

We can barely send 15,000 Troops to Afghanistan without hearing how the forces are at breaking point
Original post by Rakas21

I do believe in liberty however I think the West's mandate on liberty is a paper tiger - mass surveillance, censorship, inane and unflinching attitudes towards drug prohibition, support for some of the most brutal and tyrannical regimes on the planet, to name a few examples of the hypocrisy of our governments. This talk of liberty is just a war drum to bang: I would rather we could be more confident in defending it but as it stands, we're not very different from Putin's mafia state. Just another great power that needs to chill out.
Original post by aoxa
By that logic of believing in liberty, surely the Ukrainian rebels should be free of the Ukrainian government, and so they should be free to make their own country should they choose so.

Were they to be truly independent then i would agree, but in all likelyhood they will join Russia and come into conflict with point 1.

If we're really honest the story here is that Ukraine is a minor country being torn apart by two larger powers. Since neither of the big powers would accept them being truly independent, we essentially have to pick a side. I choose the west.
Reply 16
Wait, send 100k troops to Ukraine in order to stop things from getting out of control? Riiight.
Original post by Moosferatu
I do believe in liberty however I think the West's mandate on liberty is a paper tiger - mass surveillance, censorship, inane and unflinching attitudes towards drug prohibition, support for some of the most brutal and tyrannical regimes on the planet, to name a few examples of the hypocrisy of our governments. This talk of liberty is just a war drum to bang: I would rather we could be more confident in defending it but as it stands, we're not very different from Putin's mafia state. Just another great power that needs to chill out.

Even according to your own measures, Russia is worse since it conducts more intrusive surveillance, censorship and has harsher drugs laws. That is ignoring it's laws against Gays and etc.

So how exactly is Britain " not very different " from Putin's mafia state?

You can criticise Western hypocrisy and etc but the highlighted conclusion makes you sound like a crackpot.
Reply 18
The Russian bear will chew Britain up and spit it out like it's nothing. Britain won't be fighting mindless ill-equipped savages like those in Iraq/Afghanistan, Russians will put up a proper fight.

Besides, why would you want to go to war with Russia? They don't go around invading countries for oil. Just because they refuse to be America's bitch like the rest of the Europe, they're being framed for the Ukrainian crisis. Vladimir Putins probably the only leader with a spine and actually puts the interests of his people above anything else unlike the puppets we have here in Britain.
Reply 19
War? Against Russia? ARE YOU MAD???

Latest