Urgent PLEASE! about universities requirements

Watch
Aladdin5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
There is a point that i cant understand. most universities require that student must sit for three Alevels in one sitting. Does this mean that i should sit for the three Alevels in one session or i could sit for the three Alevels in different sessions but without resitting anyone of them?! :confused:
Physflop
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aladdin5)
There is a point that i cant understand. most universities require that student must sit for three Alevels in one sitting. Does this mean that i should sit for the three Alevels in one session or i could sit for the three Alevels in different sessions but without resitting anyone of them?! :confused:
It just means 3 A levels in the same exam period without any retakes, not all 3 on the same day!
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
I can't imagine they'd have a problem with it but you should ask the admissions tutor to be sure. When they say 'in one sitting' they just mean no-retakes, not that you have to do all your A levels at the same time. Although, why you want to do A levels at different times is a bit of a mystery to me.
Aladdin5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Physflop)
It just means 3 A levels in the same exam period without any retakes, not all 3 on the same day!
I dont mean to take them on the same day. for example could i sit for Alevel Mathematics in june 2015 and then sit for Alevel Physics and Arabic on June 2016 or i must sit for the 3 of them either in june 2015 or june 2016
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aladdin5)
I dont mean to take them on the same day. for example could i sit for Alevel Mathematics in june 2015 and then sit for Alevel Physics and Arabic on June 2016 or i must sit for the 3 of them either in june 2015 or june 2016
If they specify all in one sitting, they mean all in the same exam season in the same academic year.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
If they specify all in one sitting, they mean all in the same exam season in the same academic year.
This is not always the case. I spoke to a number of admission tutors about this last year (I was studying at home and could only afford to do one A level at a time), I was told that as long as I didn't re-take exams then it wasn't a problem - and their websites said 'in one sitting'. This is why the OP must speak to the admission tutors directly.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
This is not always the case. I spoke to a number of admission tutors about this last year (I was studying at home and could only afford to do one A level at a time), I was told that as long as I didn't re-take exams then it wasn't a problem - and their websites said 'in one sitting'. This is why the OP must speak to the admission tutors directly.
Yes, always a good idea. They used to mean that they were okay with resits within the usual 2 year period as long as a whole year wasn't repeated, but that was when January resits existed, so things may have changed. It also depends on the individual university. I once called Edinburgh several years ago to ask this question and they didn't seem to understand the issue with A levels having possible unit resits because the person on the end of the phone was only familiar with Scottish Highers, so you can't always guarantee to get a straight answer. My interpretation has always been that they want evidence that an applicant is capable of handling the workload required in taking 3 A levels at a time as an indication of their suitability for university level study. Obviously, there are other considerations which may make them bend the rules in some cases.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
Often, though, exceptions will be made for applicants in a non-traditional setting, that won't be made for applicants who are following the traditional route through school and college. A lot of unis do understand that applicants studying A-levels via self study do face disadvantages and problems that students studying at school won't face. It's treated a bit like having extenuating circumstances, which would be another reason the "in one sitting" thing could be ignored.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (41)
18.39%
No one else does (73)
32.74%
I'm embarrassed about my background (22)
9.87%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (75)
33.63%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.35%
I don't have a camera (4)
1.79%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads