The Student Room Group

What IB classes should I take for Software Engineering?

Hey guys,

So I will be starting IB very soon and eventually I want to go to a good engineering university in the US or Canada to studying Computer Sciences and Software Engineering. I was wondering what how to structure my IB classes, this is what I have so far:

HL - chemistry HL, physics HL, and computer science HL

Do I need to take Maths HL to study software at a good engineering university? should I take maths hl and then change physics to sl, or should can I take maths sl with two sciences hl?

Thanks!
Reply 1
I'd choose Maths, Physics, and Computer Science at HL, and drop Chemistry to SL because Maths is much more relevant to Computer Science than Chemistry. Any good CS degree will have a lot of maths in it.
Then again, most of the Physics HL syllabus is not related to CS, and the small part that is you can do at SL anyway. It's usually recommended to do physics because you get to practice your maths. But if you like chemistry better, then do that at HL and physics at SL, whatever you think will get you the most points.
Reply 2
But if I take physics HL, is it still acceptable to take maths sl? Can I still study Computer Science at a good university if I take mathematics SL, or will they not even consider? Thanks!
Reply 3
You can do perfectly fine in Physics HL with just Maths SL, there really isn't any complicated maths involved. A guy in my Physics HL class got a 7 and he took Maths SL.

As for CS, the top universities in the UK always ask for Maths HL, but there are very good universities which will accept a 7 in Maths SL. But you mentioned the US and Canada, and I'm afraid I don't really know much about their systems.

The best thing to do would be to look at some universities you're interested in and checking what their requirements are. If they don't specify any, maybe email them and ask what their opinion on SL vs HL maths for CS is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending