The Student Room Group

MA Stress

I am feeling low today and my confidence feels knocked .I am doing an MA in History part time and I received my first assignments back. They were both passes (one was a 54% and the other was 59%). I have had a six year gap since completing my BA so did not feel massively confident , but I also put a lot of reading and work into it so feel disappointed .I feel deflated and worry about the fact I could end up coming out of this with just a pass. I was considering doing my Phd but if I can't even get a merit I have no chance of a scholarship or even a place.Any words of wisdom and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Geek888
I am feeling low today and my confidence feels knocked .I am doing an MA in History part time and I received my first assignments back. They were both passes (one was a 54% and the other was 59%). I have had a six year gap since completing my BA so did not feel massively confident , but I also put a lot of reading and work into it so feel disappointed .I feel deflated and worry about the fact I could end up coming out of this with just a pass. I was considering doing my Phd but if I can't even get a merit I have no chance of a scholarship or even a place.Any words of wisdom and advice would be greatly appreciated.

You said yourself that you've had a six year gap, so it's normal to be a bit rusty. 54-59% isn't bad for what's essentially your first assignment in six years! No one one here can really offer much 'advice' -- just the general stuff, like keeping on top of your work and not letting it pile up. Don't be disheartened. Your best bet is to talk to your supervisor about your grades, and s/he should be able to give you advice on how to improve. Then you'll be ready for the next assignment. :smile:

Quick Reply