Worst 6th Form Colleges in London? Watch

Ritogrrl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Just checking what you all think? I am thinking of applying to some...I would recommend staying far away from London Brookes College, no one seems to know what they are doing there.:eek:
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The ones in Tower Hamlets are quite bad. They flop so many people. Search Sixth Form colleges in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ritogrrl)
Just checking what you all think? I am thinking of applying to some...I would recommend staying far away from London Brookes College, no one seems to know what they are doing there.:eek:
Newvic, Tower Hamlets, Hackney Community College, Havering Sixth, Bsix

Supposed 'good' sixth forms are Woodhouse, LaSwap, City and Islington, UCL Academy
ibzmo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I honestly can not figure out why there is so much negative stigma against Bsix. As a former student, I was so shocked to have received some of the best teaching I experienced there. Majority of A level students have been offered places at some of the best Russell group universities (including my self e.g. Warwick) and have received a levels with flying colours. More interestingly, they are a college that is known for having the lowest entry requirements while still producing amazing results. Indeed there is a level of internal scrutiny within bsix e.g. btech students, however in terms of the A level department they are guide outstanding. Just look at recent Ofsted reports.
yellowcopter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ibzmo)
I honestly can not figure out why there is so much negative stigma against Bsix. As a former student, I was so shocked to have received some of the best teaching I experienced there. Majority of A level students have been offered places at some of the best Russell group universities (including my self e.g. Warwick) and have received a levels with flying colours. More interestingly, they are a college that is known for having the lowest entry requirements while still producing amazing results. Indeed there is a level of internal scrutiny within bsix e.g. btech students, however in terms of the A level department they are guide outstanding. Just look at recent Ofsted reports.
I just mentioned BSix in my post because my friends who go there really dislike some of crowd and types of people there as you mentioned. OP asked for 'worst' sixth forms and I thought to be inclusive of the colleges/sixth forms as a whole rather than just focus on exam results. Every college has its pros and cons tbh.

So yeah good results, not the best type of people (from what I've heard).
Menakshelatte
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why am I not surprised that my college is listed on this thread :rolleyes: *sigh*
Cherry82
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3545545
Just trying to get this review out there. Please feel free to share your own experiences on that page also, it would be great to get and hear other people's journeys and experiences.
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yellowcopter)
Newvic, Tower Hamlets, Hackney Community College, Havering Sixth, Bsix

Supposed 'good' sixth forms are Woodhouse, LaSwap, City and Islington, UCL Academy
Not suprised Havering Sixth is there :lol:
My physics teacher was hardly in tbh :rofl:
yellowcopter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
Not suprised Havering Sixth is there :lol:
My physics teacher was hardly in tbh :rofl:
Got to be be biased from my experiences. Havering isn't terrible but, at times it's definitely 'sub par!'

Some departments have good teachers like Humanities who mark your work, tell you how to improve, actually teach and make lessons and homework engaging and useful.

Others have lazy and incompetent teachers, calling out IT and Sciences once again. Instances of being picked on, being taught using YouTube videos how to program and no actual teaching being taught for programming, never marking work, loads of favouritism going on the list goes on. It's usually because they're under-qualified and from poor universities. Where as with the Arts they seem to have just a bit better teachers from notably better universities.

As you said, the Science department especially are known to be lacking and a lot of them are hardly ever in.

At least the students were okay. But no regrets on leaving, and no suggestions of people going here unless they wish to study Arts or study completely independently with zero help from teachers...

Some students have done well in the Sciences on their results page this year but they're always the smart anomalies who are able to just work themselves and through books alone. When you look at those who go on to Cambridge and Oxford though, they're almost always Arts students going into PPE, Law, History, Social Sciences or English. In my opinion I'm just guessing it's because the departments are much better.
toonervoustotalk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Got to be be biased from my experiences. Havering isn't terrible but, at times it's definitely 'sub par!'

Some departments have good teachers like Humanities who mark your work, tell you how to improve, actually teach and make lessons and homework engaging and useful.

Others have lazy and incompetent teachers, calling out IT and Sciences once again. Instances of being picked on, being taught using YouTube videos how to program and no actual teaching being taught for programming, never marking work, loads of favouritism going on the list goes on. It's usually because they're under-qualified and from poor universities. Where as with the Arts they seem to have just a bit better teachers from notably better universities.

As you said, the Science department especially are known to be lacking and a lot of them are hardly ever in.

At least the students were okay. But no regrets on leaving, and no suggestions of people going here unless they wish to study Arts or study completely independently with zero help from teachers...

Some students have done well in the Sciences on their results page this year but they're always the smart anomalies who are able to just work themselves and through books alone. When you look at those who go on to Cambridge and Oxford though, they're almost always Arts students going into PPE, Law, History, Social Sciences or English. In my opinion I'm just guessing it's because the departments are much better.
Yeah
I am actually friends with the guy who got 4A* and is going to cambridge
But A levels are mainly about independent learning
The teachers can help you but most of it is from you working hard to get the grades you need
yellowcopter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
Yeah
I am actually friends with the guy who got 4A* and is going to cambridge
But A levels are mainly about independent learning
The teachers can help you but most of it is from you working hard to get the grades you need
That's true, but again that doesn't mean teachers should leave you to completely do everything independently. My Computing teacher spoke about 2 words a lesson, the rest was taught through YouTube videos. There's a difference between a couple lessons being independent research/learning to EVERY lesson being independent learning. That's just taking the liberty out of the 'A-Levels involve independent study' factor.
Anikah44
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ibzmo)
what are the entry requirements for studying A level?
username3489684
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just mentioned BSix in my post because my friends who go there really dislike some of crowd and types of people there as you mentioned. OP asked for 'worst' sixth forms and I thought to be inclusive of the colleges/sixth forms as a whole rather than just focus on exam results. Every college has its pros and cons tbh.

So yeah good results, not the best type of people (from what I've heard).
i get the streotype because there's a bad crowd that hangs around there but I know some firends who go there annd they are reallly intelligent
xrecon18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
LDE UTC Sixth Form is one of the worst 6th Forms I've ever witnessed in my life... They have resources and they are an Engineering school. One Minute they say that it will be a college, but later they change it to a sixth form. And the teaching quality is beyond rubbish. Hell the school doesn't even have a detention system. The headmaster is too busy advertising his school that he cannot afford good lunches. The head of Engineering is an old man with a bad attitude. He expects us to learn Engineering (Year 1) on our own. He gives us the information and then wants us to figure it out. The machines in the school always malfunction. And staff members are not welcoming. The toilets are of filth conditions. I regret entering this college. I am currently going to UTC college as a year 12 student talking through experience. Our school has had a ton of teachers retiring as it is such a poor school, and our physics has been cancelled due to the lack of staff members. If you want to go to an Engineering college, then UTC is a defo no no. Please do not make the same mistake as I did.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.33%
No I haven't decided yet (50)
22.22%
Yes but I might change my mind (37)
16.44%

Watched Threads