How does Higher English affect my chances of getting into engineering?

Watch this thread
HannahM98
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,
I'm currently in 4th year of high school in scotland and studying natinal 5 English and by the looks of my prelim results I don't seem to be doing very well on the subject. I got a C on the prelim and this has caused me to start worrying a bit. For aeronautical engineering the minimum entry requirement is AAAA or AAABB in 5th year and AAAAAB in 6th year in Glasgow uni. My English might cause some problems in my overall grade combination. Do you think that I should stick to English and get whatever grade or drop it in 5th year and not worry about it anymore and concentrate on my other subjects which are: Computing Science, physics, maths, French & art? Any advice would be much appreciated
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HannahM98)
Hello,
I'm currently in 4th year of high school in scotland and studying natinal 5 English and by the looks of my prelim results I don't seem to be doing very well on the subject. I got a C on the prelim and this has caused me to start worrying a bit. For aeronautical engineering the minimum entry requirement is AAAA or AAABB in 5th year and AAAAAB in 6th year in Glasgow uni. My English might cause some problems in my overall grade combination. Do you think that I should stick to English and get whatever grade or drop it in 5th year and not worry about it anymore and concentrate on my other subjects which are: Computing Science, physics, maths, French & art? Any advice would be much appreciated
I used to suck at English as well. Last year, I took Higher English and failed the prelim realllllyyyy badly. Turns out I got a B in the end, one mark from an A even. What redeemed me was my folio and close reading. Basically, if you find topics you truly love and give it your all in them you'll get awesome marks for English. For close reading, there is a systematic way to answer questions - I'd recommend getting 'How to Pass Higher English" it's all in there.

I'd say go with English. It's a very respected subject and although it can be excruciatingly boring, it'll help hone your essay writing and critical thinking skills - things that you will need at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
HannahM98
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I know that it's a very respected subject but the thing with me is that English isn't my first language so that makes me a bit different but the main question was that will not having higher English decrease my chance of getting into software/aeronautical engineering?
SerLorasTyrell
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Try your best this year and if it's genuinely not your thing and you would enjoy the other subject more than drop it going into S5.

However make sure you don't need it for the courses you want to apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HannahM98)
I know that it's a very respected subject but the thing with me is that English isn't my first language so that makes me a bit different but the main question was that will not having higher English decrease my chance of getting into software/aeronautical engineering?
Not really, you just need solid Maths + Physics grades and then three other subjects you enjoy (as you said Computing, French and Art).

Posted from TSR Mobile
PineapplePol
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You don't need higher English for engineering any more. They do like a good grade at standard grade or equivalent. I'm dyslexic so dropped it after 4th year after checking unis weren't bothered. They want maths and physics to as high a level as possible plus 3 others. I did maths physics chemistry tech studies and German. I found German easier than English as the spelling is more intuitive but you don't need a Language. I then did maths physics and tech at AH and crashed computing higher. I got 5 unconds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
19.17%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.83%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.67%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (20)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (30)
25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.67%

Watched Threads