in your opinion , what is the toughest GCSE?

Watch
stehay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
for me - Georgraphy - perhaps because i am not very good at georgraphy but still.
Boople
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think art. It sounds easy, but it really isn't. He amount of work you have to put in for it is ridiculous, the grade boundaries are stupodly high (an A* is something like 97% raw marks), all for quite frankly, a bit of a useless GCSE.

Both english subjects is another one. Revising or better put, preparing, for it is difficult, writing the essays are difficult because you have to write about how the exam board interprets texts, and at the end of the day, how well you do often can depend on which examiner you get and what they think is a good answer.

Also I agree with geography, just because of the simple fact that you have to memorise about 16 different case studies. History aswell, due to the sheer amount of content.
happysmile
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For me it was definitely music - I'm more of a science and maths person and I don't mind writing essays - but music GCSE for me was a nightmare!
I guess the composing and performing parts were alright and I may have even enjoyed some aspects of it in the end, but I think I spent more time on my music composition than I did for my actual revision...
the listening paper was appalling, I don't even want to remember it; and lol I failed the timed composition task

But that's just me - more musically talented students would find the course enjoyable and easier than I did...
and others might find maths and sciences the most challenging so it depends on the individual...

ha i don't even know why i typed this much...
TheEccentric
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For me it is Drama. To be clear I'm not trying to say that it's an academic or at all, in any shape or form a useful, worthwhile or respected subject as it is a B.S., useless subject. However unlike academic subjects it is not straightforward and there's a load of crappy criteria you have to meet in order to get a decent mark, and even then the grade boundaries are sky-high. Furthermore even though you're marked individually it is unfair because if someone who is in your group for a performance cocks up it obviously has an effect on you.
Mahel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree, Geography has a lot of knowledge and key terms that's hard to learn

Posted from TSR Mobile
ruudiwolf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boople)
I think art. It sounds easy, but it really isn't. He amount of work you have to put in for it is ridiculous, the grade boundaries are stupodly high (an A* is something like 97% raw marks), all for quite frankly, a bit of a useless GCSE.

Both english subjects is another one. Revising or better put, preparing, for it is difficult, writing the essays are difficult because you have to write about how the exam board interprets texts, and at the end of the day, how well you do often can depend on which examiner you get and what they think is a good answer.

Also I agree with geography, just because of the simple fact that you have to memorise about 16 different case studies. History aswell, due to the sheer amount of content.
I completely agree, what exam board do you do for art? I do AQA fine art and the work we have to do for it is ridiculous, to the extent that I'm having to put off revision because there is so much to do. The grade boundaries are ridiculously high and I looked at last years UMS conversions-to get full UMS you have to get full marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
AstroNandos
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Further maths
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For me history, because of the essay style questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
frances98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AstroNandos)
Further maths
This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CancerousProblem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did GCSE art.
I came out with a rather embarrassing grade.
_ariane29
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing GCSE art and I agree, the amount of work you have to do to secure the high grades is rediculous because art is just so time consuming.

But French is definitely my hardest subject. It's just a nightmare.
A5ko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Food Tech.

Damn sausage rolls.
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For me It was probably history, It definetly required a lot of time dedicated to it in terms of revision because you had to make sure you knew key dates and what occurred in them, and for my medicine exam that was over 150 key dates. you also had to know the ins and outs of peoples discoveries, what it was like to live in the era (we did from prehistory to modern day in medicine). the knowledge was tough, especially because only some of the topics came up on the exam, so you were revising many of them pointlessly.

the exam style questions with a lot of practice were very simple, but the knowledge was so hard, my timeline saved my life.
username1495504
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Art and maths.
Lularose83
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English language was quite difficult, as was history in terms of amount of content. I think that physics and chemistry were the two I found the hardest whilst revising, but grade boundaries were pretty low (like 31/60 for one of my physics exams!) .
bookworm2015
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maths for me hehe!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
French
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
GCSE English Language because you cannot revise for it.
a96clark
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English language - I can speak English better than most but the mark scheme is just frankly comical. Plus the inability to revise for it sucks! It's such a joke of a GCSE!
genson
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English language because you can't revise for it and is too dependent on what examiner you get and how they interpret your answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
20.24%
I'm not sure (2)
2.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (23)
27.38%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.57%
I'm not a current university student (39)
46.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed