Hg
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rishirabs
Hg

What?
Reply 42
Are the requirements for UK students lower? That's the impression i get

From what I understand of the process, and from what admissions officers and alumni interviewers have told me, your scores are not looked at in a vacuum. Instead, context is used to shape what your scores/extracurricular activities mean.

For example, a student at leading independent school with a history of sending students to American universities will be looked at differently to one at a failing state school. They might assume that the independent school student would have access to SAT coaching/revision classes or have the means to pay for them, which would lead them to expect more from that student. The same, I imagine, goes for extracurriculars.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Having it's roots as primarily a sporting conference, I doubt the current Ivies would be keen to travel to games/meets at Stanford etc and vice-versa.

Stanford is an Ivy though.
Original post by vaudevillain

No, no it isn't. So much ignorance.

Please, Google the term "Ivy League"
Hey, I'm considering applying to Columbia, Princeton and New York University post-A2 next admissions cycle. My grades are likely to be A*A*A*A (going off of mock results and predictions), however my AS Grades and GCSE grades aren't that good (AABB, with 3A*s 5As and 2Bs at GCSE). My extracurriculars are okay, mostly philanthropy and working with the government, as well as some published writing. Would you guys recommend I apply?
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
Hey, I'm considering applying to Columbia, Princeton and New York University post-A2 next admissions cycle. My grades are likely to be A*A*A*A (going off of mock results and predictions), however my AS Grades and GCSE grades aren't that good (AABB, with 3A*s 5As and 2Bs at GCSE). My extracurriculars are okay, mostly philanthropy and working with the government, as well as some published writing. Would you guys recommend I apply?

Give it a bash! I'd recommended applying to 5 - 10 unis though, due to the extremely low acceptance rates.

Re: the GCSE + AS grades, they won't hinder you a lot of US unis like to see progression in performance. It shows them you have the potential to develop academically.

ECs sound decent, maybe try to further one or two of them between now and applying - i.e. get involved on a high level, starting organizations etc.

Make sure to smash the SATs as well, both the SAT I and Subject Tests.
Original post by Princepieman
Give it a bash! I'd recommended applying to 5 - 10 unis though, due to the extremely low acceptance rates.

Re: the GCSE + AS grades, they won't hinder you a lot of US unis like to see progression in performance. It shows them you have the potential to develop academically.

ECs sound decent, maybe try to further one or two of them between now and applying - i.e. get involved on a high level, starting organizations etc.

Make sure to smash the SATs as well, both the SAT I and Subject Tests.

Thank you! I'm applying to 5 British Universities as well, but I'll try and add 2 more I like to my list.
Thank you! I'm applying to 5 British Universities as well, but I'll try and add 2 more I like to my list.

Ah, thing is, the application process here in the UK is so simple - applying to 5 universities here won't even scratch the effort required for 5 in the states.

What are you planning on studying?
Ah, thing is, the application process here in the UK is so simple - applying to 5 universities here won't even scratch the effort required for 5 in the states.

What are you planning on studying?

Politics and anthropology here, with English literature in the States.
Original post by vaudevillain

Yeah.....
Reply 51

Don't do what I did and not prepare that well for SATs.
I got 8A*s at GCSE and predicted 4As at AS and 4A*s at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Would the fact that I want to study Computer Science help in my application as it is one of the more unique degrees in the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
My mistake. Do US universities in general put more emphasis on extra curricular or on academic ?

You must have loads of extracurricular (foreign languages, volunteering, NGO, fundraising, school newspaper/project...). US unis want "bright and honest men", not good pupils.
Would the fact that I want to study Computer Science help in my application as it is one of the more unique degrees in the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't matter, you apply to the university in the States not the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Doesn't matter, you apply to the university in the States not the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If he/she is interested in applying to specific colleges like engineering (computer science is offered within this school at some universities) or business then your intended major definitely matters as you need to apply to that specific school within the university - it may be more or less competitive than the college of arts and sciences and thus your chances of getting in may be higher or lower. With that being said, many of the top universities don't have engineering, business etc schools (at undegrad level) so this may not apply.

*If you're applying for computer science at place like UC Berkeley or Caltech, for example, then your chances are actually lower than if you were applying for a less popular major such as english literature.
Original post by pbunny
If he/she is interested in applying to specific colleges like engineering (computer science is offered within this school at some universities) or business then your intended major definitely matters as you need to apply to that specific school within the university - it may be more or less competitive than the college of arts and sciences and thus your chances of getting in may be higher or lower. With that being said, many of the top universities don't have engineering, business etc schools (at undegrad level) so this may not apply.

*If you're applying for computer science at place like UC Berkeley or Caltech, for example, then your chances are actually lower than if you were applying for a less popular major such as english literature.

I know that, but OP didn't specify where they were applying - so the general piece of advice is not to worry too much.

Obviously, Wharton will be more competitive than the college of arts at UPenn for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I contacted Harvard UK admissions and they said that my scores were fine and they admit people who got lower scores

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay for you! and best of luck! I am applying this year too!

My motto is you never know until you try....with US universities you really never know what they're looking for. One of my interviewers even said that getting 800's etc on SAT may even work against you... i highly doubt that but you never know.
Reply 58
Original post by TheAnnabelle
Yay for you! and best of luck! I am applying this year too!

My motto is you never know until you try....with US universities you really never know what they're looking for. One of my interviewers even said that getting 800's etc on SAT may even work against you... i highly doubt that but you never know.

Hi,

How did your GCSEs go?
Have you done any SATs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

How did your GCSEs go?
Have you done any SATs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heya! My GCSE's were 10A*s and A

My AS levels were 4A (+B at further maths).

My A2 predictions are A*A*A*A!

I got a 1950 on the reasoning, 730 on the Math 2, 760 Spanish, 740 French!

I'm in Year 13 now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending