Where are all the european people? Watch

aureliotiziano
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
It's hard to be european in raleigh park, I've been here since october and really haven't met any other ones.

Do you know of any clubs-societies I could join to meet any non chinese and non indians?

Thanks
Rolli!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you count British as European then almost everybody here is.

Or do you mean mainland Europe?
aureliotiziano
Rep:
?
Also uk of course, but continental mainly

Fact is being at the business school, postgrad, there aren't any really

I'm starting to find this very annoying
Rolli!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well if you are so keen to avoid Chinese or Indian people the National Front probably have a branch somewhere.
Rolli!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
btw I was joking, don't join the NF.

But I reckon you could probably join quite a lot of societies and meet other Europeans, your country might even have their own society, you can see a list of all the societies here http://su.nottingham.ac.uk/activitie...eties_list.php
aureliotiziano
Rep:
?
Dude,

I don't see why wanting to meet some people who are more akin to you and your background should be interpreted like you implied.

I feelthe chinese and indians here make no effort in learning anything about the uk or tryng to fit in. They hang around the dorms, cook and only speak chinese.

I have chinese friends here, but for some relaxatio i'd like someone who is close to me on a cultural and behavioural basis.
Rolli!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by aureliotiziano)

I don't see why wanting to meet some people who are more akin to you and your background should be interpreted like you implied.

I know, sorry. It's this ****ty politically correct world we live in, it's starting to get to me.
simeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I feelthe chinese and indians here make no effort in learning anything about the uk or tryng to fit in. They hang around the dorms, cook and only speak chinese.
Nice to see the Indian students have gone to the trouble to learn Chinese.
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's normally only, and this is a crap statement, the chinese and other "oriental" ones who exclude themselves. The Indians aren't quite so bad, but then again there are far fewer of them so perhaps they're just harder to notice.
finnstar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
interesting discussion.. well heres one point of view.. the chinese and indians, usually are from asian backgrounds where theres a completely different culture.. its not far fetched to generalise one point, its hard for them to mix in when everyone seems intent on getting drunk.

however, i think its unfair to generalise that all 'chinese and indians' stay at in dorms cooking and speaking chinese. for one, we indians speak hindi. =) plus i think that some (not all!) make an effort to mix in, and we musnt be so quick to forget these few and make them feel welcome to set an example to the others. meanwhile on the other hand, we have have the same standards when we judge the locals, do they pressure the int'l to join them to drink in the bar? (i know some do, but ive also met some who are completely understanding)

personally, i feel theres wayy to much emphasis on drinking especially in week one (which could be a factor for segregation), but all the intl's have to do is find people who arent crazy intent on getting drunk and they'll have good friends.

and to my european friend, theres absolutely nothing wrong in seeking out other europeans, do as you please but keep an open mind towards other cultures -- we're all at uni to make new friends, despite the bad example set by the odd few.

=)
aureliotiziano
Rep:
?
I guess for you undergrads its different...not too many english people taking business masters at Jubilee, really.
fatboy06
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I get on with each of the oriental (dunno if that word is politically incorrect, and don't really care) guys on my floor great on an individual basis, but they have their own lives, which is fine for me as none of them are my "staple" friends if you get me. But I understand your frustration as you're at Raleigh.

Maybe a transfer is in order if it's that bad? To Broadgate or something? A trek from Jubilee, but the hopper bus goes from outside Willo/Cav...
khil
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Also uk of course, but continental mainly

Fact is being at the business school, postgrad, there aren't any really

I'm starting to find this very annoying
I never understand the sentiment of "I must hang out with people of my own race"... Sorry, but I just find it a bit annoying.

Anyway, to your question - almost everyone's British or European here. Does it matter whether they're British-born so they're basically English or you want English/European by blood? Anyhow, my boyfriend's German, I have 3 English friends, 1 half-English half Brazilian friend and 2 British-born Indians and 1 Bolivian friend. I'm British-Chinese, might as well be English. Most people on my course are English as far as I know. I share a house with my Bolivian friend and 2 British.

Btw I'm Chinese and I understand the sentiment of the Chinese people not integrating with the rest of the people. I, on the other hand, have no Chinese friend at uni lol. And to be a bit more helpful to you - why don't you try joining some random society? Any soc's are bound to have different people in there. There's French/German soc somewhere I remember, Hispanic soc, and I'm sure if you joined something like Christian Union, CockSoc, Living History or something, you'll find people. One of my housemate goes to CockSoc and as far as I know, all her friends there are British. Or the Writing soc, Art soc. Check out the different soc's. You're bound to find one you'll like.
Rolli!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by irisng)
Living History

Living History is awesome, I joined and get to spend most of saturday smacking people with swords and getting beaten up with broom handles.

Come along if you want to meet some European people, I know we have a few people from Europe, although the vast majority are English (from those I have met so far)

Saturday 2pm, Amphitheatre Garden next to L&W Hall.
khil
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rolli!)
Living History is awesome, I joined and get to spend most of saturday smacking people with swords and getting beaten up with broom handles.

Come along if you want to meet some European people, I know we have a few people from Europe, although the vast majority are English (from those I have met so far)

Saturday 2pm, Amphitheatre Garden next to L&W Hall.
Hehe yeh it does sound kinda fun, Living History. My bf and housemate's fiance used to be a member. I think my bf might've still got a scar or two from his battles!
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sounds just like role playing games... like playing dungeons and dragons or something equally geeky .
Rolli!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol I guess it is a bit geeky, still, a geek with armour, sword and shield is a geek to be feared.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Nottingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Fri, 13 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (413)
37.75%
No - but I will (83)
7.59%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (523)
47.81%

Watched Threads