Electrical Electronics Eng???Durham, Manchester, Bath, Warwick, Surrey or KCL???

Watch
atoengineer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey people, so I got offers from Durham, Manchester, Warwick, Bath and Surrey. KCL, Durham and Warwick only offers Electronics Engineering which is composed of 2 years of general engineering and a third year being electronics. However, Bath, Manchester, Surrey offers Electrical and Electronics. I already meet with the conditions, so the conditions are no problem. Since I am a student from overseas, I don't have too much information. Only KCL demands foundation year. Which one do you think have the highest international prestige among those universities, and best education? I heard Manchester has the highest prestige and is in the top 50 in the world according to ARWU, QS Rankings and the Times. Durham and Bath is in the top 5 in the UK according the Guardian and The Complete Study Guide. It would be great to hear your opinions...
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by atoengineer)
Hey people, so I got offers from Durham, Manchester, Warwick, Bath and Surrey. KCL, Durham and Warwick only offers Electronics Engineering which is composed of 2 years of general engineering and a third year being electronics. However, Bath, Manchester, Surrey offers Electrical and Electronics. I already meet with the conditions, so the conditions are no problem. Since I am a student from overseas, I don't have too much information. Only KCL demands foundation year. Which one do you think have the highest international prestige among those universities, and best education? I heard Manchester has the highest prestige and is in the top 50 in the world according to ARWU, QS Rankings and the Times. Durham and Bath is in the top 5 in the UK according the Guardian and The Complete Study Guide. It would be great to hear your opinions...
Manchester does have the best international reputation out of those, both generally and for EEE. In the UK, however, Surrey is considered to be slightly better than Manchester for EEE. Not that the difference really means that much as they're both excellent.

I'm currently a first year EEE student at Manchester if you have any questions specific to there.
username1553813
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I disagree. Warwick and KCL have the best reputation, as they are far more prestigious than that of Notts, Manchester and Surrey. Bath is in between. First of all, bar Surrey, they're all great institutions, so I guess you should ensure your course preference first. Manchester has very low entry requirements and literally allows students in with much lower grades than requested, and isn't in competition with the strength and reputation of Warwick and KCL. It is a fantastic institution, but nonetheless, is more of an option to those who get rejected by KCL and Warwick. Outside London, there are only 5 competing universities that aren't Oxbridge: Warwick, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh and (due to its overrated rep) St Andrews. The rest are unis for those nearby.

Good luck!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by atoengineer)
To be perfectly honest, ANY of the universities named are excellent. League tables need to be read with a LARGE pinch of salt.

In terms of prestige, there is little to choose - perhaps historically, Manchester has a global reputation because of it's wide ranging Alumini: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...chester_people

You also need to consider other factors including what it's like to live in the locations of those universities as well as the costs. Bath is a beautiful town with ancient (Roman) history and is a World Heritage site and hence has tons of tourists (at tourist prices). Manchester is a vibrant city renowned for it's night life, arts cultural heritage and variety. KCL is in London - at the pace of life and prices of London (one of the highest costs of living in the world). Warwick is smaller than Bath and not quite as touristy or quaint etc.

Don't get hung up on prestige - all of the universities you named are respectable establishments.

Your personality and living preferences will likely determine how much you enjoy your life at university in the UK more than the course content of which all will be an excellent standard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.74%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.93%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.69%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.73%

Watched Threads